• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sword Art Online II (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

And even though your impression was refuted by Key two pages ago, you're still seeing everything CK says as a criticism of the series. What it looks to me like is a disagreement about whether or not SAO has a harem set-up, and fans get really bent out of shape trying to deny this as if it will ruin the entire series for them if someone else sees that structure in it.

Yep, this is pretty much it. Bugnin keeps saying that I have this massive hate for all things SAO, even though I've already said it was my #3 show from the summer and Theron already corrected him of the fact that I have many times given good grades to the show when it is doing things that I think deserve good grades. From what I recall, even as much as I had disappointments with the first season I still gave it a B-.

But, that would require he actually pay attention to what I am saying and not just argue against a straw man.
Bugnin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Instead of re-quoting someone who came to your rescue, you could cite your own thoughts and past posts to explain why I'm wrong.

Or....you just can't.

And by all means, feel free to keep on pretending like I'm the only one here that sees it.
TUSF

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Bugnin wrote:
Yeah but Xaxa's Estoc was essentially unblockable by Kirito's light saber. That's how he was landing so many hits.

Unblockable.. how? Are you saying it was literally impossible for him to block it, or are you saying Kirito was just to slow to block them.
The former is silly, and the latter still agrees with what I was saying: XaXa did not have a superior weapon, but was still beating Kirito.
Bugnin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:28 pm Reply with quote
TUSF wrote:
Bugnin wrote:
Yeah but Xaxa's Estoc was essentially unblockable by Kirito's light saber. That's how he was landing so many hits.

Unblockable.. how? Are you saying it was literally impossible for him to block it, or are you saying Kirito was just to slow to block them.
The former is silly, and the latter still agrees with what I was saying: XaXa did not have a superior weapon, but was still beating Kirito.

again, LN time:

Quote:
The lightsaber in my hand couldn’t block the attack, and I couldn’t dodge it at will as it was sand below me. The sharp needle then continued to stab into my body.

Xaxa's estoc was simply more durable than the energy sword, which obviously isn't a solid substance. Either it was going to slice through the Estoc or the Estoc was going to slice through the energy sword.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Honestly, I'd rather read one of MaxSouth's rambles than see posts from you, at this point.

Lol, oh I wouldn't go THAT far.

..........I think I'd rather have someone beat me unconcious than read a post by MaxSouth about any anime, ever. Laughing

As far as the group playing without Kirito, what do you think they were doing all that time BEFORE they went to see his battle? I think they were playing ALO and I think they were enjoying it. Asuna was distracted, sure, because she didn't have all the info on GGO and felt uneasy. But the others were certainly having fun and it's natural to go watch your friend and cheer them on during a big battle or competition. Who wouldn't do that? Crappy friends. :p
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Bugnin wrote:
...are you thinking of someone else? I barely posted in the aldnoah thread, nor did I particularly hate Slaine. In fact I was one of the more positive participants.

My sincere apologies. I was indeed confusing you with someone else. I've edited my post on that point, though I stand by the rest of it. Smile Sorry about that.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:03 pm Reply with quote
TUSF wrote:
Don't think that literally meant the lightsaber couldn't block it, and more that he wasn't fast enough to block it, unless it specifically said that the blade went THROUGH his sword. That looks like it could have easilly been a translation error.

I may be mistaken about this, but wasn't the estoc going through the light saber when Kirito tried to block actually shown in the fight in the anime?

On the harem discussion, I want that put to bed for a while. People are getting too testy about it. And be careful about personal attacks. A few posts in the last couple of pages have gotten very close to being out of line.

Last edited by Key on Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I may be mistaken about this, but wasn't the estoc going through the light saber when Kirito tried to block actually shown in the fight in the anime?

That is what I was theorising after the episode. DG said that in game it was made from spaceship material, and it only seems logical that such material would deflect or in general mostly be unaffected by lasers. Regardless it also made clear that DG was much more used to his weapon, and was full on in agility skill.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:15 am Reply with quote
Deleted some posts for over-quoting.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:19 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Actually, Kirito did take out at least one raid level boss with his mega super awesomeness (gleam eyes I believe it was called?).

He didn't solo Gleam Eyes, he was being supported by Asuna and Klein, and the army folks had worn him down a bit too. He also barely survived that fight.

Quote:
Additionally, the fact that he was basically the most powerful player in the game is impossible as a solo player. In any real MMO, the most powerful player will always be one of the top members of one of the top raid guilds, because they are going to have all of the best equipment and enchantments and whatnot.

Yes, but for reasons that don't apply in this case. For one thing, he went in knowing beta stuff, so he got ahead of the leveling curve that most of the other players were behind. They also didn't make this explicit in the anime, but SAO's systems are very "first come first serve," as in the first player to complete certain quests or achievements becomes the ONLY player to get those benefits, or one of a few before they run out, so playing smart and with foreknowledge can give you a huge boost. There is plenty of "BiS" gear in the game that comes from out of the way quests, like the mats he needed for Dark Repulsor, rather than all being raid-gear. And even so, he participated in at least 75 full raids by the end of the game, having participated in every floor battle with dozens of people, and likely got at least a few good drops from that.

SAO is different than WoW, but there are other games more like it. It wasn't so muhc that he created Kirito that way, as that he designed an MMO with rules that were less raid-focused than WoW.

Quote:

Whether they think it is realistic that Kirito will dump Asuna for any of them simply doesn't matter. Most harems have a primary girl who is the lover or girlfriend or waifu for the main character, and all the other girls are not going to overturn her. They are just there for eye candy and to provide fodder for the fantasies of the author and the otaku viewership.

Never like this though. Most "harem shows" he never hooks up with any of them, except maybe at the very end, so while there might be a "lead" female character that is assumed to be the most obvious choice, they all theoretically have a fair shot. In this one, Asuna has him locked down from day one, the game is over.

Quote:

Well, at first I figured Klein's point was just to be the comic relief, which he most certainly will be. He's already shown himself to be pretty incompetent and goofy.

Klein is goofy, but far from incompetent. He was one of the clearing group members, stronger than any of the girls besides maybe Asuna, probably in the top twenty or less within SAO. Maybe top ten, who knows, they were always vague about the characters outside their circle.

Quote:
He is also the defining element of everything in the show. You yourself have admitted this. It's not an ensemble type show.

Yes, definitely. It is a single character focused show. But that doesn't make it a harem show.

Quote:
But at the end of the day, the fact is that these girls are only here to provide Kirito with their companionship.

No, they're there to provide some more variety in characters for the viewers, which is true of pretty much any character in any show. Kirito doesn't need their companionship, he has Asuna.

Quote:
Don't think that literally meant the lightsaber couldn't block it, and more that he wasn't fast enough to block it, unless it specifically said that the blade went THROUGH his sword. That looks like it could have easilly been a translation error.

Whether the LN intended it or not, this was clearly not the case in the anime, as he definitely did parry blows in the anime. I think it was intended more to mean that the blows were coming in so effectively that Kirito was incapable of deflecting all of them completely, not that he did not have the tools for it. If he literally could not block it then it should have been effortless for Deathgun to pierce his heart.

Quote:

Unless there are translation errors all over the place, the logical conclusion is Kirito's weapon simply could not defend against Xaxa's Estoc.

No. That line meant that he'd believed his sword would slice the Estoc in half, rendering it useless, so he ignored it, but in fact it only heated it, so it continued on to hit him. Presumably it could still create a physical pressure to physically deflect the aim, he just wasn't prepared to use it that way.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Episode 16:

Tbh, that bought back some spoiler[nostologia for me. I guess it's because of the boss fighting and the OST used when Kirito and the others were fighting together not to mention his skills with two swords.]

It looks like we get a spoiler[new character this episode too and hey, is that Klein in love? Surprised]

Oh and I also noticed how fast the girls said spoiler[TRAP in unison]. Gee, I wonder why.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bugnin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Episode 16

Nice improvement from the first ep of this arc. Much better pace, decent action scenes, Klien's goofiness actually helping everyone for once. Everybody contributed.

Sinon actually charging in for an attack was an interesting twist. Would have been cooler if it were the finishing blow, but still cool nontheless.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:37 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[Looks like ALO might end up like SAO.. in ruins.
It's always interesting watching them clear dungeons.
Kirito always pulls some kind of an ace out of his sleeve.
Klein sure has a weak spot for cute NPCs *sigh*
Wonder how much it's gonna backfire on them.
So far it's brought them a nice bonus.
Major fight next time.]
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:42 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering if they were going to include the route split, but I guess not Laughing
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:00 pm Reply with quote
So Klein is so hard up he is willing to risk everything to try his luck with a game artifact?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 76 of 115