• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sword Art Online II (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:19 pm Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Does he spoiler[ride a bike] irl? I can't remember, so I couldn't tell if his brush-off of her amazement was true (I played similar games) or not admitting he was a guy (since girls never spoiler[ride motorcycles] irl) or if he was just concealing his Mary Stu/Gary Sue powers.

Yes in the SAO extra it showed him giving Sugu a ride to school on his bike. Starting at 40 secs.

So option two then. :/
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
(BTW, we don't need to spoiler-tag the fact that Kirito is in a female avatar, since that's been well-advertised by the OP and promotional materials.)
Just to clarify things in case this might turn up confusion about the nature of Kirito's avatar: He is not in a female avatar, the avatar itself is a trap. This distinction is made clear with the guy that wanted to buy it. An M-9000 is a rare avatar that guys get that makes them appear feminine as opposed to an M-1300 which girls get that make them appear androgynous (which he presumed first because he thought Kirito was already a girl). Also apparently the gender choice restriction harkens back to post-launch SAO in which ones avatar had to match the players assigned sex. Therefore its reasonable to say its not possible for him to have a female avatar, per the in-game restrictions.

Last edited by P€|\||§_|\/|ast@ on Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bright_Spear

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Does he spoiler[ride a bike] irl? I can't remember, so I couldn't tell if his brush-off of her amazement was true (I played similar games) or not admitting he was a guy (since girls never spoiler[ride motorcycles] irl) or if he was just concealing his Mary Stu/Gary Sue powers.

Yes in the SAO extra it showed him giving Sugu a ride to school on his bike. Starting at 40 secs.

So option two then. :/

He also rode his bike when he went to the hospital or wherever he's playing at last ep.

I was wondering if the type of game avatars will be important later on. Seeing that guy freaked out when he figured out kirito's was a rare game avatar. And what type of abilities do the different ones have.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:03 am Reply with quote
Bright_Spear wrote:
I was wondering if the type of game avatars will be important later on. Seeing that guy freaked out when he figured out kirito's was a rare game avatar. And what type of abilities do the different ones have.
I wanna point out I haven't read ahead in the LNs but I highly doubt avatars ascribe specialized abilities. The differences between avatars, even rare ones compared to regular ones are most likely purely cosmetic and nothing else.

This episode is the one I've been waiting for ever since they announced SAOII and I loved it but I was disappointed about one thing. I think they overdid it a little in how Kirito is so conveniently good at certain things. I know there will still be a struggle for him in other areas like he has no experience with guns. But its played up too much how no one uses swords in GGO so Kirito is going to show everyone how it can be an amazing weapon.

I still think ep 3 shined the most so far.
Bright_Spear

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:10 am Reply with quote
Past wrote:
Bright_Spear wrote:
I wanna point out I haven't read ahead in the LNs but I highly doubt avatars ascribe specialized abilities. The differences between avatars, even rare ones compared to regular ones are most likely purely cosmetic and nothing else.

Really? The game doesn't seem like the type to get a lot of hat collectors. But that's just me. I was thinking it was a scaled down version of the race system in alfheim online except for the faction bit.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:21 am Reply with quote
Bright_Spear wrote:
Past wrote:
Bright_Spear wrote:

Really? The game doesn't seem like the type to get a lot of hat collectors. But that's just me. I was thinking it was a scaled down version of the race system in alfheim online except for the faction bit.
I'm not aware of any distinct races in GGO yet, I don't know anything about FPS games (which happen to also be an RPG) but it seems like distinct races aren't necessary. So I'd guess any unique abilities depend solely on classes and perhaps in-game achievements or awards.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:00 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
or not admitting he was a guy (since girls never spoiler[ride motorcycles] irl)

Makes me think of Blood Leopard, it is the same author after all.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:41 am Reply with quote
Quote:
That really wouldn't work. The threat of death was to keep people in the real world from interfering just as much as it was a motivation to the players in the game.

Well, I suppose that's true enough. Still, if he were being truly minimalist about it, he could have the rule that "if YOU disconnect them, I'll kill them, but if they die as a natural consequence in-game, then they get disconnected safely." That still would have been a sociopathic act of mass murder, but it would be only a few hundred deaths, the ones from that first day mostly, while the few thousand after would have been fine.

Quote:
Do you really think any of the people who died in-game would just let their buddies keep thinking they are in a death game?

And assuming the scenario above, there would be no way anyone on the outside, including "freed" players, could have communicated anything back to the active players. It's kind of a silly system anyways, since all they had to do was use an EMP device to render the helmets inert. If he'd really wanted it to work he would have used a small explosive with a deadman's trigger, but I suppose that could be more difficult to manufacture without raising red flags.

Quote:
Well at least they explained

Well they did explain it in ALO too, spoiler[it was because his SAO account was converted over, and in a super glitchy manner so most of it was junk but he ended up with a ton of gold. Come to think of it they might not have been clear on that in the anime, but it was explained in the books.]

Quote:

Also, are light saber sound effects under copyright or anything? Just wondering if they'd get in trouble for using them so blatantly.

I know, that was hilarious!

Quote:
The chances of him meeting Sinon . . .

It's not really, it's just a matter of perspective. The odds of one featured character randomly bumping into another featured character under those circumstances is fairly low. The chances of one random person bumping into another random person are pretty much 1:1 though. It's only because we happen to be following both of them that it seems overly coincidental. This is an error of logic that leads to all manner of conspiracy theories and bad science, for example "how did the process of evolution eventually turn microbes into humans?"

Quote:
I know I've had the same problem while playing Destiny the past few days.

Really? I hadn't really noticed anyone paying attention.

Quote:
IS the tournament called "Bullet of Bullets" or "Ballet of Bullets"? The sub I watched used "Bullet of Bullets" but I thought it was the other when I read the tvtropes page for SAO.

I've also heard "Ballot of Bullets," as in an election judged by bullets. Wink Not sure the canon.

Quote:
Does he spoiler[ride a bike] irl?

I think they showed it a couple episodes ago, but yes, he owns a moped.

Quote:
An M-9000 is a rare avatar that guys get that makes them appear feminine as opposed to an M-1300

F-1300, the leading letter is for gender.

Quote:

I don't think they have stat differences, I think it's purely cosmetic, but you don't get to choose what you end up with, so some guy who really wants to look like a trap, his only option would be to buy out the account of someone who randomly got an M-9000 avatar.

Coincidentally, it's similar in Destiny, there are three races and two genders so far, but apparently zero gameplay difference between them. You can't even tell what race someone is outside of the city.

Quote:
But its played up too much how no one uses swords in GGO so Kirito is going to show everyone how it can be an amazing weapon.

To be fair, anyone who isn't Kirito would just straight-up die.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:17 am Reply with quote
Past wrote:
I think they overdid it a little in how Kirito is so conveniently good at certain things. I know there will still be a struggle for him in other areas like he has no experience with guns. But its played up too much how no one uses swords in GGO so Kirito is going to show everyone how it can be an amazing weapon.

I think this is kind of funny, since we already had people preemptively complaining that someone was going to call Kirito a gary stu again. I think it has been pretty obvious for a long time now (since season 1) that Kirito is a gary stu, but at this point we've just essentially accepted it and allow for it in order to enjoy the rest of the content. No one can seriously dispute that he is always going to excel at pretty much everything thrown his way, often through some kind of natural talent, and all the girls that come on the scene are going to have the hots for him. But like I said, at this point I've already accepted that that is part of his character, so it's more or less an inherent flaw of the writing that I'm not going to talk about every time anymore.

Also, I agree that this episode was pretty good. Despite the possibility of the growing harem, I did enjoy the interaction between Sinon and Kirito. Kirito pretending to be a girl also seemed to add something to his personality that made him more interesting than in SAO 1, where he was mostly a blank slate.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:52 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
Well they did explain it in ALO too, spoiler[it was because his SAO account was converted over, and in a super glitchy manner so most of it was junk but he ended up with a ton of gold. Come to think of it they might not have been clear on that in the anime, but it was explained in the books.]

From what I'm told that wasn't explained in the books either. He just had a huge bag of cash with enough to fund an army for some reason. It's not stuff he brought over from SAO, since him and Asuna used pretty much all of their money on that house.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:56 am Reply with quote
Past wrote:
Just to clarify things in case this might turn up confusion about the nature of Kirito's avatar: He is not in a female avatar, the avatar itself is a trap. This distinction is made clear with the guy that wanted to buy it. An M-9000 is a rare avatar that guys get that makes them appear feminine as opposed to an M-1300 which girls get that make them appear androgynous (which he presumed first because he thought Kirito was already a girl). Also apparently the gender choice restriction harkens back to post-launch SAO in which ones avatar had to match the players assigned sex. Therefore its reasonable to say its not possible for him to have a female avatar, per the in-game restrictions.

That makes a bit more sense, and in a way it's even more amusing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Oroboro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

From what I'm told that wasn't explained in the books either. He just had a huge bag of cash with enough to fund an army for some reason. It's not stuff he brought over from SAO, since him and Asuna used pretty much all of their money on that house.

Nah, it was definitely his cash from SAO. They had different inflation rates, but the number stayed the same, so a small amount of cash in SAO was worth a lot more in ALO

The gear didn't transfer to it because the code pointed to items that didn't exist, but the money was stored as a simple numerical value.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Kirito should buy two photon swords. screw that gun, dual-wield swords all the way.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Asian Mace Windu on the case.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:04 am Reply with quote
Kirito: (fidgets in his head)
Me: .........uh
Kirito: (continues to to fidget)
Me: Don't do it man.....
Kirito: (has such a conflicted face that it looks like he's constipated)
Me: DON'T DO IT!
Kirito: (Lifts hand to face making a girly pose)
"Yes this is my first time playing"
Me: (headesk x10)

It might have been good for the moment but Kirito is going to have some awkward tension with Shino later (can't wait to see that happen actually xP).

Oddly enough that cowboy NPC spoke really good english. But as soon as we are informed spoiler[that winning against him was next to impossible] I'm sure everyone knew some Kirito ownage was going to take place lol.

The pace of the show seems really slow compared to last season. It's not really bothering me that much though.

Also I'm pretty sure energy based swords existed before Star Wars so as long as they aren't calling them light sabers and they don't have the same features I don't think copyright would have any ground here. Not sure about the SFX but eh.......who knows? Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 115