• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sword Art Online II (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:32 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

Sinon's not part of his harem; she's part of his gaming party.

Oooooohh, so that's what they call them nowadays? That's a great lesson for all the guys out there. If you want to have a large number of sexy girls you get to play around with and not have your wife get angry, call them all your "gaming party." That'll fool her! Smile

Yttrbio wrote:
Kirito's harem is just boring at this point. There aren't any interesting stories left to tell about their relationship with Kirito or each other. Their banter is tired and devoid of character. Much of the dialogue in this episode could easily be swapped between characters without much dissonance.

Also, agreed 100%.
Bugnin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:36 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

Oooooohh, so that's what they call them nowadays? That's a great lesson for all the guys out there. If you want to have a large number of sexy girls you get to play around with and not have your wife get angry, call them all your "gaming party." That'll fool her! Smile

Or...you know, you could marry a real woman and not a fictional cartoon stereotype....
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:56 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Chiibi wrote:

Sinon's not part of his harem; she's part of his gaming party.

Unfortunately my gaming party is just me, I go solo. The only ones I rely on are my hands as well as my laptop and TV. Some particularly long sessions really tend to give me cramps. It is not all bad though, it means I can totally go at my own pace.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:31 pm Reply with quote
I am finding it quite hilarious though to see the responses from people claiming that real people in real relationships don't deal with issues of jealousy and fears about infidelity. You guys are like fully absorbed into the perfect 2d world.
Bugnin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:37 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
I am finding it quite hilarious though to see the responses from people claiming that real people in real relationships don't deal with issues of jealousy and fears about infidelity. You guys are like fully absorbed into the perfect 2d world.

Yes, those would be insecure people and people who actually do deal with infidelity issues.

well-grounded people in relationships that work do not act like cartoon sterotypes. To not just expect, but demand that is just....well, idiotic.

This may come as a shock, but most women I know do not see themselves as distrusting, super-possessive sociopaths. That's just how I imagine women-hating men see them. While I'm sure such women DO exist, it certainly isn't the norm.

Last edited by Bugnin on Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Pretty much agree with Chibi. If Kirito had more male friends to off set the female numbers it would be one thing but one guy normally hanging around 5 other females? Shit I'd love to find a women in the real world who would COMPLETELY FINE with her boyfriend doing that. We'd have to save her genes for cloning.

Once you start going out with someone it can be pretty stressful being friendly around others girls with your girlfriend around (or when she isn't around as well). Not that they don't have a reason to be suspicious since a lot of guys DO cheat on their girlfriends around Kirito's age.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:58 pm Reply with quote
I can see that being more an issue if he was hanging around girls who weren't mutual friends with Asuna. In fact, there's no evidence to suggest he meets up with them when she isn't around (except Suguha for obvious reasons).
Bugnin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
I can see that being more an issue if he was hanging around girls who weren't mutual friends with Asuna. In fact, there's no evidence to suggest he meets up with them when she isn't around.

One is Kirito's sister, another is Asuna's best friend. Another is a girl Asuna herself asked to join their ALO group.

Not to mention Kirito doesn't hang out with any of them outside of ALO except Sugu (again...sister)

This is a really dumb topic.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:08 pm Reply with quote
It's a question of trust, and Asuna trusts her man and her friends.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Bugnin wrote:

This may come as a shock, but most women I know do not see themselves as distrusting, super-possessive sociopaths.

Yes, yes I know any woman who feels concerned about her boyfriend spending tons of time hanging out with 4 other hot girls and teasing/playing around with them is a distrusting, super-possessive sociopath, i.e. a total bitch.

I suppose it is kind of pointless to even discuss this issue though. At the end of the day, we all already know that Asuna has been crafted as the perfect waifu. She is the amazingly hot, popular girl that totally loves the otaku.. I mean, Kirito, unconditionally and never questions anything he does. They never have to work at their relationship, because it is automatically perfect. She trusts everything he does and never questions him. That's exactly how all women should be. Any woman who might even think about questioning anything her boyfriend/husband does is just a psycho. So yea, Asuna and the otaku.. err Kirito! (I keep forgetting) will NEVER have to work hard at maintaining a successful relationship and/or marriage. Kirito will never have to compromise in any way to show her how much he loves her. She automatically knows that 100%, because she is a 2d girlfriend who can never question him. She's simply not programmed for that. So yea, the otaku boyfriend will always have completely free reign to go out with other girls and flirt with them, and the waifu will just smile and make him sandwiches and stuff, because she knows nothing other than his love for her.

Yea, I forgot for a minute that that's the world we are operating in with shows like this.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:12 pm Reply with quote
The only part that is "strange" is that realistically the party would be closer to a balance of gender than disproportionately female players, but this is a fictional setting and the author wanted to have as many possible female interests for the audience as possible.
Bugnin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:14 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Bugnin wrote:

This may come as a shock, but most women I know do not see themselves as distrusting, super-possessive sociopaths.

Yes, yes I know any woman who feels concerned about her boyfriend spending tons of time hanging out with 4 other hot girls and teasing/playing around with them is a distrusting, super-possessive sociopath, i.e. a total bitch.

Actually? Yes. He's given her absolutely no reason not to trust him. He doesn't even see any of the others without her being around.

Quote:

I suppose it is kind of pointless to even discuss this issue though. At the end of the day, we all already know that Asuna has been crafted as the perfect waifu. She is the amazingly hot, popular girl that totally loves the otaku.. I mean, Kirito, unconditionally and never questions anything he does. They never have to work at their relationship, because it is automatically perfect. She trusts everything he does and never questions him. That's exactly how all women should be. Any woman who might even think about questioning anything her boyfriend/husband does is just a psycho. So yea, Asuna and the otaku.. err Kirito! (I keep forgetting) will NEVER have to work hard at maintaining a successful relationship and/or marriage. Kirito will never have to compromise in any way to show her how much he loves her. She automatically knows that 100%, because she is a 2d girlfriend who can never question him. She's simply not programmed for that. So yea, the otaku boyfriend will always have completely free reign to go out with other girls and flirt with them, and the waifu will just smile and make him sandwiches and stuff, because she knows nothing other than his love for her.

Yea, I forgot for a minute that that's the world we are operating in with shows like this.

I can't figure out if this is mindless rambling, or mindless trolling. Either way, you win whatever contest you were playing...
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Bugnin wrote:
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Bugnin wrote:

Actually? Yes.

Wow, I didn't think you were actually going to give me this one ;0

I guess I hit the mark a lot closer than I thought I did.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Bugnin wrote:
This may come as a shock, but most women I know do not see themselves as distrusting, super-possessive sociopaths. That's just how I imagine women-hating men see them. While I'm sure such women DO exist, it certainly isn't the norm.

I think they're more in abundance than you think, though I wouldn't limit it to women. Men get jealous too when their girlfriends pal around too much with their friends (though for simplicity, I'll only address the one side).

In my experience, men can usually only have friendships with women who have boyfriends/husbands already, thus neutralizing the threat. A single woman, regardless of anything else, is a threat.

I had a friend in college who I called once to see how he was doing a few years after I'd last seen him, and his wife answered the phone. She was like that woman in the insurance ad, hostile from the moment she heard a female voice. I assured her he was just an old friend, that I lived 3000 miles away, and asked her to just tell him I called. I called back a couple of weeks later to find their phone disconnected, and that's the last I've ever heard of him. And he's not the only male friend who has been disappeared from my life once they got into a relationship. This saddens but also amazes me, since I'm no beauty, and there's no sexual tension to be picked up on when I'm talking to these friends, but boy if looks could kill, I'd be a pincushion from the daggers I've received from their gf/wives just from talking to them. I'm sure they don't see themselves as super-possessive, but merely protective of their relationship.

Considering that Kirito has done quite a bit more than talk, the fact that Asuna doesn't so much as twitch a brow is remarkable - and I'm not complaining about it. It's kind of a nice departure from the usual anime and rl reactions I'm accustomed to. Frankly, I had more of a problem with the tailpull itself, which was funny since people don't have tails, but in this context is tantamount to slapping her on the butt since she feels it as part of her body. Not something you do to someone who's just been through a terrifying assault. But hey, that's all in the past, no PTSD over attempted rape and murder, eh? Smile
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Just watched that fruity harem show, which provided an interesting alternative approach to pointless harem banter. Watching a bunch of friends just hanging out, as in this arc in SAO, just isn't entertaining for someone to watch. There's a reason harem characters in entertainment tend to be completely insane.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 71 of 115