• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sword Art Online II (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Kinda surprised no one's gone "Asuna hears 'strong player' and immediately assumes male. That's sexist!!!" yet. Socially developed mental shortcuts aren't easily modified.

Also, I would have made a sarcastic comment about Kirito being such a Gary Stu because he never loses, but I knew it'd be countered with "Now everytime he loses it'll be handwaved as him not fighting seriously."
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation.

My point is that since Japan does not use spoiler[gendered pronouns, while it would technically be inaccurate for them to be saying the word "him," it would be spiritually accurate as that is clearly how Asuna took it from her mental image.]

Quote:
I don't get why people don't understand "they" as a gender neutral term, it does not have to refer to multiple people. Check the dictionary (use google) its first definition is referring to multiple people, while its second is to refer to someone by unspecified sex. If it is such a big deal I have to question the education.

it is technically accurate, but use of the term in this context clearly screams spoiler["we're trying to hide something here!"]
Key

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Using they/them as gender neutral has been around for a long time. I don't see how it could be unheard of in the US.

Never said that, and I would think from my clarifying comments which followed that what I actually meant by "caught on" - i.e., that it's far from universally-accepted - was fairly obvious.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps not universally accepted as being grammatically correct, but so far as being used commonly by the general population it definitely has. This is particularly evident on the internet where no one can be really sure of some one's real gender and thus will just refer to them as "they." Rarely do you see "him/her" being used.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:38 am Reply with quote
It's a tricky thing though. It's generally acceptable when the gender is unknown, but rarely is it used when the gender is known, unless you're being deliberately deceptive. In this case, the gender was known to the characters speaking, and they were not being deliberately deceptive, it was just that due to the nature of Japanese grammar they were not conveying that information.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:20 pm Reply with quote
That episode was all kinds of cute. We're finally getting an insight on Asuna's life outside of the games and it's most welcome. Her family seems to be very traditional and strict. It was heart-warming and sweet to see why she longs for a nice quiet family life with Kirito and Yui so she can relax and be herself....and it's like all of the girls are best friends now and nothing is more fun for them than just being together inside the game. The new ED is very good as well.

I must leave to now to go make a .gif of Leafa shaking Kirito's chair. Anime hyper
"WAKE UP, ONII-CHAAAAAN!!" Laughing
Bright_Spear

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:29 am Reply with quote
I get they were trying to obscure who the new player is to make a big reveal when Asuna finally meets them, but its kinda spoiled in the credits.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Episode 19:

Well, spoiler[Asuna's mother sure is strict, isn't she? It's like she plans 3 steps ahead into the future for her daughter even if Asuna doesn't seem to agree with her moves.]

Speaking of moves, that was quite a spoiler[fight this episode. Felt a bit fast though but that Yuuki girl is definitely someone not to mess with. I wonder what she needs help with though.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:23 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[Asuna's life in reality.
Yeah, it's not happy at all.
Her mom is so cold and calculated.
Doesn't care about Asuna's feelings at all.
It sucks when your life is forced to be what your parents want it to be.
The in-game fight with Yuuki was great!
Looks like another adventure is about to start.]
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:54 pm Reply with quote
So why does Asuna keep her room at 15 degrees C when she is deep-diving? You could get hypothermia at that level.

Although mom is a bit of an authoritarian bitch, I find myself agreeing with her on some points. And that parting shot from Asuna was pretty nasty.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:24 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

Although mom is a bit of an authoritarian bitch,

The mom part was overdone I think. The writing is going hard in trying to make us hate Asuna's family, and essentially isolate her character from her real life, thereby making her more dependent on the virtual world for her happiness. It does bring us back to the critique that Nick Creamer made in his review of last week's episode. I do understand that she grew to enjoy certain aspects of the virtual world (*cough* Kirito), but it might feel more compelling to me if she were actually choosing her virtual life as one of two viable options, rather than being shoved into that along with the audience because her real life is so terrible.

The second half of the show dealing with the battle against Zekken was pretty good. It was exciting and well choreographed.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:00 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
So why does Asuna keep her room at 15 degrees C when she is deep-diving? You could get hypothermia at that level.

15 Degrees C is 59 Degrees Fahrenheit, which is quite warm. Well to me and my British ways it would be.... It's about 4 Degrees C here now. I was wondering why she was breathing steam at that temperature, so I'm guessing they use different measurements? Apologies in advance for being naive in such matters.

I'm going to pass the mom part by, apart from saying Asuna's closing remark was top class. You go girl!

The actual fight between spoiler[Asuna and Yuuki] was very nice and quite memorable. It was nice to see Asuna retain some of her battle prowess from SAO after sitting idle in Alfheim Online.

Once again Kirito isn't using Excaliber? What's the point of a super legendary weapon if you're not going to flaunt it.
Sinon... Where are you? I'm telling you, Kirito's harem still hasn't forgiven her yet for the end of the caliber arc. Laughing

Oh, I really like the OP and ED, and how they've adapted it from the Caliber Arc to Mother's Rosario seamlessly.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Shikiari wrote:

Sinon... Where are you? I'm telling you, Kirito's harem still hasn't forgiven her yet for the end of the caliber arc. Laughing

You know, cracking jokes about the harem after every episode is only going to reinforce the fact of its existence for all of us Smile But please, carry on.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:31 am Reply with quote
Episode 19

It is not like what the mother was saying and doing was unrealistic. It is super common for spoiler[parents to try and give their children what they did not have and wanted]. By the sound of it Asuna's mother spoiler[came from a poor family so the fact she presumably married Asuna's father is why she wants Asuna to marry rich]. We have seen it before, and it will be up to spoiler[Asuna's mother to realise that it is up to Asuna to choose what she wants].

It was good getting some insight into Asuna's character. The actual focus on how she is strong and such should be very interesting.

Feels like the new OP gives away too much. From watching it there seems to be the implication that spoiler[Yuuki had a twin sister], I can only make a crazy analysis at this point that is probably wrong, but maybe spoiler[she died from the SAO incident. So Yuuki is trying to live for her sister by accomplishing feats, maybe even Alfheim].
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:08 am Reply with quote
Quote:

15 Degrees C is 59 Degrees Fahrenheit, which is quite warm.

For outside it's not terrible, but inside I'd never want it below 65F, and anything below 70F is "bundle up" conditions.

Quote:

Once again Kirito isn't using Excaliber? What's the point of a super legendary weapon if you're not going to flaunt it.

Remember, he saves his best sword for his dual-wield trump card (like Dark Repulsor in Aincraid).

Quote:

Remember, she's one circle removed from everyone else, like Klein and Egil. Not only is she not an SAO survivor, but she also doesn't go to their school, so socially she's slightly out of the loop.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 83 of 115