• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sword Art Online II (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bugnin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:42 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:

We're essentially providing our own name to describe the symptoms we're seeing, but I do think that it was Kawahara's goal to provide two characters with symptoms that we would recognize as semi-PTSD (even if he doesn't notice that himself), and to have their shared experience with those similar symptoms provide them with a bonding and healing experience.

Oh, this wasn't on accident. As I said when I started this line of dialogue, at the heart of this arc is PTSD. I wish the parts in the LN that made this more clear didn't get cut out, but alas I think they were hoping we'd just connect the dots. I thought it was pretty clear.

LNspoiler[In the LN, Sinon recalls being specifically diagnosed with PTSD during the robbery incident, and does see therapists, but when that doesn't work she tries to self-medicate through GGO]
jl07045

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:49 am Reply with quote
Bugnin wrote:
Not all forms of PTSD have "other symptoms.".

http://www.ptsd.va.gov/professional/PTSD-overview/dsm5_criteria_ptsd.asp
Bugnin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:55 am Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
Bugnin wrote:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/post-traumatic-stress-disorder/basics/symptoms/con-20022540

Quote:
Post-traumatic stress disorder symptoms may start within three months of a traumatic event, but sometimes symptoms may not appear until years after the event.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Shinon's attempt to cure hers is simplistic in the extreme. Gee, I'll solve my trauma by experiencing a virtual representation of what gave me the trauma in the first place.

That's not nearly as silly as your tone suggests you think it is. It's actually a pretty standard treatment: you expose the patient to their fear in a safe and controlled environment so they'll eventually get used to it.

jl07045 wrote:
Bugnin wrote:

Those aren't 'other symptoms,' those are the symptoms. If patients meet that criteria, then they have the disorder. Let's break it down, shall we?

Quote:
Criterion A: stressor

The person was exposed to: death, threatened death, actual or threatened serious injury, or actual or threatened sexual violence, as follows: (one required)
1.Direct exposure.
2.Witnessing, in person.
3.Indirectly, by learning that a close relative or close friend was exposed to trauma. If the event involved actual or threatened death, it must have been violent or accidental.
4.Repeated or extreme indirect exposure to aversive details of the event(s), usually in the course of professional duties (e.g., first responders, collecting body parts; professionals repeatedly exposed to details of child abuse). This does not include indirect non-professional exposure through electronic media, television, movies, or pictures.

Shino and Kirito both would be direct exposure, since they actively killed people.

Quote:
Criterion B: intrusion symptoms

The traumatic event is persistently re-experienced in the following way(s): (one required)
1.Recurrent, involuntary, and intrusive memories. Note: Children older than six may express this symptom in repetitive play.
2.Traumatic nightmares. Note: Children may have frightening dreams without content related to the trauma(s).
3.Dissociative reactions (e.g., flashbacks) which may occur on a continuum from brief episodes to complete loss of consciousness. Note: Children may reenact the event in play.
4.Intense or prolonged distress after exposure to traumatic reminders.
5.Marked physiologic reactivity after exposure to trauma-related stimuli.

Both of them definitely fit #5. Shino can't handle anything gun shaped and Kirito is visably shaken whenever Death Gun is around.

Quote:
Criterion C: avoidance

Persistent effortful avoidance of distressing trauma-related stimuli after the event: (one required)
1.Trauma-related thoughts or feelings.
2.Trauma-related external reminders (e.g., people, places, conversations, activities, objects, or situations).

This one might be a bit iffy (it's where professional experience and opinion comes into play). Shino probably did avoid guns entirely at first, but currently she does try to expose herself. You might also say Kirito's forgetting was his way of avoiding it.

Quote:
Criterion D: negative alterations in cognitions and mood

Negative alterations in cognitions and mood that began or worsened after the traumatic event: (two required)
1.Inability to recall key features of the traumatic event (usually dissociative amnesia; not due to head injury, alcohol, or drugs).
2.Persistent (and often distorted) negative beliefs and expectations about oneself or the world (e.g., "I am bad," "The world is completely dangerous").
3.Persistent distorted blame of self or others for causing the traumatic event or for resulting consequences.
4.Persistent negative trauma-related emotions (e.g., fear, horror, anger, guilt, or shame).
5.Markedly diminished interest in (pre-traumatic) significant activities.
6.Feeling alienated from others (e.g., detachment or estrangement).
7.Constricted affect: persistent inability to experience positive emotions.

1-3 for Kirito. 2, 4, 6, and possibly 7 for Shino.

Quote:
Criterion E: alterations in arousal and reactivity

Trauma-related alterations in arousal and reactivity that began or worsened after the traumatic event: (two required)
1.Irritable or aggressive behavior
2.Self-destructive or reckless behavior
3.Hypervigilance
4.Exaggerated startle response
5.Problems in concentration
6.Sleep disturbance

Hm, I'm drawing a blank on this one right now. I think maybe some apply but my mind's not in the state to recall specific examples Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

Quote:
Criterion F: duration

Persistence of symptoms (in Criteria B, C, D, and E) for more than one month.

Shino's been dealing with it for years, though Kirito only just remembered his trauma, so we'd have to see for how long it persists.

Quote:
Criterion G: functional significance

Significant symptom-related distress or functional impairment (e.g., social, occupational).

Shino definitely, Kirito not so much.

Quote:
Criterion H: exclusion

Disturbance is not due to medication, substance use, or other illness.

So far as we know they're both clean and in good health.

Quote:
Specify if: With dissociative symptoms.

In addition to meeting criteria for diagnosis, an individual experiences high levels of either of the following in reaction to trauma-related stimuli:
1.Depersonalization: experience of being an outside observer of or detached from oneself (e.g., feeling as if "this is not happening to me" or one were in a dream).
2.Derealization: experience of unreality, distance, or distortion (e.g., "things are not real").

Don't think this applies. In Kirito's case it felt far too real for him despite the circumstances.

Quote:
Specify if: With delayed expression.

Full diagnosis is not met until at least six months after the trauma(s), although onset of symptoms may occur immediately.

This would apply to Kirito.

Barring clarification on Criterion E, we can say that Shino has PTSD, while Kirito comes pretty close to having PTSD with delayed expression.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Shinon's attempt to cure hers is simplistic in the extreme. Gee, I'll solve my trauma by experiencing a virtual representation of what gave me the trauma in the first place.

That's not nearly as silly as your tone suggests you think it is. It's actually a pretty standard treatment: you expose the patient to their fear in a safe and controlled environment so they'll eventually get used to it.

Oh, you're an expert in the treatment of PTSD, are you? I've heard of using simple behavioural modification therapy to deal with certain kinds of phobias: i.e. you gradually expose an arachnophobe to a picture of spider, then you bring in a live spider and let him/her look at it and eventually you work up to the point where the person actually holds a spider, etc. I've never heard of this technique being used to deal with PTSD. In fact, we had a real life example not too long ago that pretty emphatically showed this isn't the greatest idea. Remember that American Sniper dude who tried to help other combat veterans who suffered from PTSD by taking them to a firing range and shooting weapons? One of those guys turned the weapon on him and a friend who was there. So yeah, Shinon's approach is very simplistic but she's a teenager so I'm not exactly expecting massive amounts of sophistication from her in dealing with her problem.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
So yeah, Shinon's approach is very simplistic but she's a teenager so I'm not exactly expecting massive amounts of sophistication from her in dealing with her problem.

Not to put too fine a point on it but the story is consistent. There is no reason to assume that Shinon is an expert in treating her own malady, or even for that matter even knows what it is.

I can't speak for much about a clinically recognized condition such as PTSD, but I do have some practical experience (due to my hobby) about dealing with fear. And the exposure she is giving herself is not a bad first step in dealing with Shinon's fear.

As for Kirito, the discussion seems to assume that he has PTSD and that is his problem and nothing else. I see it as more likely that he is suffering from both guilt and fear and not PTSD at all. At least as much as PTSD has been described in lay media.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Remember that American Sniper dude who tried to help other combat veterans who suffered from PTSD by taking them to a firing range and shooting weapons? One of those guys turned the weapon on him and a friend who was there.

That's not exactly what I'd call a 'safe and controlled environment.'
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:36 pm Reply with quote
That's hardly the point. The point is that I don't believe simple behavior modification therapy is used in the treatment of PTSD and that's basically what Shinon is attempting to do for herself by participating in GGO.

I doubt you'd find a reputable therapist say to a combat veteran suffering PTSD, "Hey go play tons of Call of Duty! That'll really help you."

HaruhiToy wrote:
I can't speak for much about a clinically recognized condition such as PTSD, but I do have some practical experience (due to my hobby) about dealing with fear. And the exposure she is giving herself is not a bad first step in dealing with Shinon's fear.

To me, you are making the same mistake Vaisaga is making. You seem to be equating a complex disorder like PTSD with a (relatively) more simple phobia. Of course fear is a component of PTSD but there is a world of difference between somebody who has been so traumatized by an event that they suffer a range of debilitating behaviours and somebody who is deathly afraid of enclosed spaces, for example.

A non-simplistic approach on Shinon's part would have been to approach a teacher, guidance counselor or some other adult figure, explain her problem and ask advice on how to deal with her issue. Going, "hmm, I had this horrible event that causes me to become paralyzed if anyone so much as makes a finger gun at me, so I'll cure it myself by playing a gun-based video game" is a very simplistic approach to a thorny problem.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:01 pm Reply with quote
There's no single sure fire method of dealing with it (if there was it wouldn't be such a problem). Perhaps Shino's approach is simplistic, but the basic idea isn't a bad one.

Of course one of the big issue with dealing with these disorders is that a lot of people simply don't seek treatment for them. They either don't realize they have a problem, don't want to admit they have a problem, assume it'll pass on its own, think that they can handle it, can't afford treatment or feel that seeking help is shameful and a sign of weakness. I doubt Shino would be able to do what you suggest, especially when it means admitting she's killed some one.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:56 pm Reply with quote
The question of whether Shinon could or could not follow an non-simplistic approach is irrelevant to the point at hand. Some people are claiming that the show is handling the issue of PTSD in a "mature" manner and I think that notion is patently ridiculous. The idea that a fun, escapist show would take a "mature" approach to PTSD is just silly. Again, that is no knock against SAO II. That simply shows the writers know what kind of show they are doing and they are not going to weigh it down with the sort of treatment PTSD would get in a literary novel or serious film, for example.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:24 pm Reply with quote
To say it's not being treated 'maturely' means it's being treated 'immaturely,' which to me would mean making it a joke and undermining the seriousness of the issue. But it is being treated quite seriously. Perhaps it's not entirely accurate or realistic, but I think we can give it mature.
Bugnin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:09 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
The question of whether Shinon could or could not follow an non-simplistic approach is irrelevant to the point at hand. Some people are claiming that the show is handling the issue of PTSD in a "mature" manner and I think that notion is patently ridiculous. The idea that a fun, escapist show would take a "mature" approach to PTSD is just silly. Again, that is no knock against SAO II. That simply shows the writers know what kind of show they are doing and they are not going to weigh it down with the sort of treatment PTSD would get in a literary novel or serious film, for example.
it just seems like you're fighting against the term "mature" being associated with this series, instead of looking at it with some common sense.
jl07045

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:45 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
jl07045 wrote:
Bugnin wrote:

Those aren't 'other symptoms,' those are the symptoms. If patients meet that criteria, then they have the disorder. Let's break it down, shall we?

No, let's not. You're not a psychiatrist. You're a random dude on the internet that uses info you just found in a webpage to prove a point, because you have nothing better to do. We may act like professors for e-peen, but this is crossing the line imo. The only reason I posted that link is to show that diagnosing PTSD necessarily involves having a bunch of symptoms as a refutation of the above quote.

I might have shown some frustrations about how SAO is handling things in the heat of the debate, but to be honest I don't have enough problem with it to stop watching. The one significant quarrel I have here is about the idea that PTSD is maturely handled. For me mature means that the author is interested in an accurate and realistic portrayal whether they mean to educate people or simply make the character more tragic or relatable (unless it comes across as very manipulative). If the author is not, but refers to the issue directly, then he/she is undermining it even if a little. If there is no reference, then it is okay as far as I'm concerned, but saying that they're handling it maturely doesn't make sense. They might be handling the story or characters maturely, but not PTSD, just some PTSD-like effects.

Personally I think this has run its course if it didn't two pages ago so I'm signing off. Have to build up energy for the shitstorm that's going to be F/SN thread.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:23 am Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
No, let's not. You're not a psychiatrist. You're a random dude on the internet that uses info you just found in a webpage to prove a point, because you have nothing better to do.

I think that psychology degree on my wall elevates me above "random dude" level at the very least.

It's not like we're dealing with real people who could potentially be damaged from amateur diagnoses anyways.
Bugnin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:59 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
jl07045 wrote:
No, let's not. You're not a psychiatrist. You're a random dude on the internet that uses info you just found in a webpage to prove a point, because you have nothing better to do.

I think that psychology degree on my wall elevates me above "random dude" level at the very least.

The mic has been officially dropped.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 35 of 115