• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sword Art Online II (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Man they really killed off Asuna's character. She went from the 2nd/3rd strongest in Aincard to just another girl in love. Well I expect good stuff from the new girl. She is voiced by one of my favorite VAs, Miyuki Sawashiro.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:34 pm Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
Man they really killed off Asuna's character. She went from the 2nd/3rd strongest in Aincard to just another girl in love.

... What exactly were you expecting her to do? Beat up some random tourists just because she can? Does she really need to go around acting like a tough girl regardless of context just to reassure people that she's strong? If, say, they had been accosted by some hoodlums and Asuna cowered in a corner while Kazuto beat them up you'd have a point. But that didn't happen.

Anyways, it's notworthy that they didn't even bother trying to get anyone up to speed, they just trusted their audience to know all that stuff already (especially after the Extra Edition). So we didn't waste any time with reintroductions and dove right into the new storyline.

If Kazuto and Asuna want to interact with Yui in the real world, all they have to do is kidnap the one on the left, dye her hair black, and then upload Yui's mind into her.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
Man they really killed off Asuna's character. She went from the 2nd/3rd strongest in Aincard to just another girl in love.

... What exactly were you expecting her to do? Beat up some random tourists just because she can? Does she really need to go around acting like a tough girl regardless of context just to reassure people that she's strong? If, say, they had been accosted by some hoodlums and Asuna cowered in a corner while Kazuto beat them up you'd have a point. But that didn't happen.

No but she can think of something better "I want to be with you forever". Kirito gave a legit answer, she just gave your atypical female in love response.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm torn between my love for video games, and my dislike for the two SAO main characters. I hated most of season 1, but I thought I would still check this out. I loved the beginning dialogue (more nerd language! Now!), but the rest of the episode sort of...bleh. Still, I'll check out as many episodes as I can, because I like giving things a chance before calling it bad. I don't like that Shinon is very similar to Reki from Aria the Maroon Ammo though :/
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:15 pm Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
No but she can think of something better "I want to be with you forever". Kirito gave a legit answer, she just gave your atypical female in love response.

Deciding to be a wife/mother is a perfectly legitimate option. Arguably it's one of the hardest but most rewarding paths to take.

Besides, she's rich. She doesn't have to do shit Laughing
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:36 pm Reply with quote
That was a huge huge HUGE info dump they just laid on us. Well at least they got all the technical stuff out of the way so it won't need to come up later.

Kirito swordsspoiler[ look like lightsabers when he deflecting all those bullets lol. Death Gun might as well be Darth Vader Confused]
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:19 am Reply with quote
I loved Kirito and Asuna being all lovey-dovey and cute and I loved that Kirito spent his meeting eating cute cakes and I loved that his initial response was a slightly more polite spoiler["F*CK OFF!!"] to entering another game where he could spoiler[ die...AGAIN.]

Poor kid. You are cursed now. You cannot escape it, can you? I can't decide whether this is a case of "Blessed With Suck" or "Cursed With Awesome". He's so sick of it... Anime hyper

OP sounds and looks good.
casualfan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:04 am Reply with quote
Now that the new game is fps I'm hoping for more tactical and strategy-oriented battles this time around. The whole in-game gender-swap thing still makes me shudder, though.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:53 am Reply with quote
casualfan wrote:
The whole in-game gender-swap thing still makes me shudder, though.

His avatar isn't a girl, it's a trap.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:36 am Reply with quote
First, DO NOT WATCH THE ENDING if you are a new viewer who wants to be surprised. Don't watch the opening of the next one either, as I assume that's where it will now be. It is chock full of spoilery stuff that takes a lot of fun out of the reveals.

Anyways, my big surprise, having read the books, is how sci-fi high tech everything is. From the descriptions from the book, I always pictured a more Trigun setting, or at most Borderlands, with the cafe in the opening scene being some dusty cantina in a sprawling, busted down western town. There was reference to a crashed spaceship (not important to the plot) but I figured it was a complete ruins, not this massive skyscrapery thing.

Quote:
Man they really killed off Asuna's character. She went from the 2nd/3rd strongest in Aincard to just another girl in love. Well I expect good stuff from the new girl. She is voiced by one of my favorite VAs, Miyuki Sawashiro.

Without getting too spoilery, she isn't likely to do much in this arc. To get very slightly spoilery, spoiler[they might at some point fold in a side story that involves her being a bit more badass, and she does have a role to play in the next arc, but this one she mostly sits out.]

Quote:
If this thing gets even 1/20th of the coolness and depth of Log Horizon I'll be amazed. It used it's MMO-world setting brilliantly. But I highly doubt it will since they seem to be aiming for totally different things.

I've watched both series and read the SAO books up through the middle of the Alicization arc (the one after this one), and while I love both, I do love Log Horizon more. It does give a much better feel for standard MMOs. That said, they definitely are doing two different things, with Log Horizon exploring what would happen if an MMO became really real, with all the magic and UI elements intact, while SAO is more about exploring the man-machine interface, the digitization of the human experience. It's kind of like comparing The Matrix (SAO) to the old school Dungeons and Dragons cartoon (setting aside relative quality, of course).
Clarste

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:16 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
or at most Borderlands,

I just realized that GGO is basically a Borderlands VRMMO. Well, without the sense of humor.

Various other screenshots show it as more ruined, so I think just the capital city is more developed.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:36 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

GGO looks like what I am kind of expecting Destiny to be like. I do play a couple online shooters, some Halo and a bit of Titanfall, as well as playing quite a number of FPS in general, so I will be looking forward to more.

We had quite a bit of just talking this episode, but not necessarily a bad thing, the start of the Alfheim game also had quite a bit of talking, and how could I not enjoy some Kirito and Asuna flirting. And Kirito talking about development of further dive technology and even AR, which are aspects in Accel World.

For the plot, will it be some sort of trick spoiler[into tricking the brain into having a heart attack]? I thought maybe something like spoiler[adrenaline could be involved], but probably more complex, kind of like I did not quite understand the talk in this episode about space and time.

We also need the rest of the gang to have at least some cameos.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:07 am Reply with quote
Looks like this will be fun.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:33 am Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:

Yeah i pretty much agree. Honestly I don't think Asuna is ever going to be back to quite the peak she was in the first arc. After the second arc literally took a giant dump on her I just don't see there being any way for them to properly build that awesomeness she had back up. I liked how she was strong, dependable but very clingy to Kirito. That i don't mind (in fact i find it kind of cute). But when the clingyness is all that there is left to her character that's when it gets annoying. I think the problem is that the show simply has to remove her from the action so they can fully focus on developing the relationships Kirito has with other girls.

The second arc was mostly spent on Suguha while this arc is obviously going to heavily involve Shino. And i noticed that on MAL Asuna isn't listed as a main character anymore. She is now only a supporting character which means her role will be even further lessened here. While I do like that the show spends time developing other characters it is a big no no for me when some of the main characters get completely shunned from the spotlight for extended periods of time (unless it's a long running shounen in which case you can afford to do stuff like that).

[EDIT: Please try to not over-quote. Thanks. -TK]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:41 am Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
[The second arc was mostly spent on Suguha while this arc is obviously going to heavily involve Shino. And i noticed that on MAL Asuna isn't listed as a main character anymore. She is now only a supporting character which means her role will be even further lessened here.

Because Kirito is going to invite his girlfriend who as far as we know has no experience with FPS to join him in a job he has almost been forced into, where people could die?

Kirito's specialty is games and the technology, and has the reputation of bringing down two big cases, there might surely there might be other things going on for her, it is not like her entire worth is in doing game adventures with Kirito. Maybe she would not approve of him possibly putting his life on the line for money also.

So much negativity about Asuna whenever she is not being a strong warior, even when she does quite well in trying to escape when made a damsel in distress, and able to go on with the deep conversations.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 115