• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sword Art Online II (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
誤称

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Since Kayaba isn't in this arc at all, why are we talking about him? Isn't it terribly off-topic?
Oroboro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:30 pm Reply with quote
He could always show up as a force ghost again at the end or something, you never know. Twisted Evil
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:52 pm Reply with quote
誤称 wrote:
Since Kayaba isn't in this arc at all, why are we talking about him? Isn't it terribly off-topic?

I thought Kirito's "system administrator" powers were still tied to him in some way. It makes me wonder if that is going to extend into this new Gun game as well. For all we know this Death Gun guy is a new incarnation of Kayaba.

And hey, it's SAO. That means when in doubt post. Post early post often.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:53 pm Reply with quote
誤称 wrote:

Why does it matter? This is a discussion thread where people talk about the anime at hand. Bringing up past elements is pretty common. As long as there is no type of flame war going on I don't see the issue.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:31 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
It makes me wonder if that is going to extend into this new Gun game as well.

I doubt it. ALO was based around SAO, which is why Kayaba's account was still valid. All these new games are built around The Seed so I doubt the account would be in those systems.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:30 pm Reply with quote
誤称 wrote:

I'm actually looking at a report implying the same thing. But I haven't seen the 1st series yet, so I have no idea who this "Kayaba" person even is. And I don't wanna' read the thread in case of spoilage, so I'm afraid I can't say whether it's okay or not to talk about said person.

A lot of people like to hypothesize or speculate various plot/character scenarios in ongoing series, so I guess it could be okay to mention the possibility of this person having some kind of relevance in the 2nd season, so long as the actual reveal (if there ever is one) is properly spoil-tagged.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Don't worry about it, Tony. I am following this and can assure that since Kayaba is integral to the backstory of everything in this franchise, he's not off-topic even though he hasn't appeared in this series (yet?). If the thread strays then I will curtail it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:17 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Don't worry about it, Tony. I am following this and can assure that since Kayaba is integral to the backstory of everything in this franchise, he's not off-topic even though he hasn't appeared in this series (yet?). If the thread strays then I will curtail it.

Yea, this is correct. Kayaba is tied into the whole backstory of these MMOs, so it is only natural to talk about him. This is particularly true when even SAO2 continues to show remnants of him. I think we've seen that particular remnant which has already been referred to in at least 2 episodes of SAO2, so it is obvious that the writing is still keeping him in mind.
誤称

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Remnants? There was one momentary "blink and you'll miss it" flashback to the end of the aincrad arc in episode 1. That is all the Kayaba that has appeared or been mentioned in this sequel. He does not come into play at all. There is no ghost in the shell, that's a completely different show and discussing him in regards to GGO is completely off topic.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Remnants? There was one momentary "blink and you'll miss it" flashback to the end of the aincrad arc in episode 1. That is all the Kayaba that has appeared or been mentioned in this sequel. He does not come into play at all. There is no ghost in the shell, that's a completely different show and discussing him in regards to GGO is completely off topic.

No. Kayaba doesn't have any direct involvement in the GGO arc, but he is instrumental to the nature of the entire series, and discussion of the character is always on topic. It's like discussing Xavier in the X-Men even when he's not around. It's a discussion of some of the deeper philosophical underpinnings of the series.
Bright_Spear

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:

He could have accomplished the same sociological experiments without killing anyone, merely by making it so that disconnecting from the game would leave your permanently out of it but completely alive. So far as anyone in the game would know, those people were as dead as he'd promised they would be and the story inside the game would have played out identically. Even then it would still be mass kidnapping and psychological torture.

That really wouldn't work. The threat of death was to keep people in the real world from interfering just as much as it was a motivation to the players in the game. Do you really think any of the people who died in-game would just let their buddies keep thinking they are in a death game?

Even if you say that if you die in game you wouldn't wake up if you still have the helmet on, the people who had their helmets taken off in the beginning would still be alive and proof that Kayaba was bluffing.

The only work around would be to add in the time freeze thing in accel world, so anyone who dies wouldn't have enough time to interfere. Most likely the game would end before anyone would noticed what Kayaba did.

誤称 wrote:

From what I know of whats going to happen in this part of the story is that Kirito's past in the death game will be a big part of his character.

Also, they might have slapped on II to SAO but its still the same story through out. So if people want to discuss what happened in the aincrad arc or fairydance arc, then let them. Theirs no real point in stopping it.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:20 pm Reply with quote
誤称 wrote:

Why are you trying to discourage people from discussion? It doesn't really matter if it's from the first season or not. As long as it's about the anime at hand and people are expressing their opinions about a subject pertaining to it while being respectful it would be dumb for someone to come in and say "NO! DON'T TALK ABOUT STUFF THAT HAPPENED BEFORE THIS!". I'm not sure if you know what "completely off topic" means.
誤称

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Gosh, you're showing me how to be respectful so well, Leatherhead. Sasuga respect there, bro.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:34 pm Reply with quote
誤称 wrote:

I'm pretty sure the castle in the sky has been shown in at least 2 episodes.
GrayArchon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:53 am Reply with quote
Since I don't think it's been noted, it should be mentioned that Crunchyroll made the old oji-san ojii-san error. That's Sinon's grandfather she's talking to on the phone at the end of episode 3, not her uncle.

As for some of the other things people have mentioned, there were a few things about Sinon's back story that were either moved, omitted, or otherwise might not have been clear from the novel to anime transition. I'd recommend asking again at the end of the arc if you still have questions as some of it might be more clear later.

On another note, this time around, Tap is translating Reki Kawahara's live twitter commentary of the episodes. Those so interested can find the first few episodes' commentary here:

Episode 1: http://pastebin.com/SHfeM0x4
Episode 2: http://pastebin.com/xQEVbfpD
Episode 3: http://pastebin.com/Jecmiyf6
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 115