• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sword Art Online II (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bugnin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:56 am Reply with quote
Astoundingly enough, Asuna is not perfect and neither is her mother. It doesn't mean both of them don't have the best of intentions.

I think debate over who is more at fault is completely missing the point. Asuna is a different person than she was before SAO. She isn't the same girl her mother raised and it's undoubtedly frustrating to both of them. The bottom line they can't relate to each other as well as maybe they used to, which makes it impossible to understand each other.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:29 pm Reply with quote
While I mostly agree with Bugnin's comments, wasn't it stated at some point that Asuna tried SAO originally as a way to get away from her family? That indicates that there were problems before Aincard.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:38 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

I don't recall seeing an indication that Asuna is slacking in her RL duties or going down the drain due to her virtual adventures. The only thing we have seen is her being late for dinner, and her mother acts like this is some great offense for which there can be no forgiveness. That is so ridiculous. Again, her daughter just almost died TWICE. On of those times was arguably the mother's own fault. And she's becoming all crazy over her being late for dinner? I just don't buy it, sorry.

It's not just the dinner thing, although I am not sure how much school work can you do sitting online from 2 pm to 6 pm...
Many parents want something good for their children, and many believe a good education is one of the best things they can offer to their children. In a country like Japan where a primary school often determines what university will you go to, no exaggeration here, I'd say I can see why Asuna's mother wants her to go to a good prep school. Knowing that Asuna does not know herself what she wants to be, at least after a good school she would have more options which will be closed to her if she decides not to take those exams.
Asuna's mother does want to also fulfill her own ambitions and seems to have an inferiority complex because of her humble origins, but many parents would be worried if their child clearly preferred to spend time online rather than with people around them and seemed to lack ambitions to do something out of their lives- again lets remember how Japanese society tends to work. She does not want Asuna to miss her chance at a decent life.
Nothing says the mother does not feel guilty over the first match making experience, there is a lot we do not know about what is happening in that household.

Maybe hanging around the new party members who seem to be moving on with their lives after the big adventure will give her something to think about, she will not be able to always hang around an 'adoptive' daughter with a teenage 'husband' in a house inside a game.
Bugnin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
While I mostly agree with Bugnin's comments, wasn't it stated at some point that Asuna tried SAO originally as a way to get away from her family? That indicates that there were problems before Aincard.

IIRC Asuna tried sao on a whim because she wanted an outlet from the pressures of her everyday life. 2 years later she's basically a soldier returning home from a war. she may not have loved her life before, but she had a role and understood it. Now she's a fish out of water trying to find herself, and her mother is wondering what happened to her obedient daughter.

Asuna meanwhile has gone from not knowing if she'll live to see tomorrow to trying to plan for the next 50 years.

It was amusing listening to Asuna essentially give the "tonight we dine in hell" speech.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's not just the dinner thing, although I am not sure how much school work can you do sitting online from 2 pm to 6 pm...

Remember that the night before she had been doing class work inside the game (which apparently has full Internet and productivity suite access in engine). I'm sure if her grades were poor she'd be catching a lot more hell.
Bugnin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:28 pm Reply with quote
asuna isnt exactly the poor student type. Her relationship with her mother is suffering but there's no indication that her grades are.
Bright_Spear

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:46 pm Reply with quote
I don't believe most of the tension between Asuna and her mom comes from being strict with the rules. I think it comes from her mothers total refusal to acknowledge the life she had in game. Instead she wants Asuna to move on so she can get her into the school she wants and married off to a rich guy.

The refusal to take any responsibility on trying to marry her to a psycho and passing the buck onto her father(and most likely blaming him for letting her have a nervegear in the first place) isn't helping anything either.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Why is no one considering the possibility that she really had nothing to do with Sugou?

Also, from what I read Asuna got the Nerve Gear from spoiler[her brother.]

Anyways, it's a simple case of both sides being at fault. Asuna's mom isn't trying to understand her daughter, and Asuna isn't trying very hard to make her mother understand.
Bugnin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Why is no one considering the possibility that she really had nothing to do with Sugou?

Because she's her mother. It's one of those "ignorance is not an excuse" things.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:26 pm Reply with quote
You say that as if they should have known Sugou was a psycho all along. Her husband vouched for him, and considering this is Japan, she's not in a position to object.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Bugnin wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:

Because she's her mother. It's one of those "ignorance is not an excuse" things.

But it's not a matter of ignorance. I explained this in my previous post, given how Asuna's family adheres to traditional Japanese values, it's not a stretch to assume the father made the decisions about Sugou unilaterally, without even asking his wife for her opinion.

I also believe it's not unrealistic that the mother doesn't acknowledge Asuna's in-game life. What present-day parent wouldn't be concerned if their kid wanted to spend every breathing moment arguing about Japanese cartoons in an internet forum instead of tending to their real-life responsibilities? Like someone else said, the mother isn't really privvy on Asuna's online life, as far as she knows, her daughter who should be concerned about getting into a decent university is wasting her life in a mediocre school just to hang out with her online buddies. I'm not saying she's the best mother of the year, but she's nos being completely unreasonable either
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:14 pm Reply with quote
On Sugou, her mother is kind of dodging the issue by saying she had no part in it. Getting angry and saying it was all the father's doing, that he is bad at reading people, reads that she is trying to convince herself more, that technically it is correct, but she always could have done something. It is why she is being so hard now, she wants to say that she is doing something now. That she is choosing someone with a safe personality, and has a safe family business.

It is why she is miffed that her daughter is at a school where the students apparently tried to kill each other. Yet she does not even stop to think of her daughter as the same, and it may come from Asuna not explaining her time. Her mother is thinking of herself as the one to protect Asuna, and why she has to listen to her, but she does not know how Asuna was protected by the many others that helped clear the game. How Lisbeth kept the equipment in shape, two grown men who Asuna really should not bring up but were still useful, and Kirito who not helped her physically but emotionally too. There was suicide inside the game, death touched them all, and the community they still have where they can support each other who went through it is one reason why it is important.

Ooh, I have a new crazy theory about Yuuki now. I think there is the possibility that spoiler[Yuuki is hospitalised and perhaps bedridden. It is why she is living in that world so much and acts so energetic, because she cannot in real life. The due date for getting names up may be when she is facing a life threatening surgery]. Granted that some of this I am taking from another anime I saw.
Bright_Spear

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Because its the attitude of "well that guy was totally not my fault, but you should really get hitched to this other random guy that I probably have as much insight into as the other" which is the problem.

And I wasn't talking about her current in game life,(even thow talking on a forum is no comparison to their level of VR tech) but the two years she spent in SAO. The comparison of her being a returning soldier has already been made but its a good one. Her mom(and it seems most of the country from what was said in the show) doesn't seem to want to think that anything horrible happened. Its just a game so how horrible could it be.

So its not a matter of Asuna's mother not being privy to it, but her actively trying sweep those two years under the rug so she can get the meek and obedient daughter back.
Bugnin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:31 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Bugnin wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:

But it's not a matter of ignorance. I explained this in my previous post, given how Asuna's family adheres to traditional Japanese values, it's not a stretch to assume the father made the decisions about Sugou unilaterally, without even asking his wife for her opinion.

Her mother cannot play that card and still exert any authority at all as a parent. Either she bears responsibility or she doesn't. There's no picking and choosing. If Sugou was 100% her husband's doing then why should asuna listen to her mother at all? Her opinion obviously does not matter, right?

Quote:

I also believe it's not unrealistic that the mother doesn't acknowledge Asuna's in-game life. What present-day parent wouldn't be concerned if their kid wanted to spend every breathing moment arguing about Japanese cartoons in an internet forum instead of tending to their real-life responsibilities? Like someone else said, the mother isn't really privvy on Asuna's online life, as far as she knows, her daughter who should be concerned about getting into a decent university is wasting her life in a mediocre school just to hang out with her online buddies. I'm not saying she's the best mother of the year, but she's nos being completely unreasonable either

except this isnt present day. It's in the future, where virtual online study groups exist.

Asuna by all accounts is still an excellent student. She's also hardly an average teenager. She fought a war for two years and her mother is acting like she was in a coma. She isnt even attempting to understand how that changed her. Asuna isnt trying to bridge that gap either, but she's not supposed to be the mature one.

Getting into a good university is likely still important to Asuna, but i dont think she really has a good idea of what she wants to do with her life anymore. Spending her free time with the only people that understand what she went through is what she wants at the moment and i dont at all find that unreasonable.

Aiding the sleepless knights is a small step outside of Asuna's current comfort zone, but its a step in the right direction. In a way its her first step to moving on from SAO and re-discoving herself.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:54 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Ooh, I have a new crazy theory about Yuuki now. I think there is the possibility that spoiler[Yuuki is hospitalised and perhaps bedridden. It is why she is living in that world so much and acts so energetic, because she cannot in real life. The due date for getting names up may be when she is facing a life threatening surgery]. Granted that some of this I am taking from another anime I saw.

Heh, I know where you're getting that from and what character you're referencing, too. Wink

But I don't think it's a crazy theory at all. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if something along this line ended up being the truth. It certainly seems more likely than my original theory that spoiler[she is some kind of AI].
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 88 of 115