• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sword Art Online II (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Watching a bunch of friends just hanging out, as in this arc in SAO, just isn't entertaining for someone to watch.

Slice of Life works out very well contrary to your opinion.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

I think they're more in abundance than you think, though I wouldn't limit it to women. Men get jealous too when their girlfriends pal around too much with their friends.

Yep.

Quote:

In my experience, men can usually only have friendships with women who have boyfriends/husbands already, thus neutralizing the threat. A single woman, regardless of anything else, is a threat.

Yep yep.

Quote:

the tailpull... in this context is tantamount to slapping her on the butt since she feels it as part of her body.

Triple yep.

A lot of people here are not understanding that when you get in a real, long term relationship with someone, you make a WHOLE lot of sacrifices. You are settling down with the one person you love. You don't have the same leeway to be out and about with a gaggle of hot individuals of your preferred sex, teasing and grabbing and slapping each other on the ass. Even if you have absolutely no intention of sleeping with them, it is simply disrespectful to your significant other. You will have to learn how to respect them and both will make compromises on things you used to do when you were single and fooling around.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:57 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
Quote:
Watching a bunch of friends just hanging out, as in this arc in SAO, just isn't entertaining for someone to watch.

Slice of life characters are insane for the exact same reason.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
FenixFiesta wrote:
Quote:

Slice of life characters are insane for the exact same reason.

The word you probably mean to use is "eccentric", you might be correct in that most of the personalities in the current set up are "not loud" but just as well the audience would have already understood this so if you or anyone still watching expects something different than from what has been set up so far... that is the fault of the viewer and not the series if it is "disappointing".
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Episode #15:

Magical fantasy with innovative monster designs is great. However, the necessary harem setting, which is nothing like real RPG teams, always reminds how fake the story is. Lets hope it will be interesting enough for this factor would become less noticeable.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
A lot of people here are not understanding that when you get in a real, long term relationship with someone, you make a WHOLE lot of sacrifices. You are settling down with the one person you love. You don't have the same leeway to be out and about with a gaggle of hot individuals of your preferred sex, teasing and grabbing and slapping each other on the ass. Even if you have absolutely no intention of sleeping with them, it is simply disrespectful to your significant other. You will have to learn how to respect them and both will make compromises on things you used to do when you were single and fooling around.

It's disrespectful to your significant other to behave in a way that you know they do not approve of. Kirito's behavior is not disrespectful of Asuna because she is self-assured enough to not find his behavior threatening. She knows that he only has eyes for her, and he does. If he'd ever given her reason for concern, it might be a different matter.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:

It's disrespectful to your significant other to behave in a way that you know they do not approve of. Kirito's behavior is not disrespectful of Asuna because she is self-assured enough to not find his behavior threatening. She knows that he only has eyes for her, and he does. If he'd ever given her reason for concern, it might be a different matter.

Well that's kind of the point of what I was saying earlier. She is Kawahara's perfect fantasy wife. She's never going to be concerned about anything he does because he can just write her in any way he wants to. She's his 2d girl. I do think his fantasy is pretty unrealistic though.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:55 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
The word you probably mean to use is "eccentric", you might be correct in that most of the personalities in the current set up are "not loud" but just as well the audience would have already understood this so if you or anyone still watching expects something different than from what has been set up so far... that is the fault of the viewer and not the series if it is "disappointing".
The audience would also have understood that SAO is not a slice-of-life show, so it doesn't have characters to support a slice-of-life story. The writer should have the same understanding. Without some external pressure, these guys are dull as rocks.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
She knows that he only has eyes for her, and he does. If he'd ever given her reason for concern, it might be a different matter.

His eyes are for her, sure. But what about his grabby little hands? Very Happy That might give a woman pause.

I will say that being a close friend does remove the threat factor almost as much as having a bf/husband. But Asuna isn't close friends with Sion, and Sion is the one Kirito's been most touchy-feely with. She's witnessed that with her own eyes. But again, I'm ok with her being ok with it. Smile

Btw, if you've never noticed any of this sort of byplay going on in your own life, it may well be that you were just unaware of it. The party in the middle often has no idea there's any tension at all between significant other and his/her friends, and even if they do pick up on something and ask, it's likely to be waved off.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Has this thread turned into an elementary relationship group therapy session or what? Enough already. Asuna and Kirito are as satisfying an anime couple to watch as I have seen for a long time. Leave it at that.
Bugnin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:53 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Ohoni wrote:

Well that's kind of the point of what I was saying earlier. She is Kawahara's perfect fantasy wife. She's never going to be concerned about anything he does because he can just write her in any way he wants to. She's his 2d girl. I do think his fantasy is pretty unrealistic though.

Asuna trusts her partner and isn't accusing him of being unfaithful when he is in fact not being unfaithful. Therefore, she's a totally unrealistic female....

Juuuuust a tad insulting, I'm guessing?
Bugnin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:53 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Has this thread turned into an elementary relationship group therapy session or what? Enough already. Asuna and Kirito are as satisfying an anime couple to watch as I have seen for a long time. Leave it at that.
nope, the trolls are out in full force tonight.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:41 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
The only part that is "strange" is that realistically the party would be closer to a balance of gender than disproportionately female players, but this is a fictional setting and the author wanted to have as many possible female interests for the audience as possible.

Agreed, although ALO does strike me as a more female player-attractive setting that most VRMMOs. (Heck, my nieces would lose sleep over their eagerness to try out ALO, and they don't otherwise play MMOs at all.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:01 pm Reply with quote
the info dump was dull, but but the way they were treating it super seriously was pretty amusing.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Are we seriously still having fights over saying this is totally be a harem and that Asuna is not upset is unrealistic? Can we look at each individual character?

Suguha: His sister (cousin), the two even fight like it like when she considers something cute and he doesn't.

Lisbeth: Asuna's best friend, she was even introduced to Kirito through Asuna. It is not entirely clear if Asuna knows if Lesbeth has held feelings for Kirito, but we can assume that the three became close in SAO.

Klein: He did get bit touchy with Kirito, and I am pretty sure he said that he was good looking when they first met. But joking aside he is a friend.

Sinon: So Kirito touched her during the time she was being hunted, with likely a killer watching her in the real world. Kirito introduced her to Asuna and Lisbeth because Sinon is in a pretty desperate need of friends she could meet in the real world, and actually understand her, pluss the same age. It is not like we have seen her blush or act tsundere in the episode.

Silica: Actually this is one I most wonder about, she seems to want the skinship, and I don't know how she went from the girl he met that one time to being in their clique, and I think is actually a year younger than Suguha, two years younger than Kirito, and three years younger than Asuna and Lisbeth. At the very least from what we have seen she seems to get along with Lisbeth well.

Asuna: Do we really want to see her get angry at Kirito when he interacts with another who is his family member or her friend?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 72 of 115