• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sword Art Online II (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Ok, the bullet spoiler[wrecked her sights (that part made me lol), but did it destroy her gun too? If so, how? And does she still have a handgun (doesn't Kirito also have one)? Anyway, I'm betting she goes after Dark Wind's gun and comes to his rescue. At least I'm hoping she does something besides watch in horror from her hidey hole.]

Yeah, spoiler[it just wrecked her sight, the rifle is fine.] Surely this will lead to a badass moment where spoiler[she snipes from a long distance using only her naked eye.]

I'm amused that this episode and the next have the exact same title.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:37 pm Reply with quote
ohh, those players turn a gun tournament into sword fight. On the next time, they should ban sword.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:27 pm Reply with quote
^You know, if I were among the gun enthusiasts watching this battle without knowing the stakes or the history, I think I'd be pretty pissed off about that. I've also been wondering what people have been thinking about the obvious teamwork of Kirito and Sinon and wondering why no one has cried foul about that yet. From an outsider's pov, it looks like they just banded together to defeat everyone else and will then flip a coin to decide which one of them wins, making a mockery of the whole tournament.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Sometimes I get frustrated too easily and when that happens I post in an irritated mode that is out of whack with what annoyed me in the first place.

Wow -- you wrote that almost as if the rest of us weren't used to it by now. Don't worry bro we love you for it.
Quote:
Anyway, not bad eppie. Agree the first chunk dragged on a bit.

I'm glad several people wrote this sentiment before I did. I thought I was just watching the show in a bad mood. I almost fast forwarded through part of it yelling "gawdammit stop talking and get on with it!"
Quote:

I have a question for those familiar with the source material - what happened to the 10 Laughing Coffin survivors? Were they ever charged with anything? It presents kind of an interesting legal question: since nobody in the game really knew for sure that dying in-game = dying IRL, I'm guessing they could not be charged with murder.

Really? In the contemporary real world we have made a lot of progress with regard to making it a crime for cyber-bullying and stalking. It is an online activity that has real-life consequences. So even under our laws today the red players could be charged with something, I'm sure.

Of course the SAO world could have regressed in that regard but I don't see any evidence of that.
Quote:
Also, what does it matter if Kirito cannot remember Sterben's real name? Presumably, the authorities know who the ten survivors are, so wouldn't it be a simple matter of checking that list against Sterben's real name?

It beggars the imagination that the authorities would be virile enough to assign special investigators and departments to cleaning up SAO yet not have access to a full list of players both deceased, living, innocent or criminal. This is less plausible than the fiction-science behind the total immersion headgear.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:44 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
It beggars the imagination that the authorities would be virile enough to assign special investigators and departments to cleaning up SAO yet not have access to a full list of players both deceased, living, innocent or criminal. This is less plausible than the fiction-science behind the total immersion headgear.

The Japanese government is trying to find who Death Gun is. GGO is run by an American company. Laws are different between the two countries, and American countries hate giving up info about their customers to law enforcement.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:24 pm Reply with quote
They don't need to get access to GGO. The names of the laughing coffin members would be in SAO data, which I assume was thoroughly studied. I thought it was too many for the government to go out checking on each one, but if it's only ten, I don't see why that would be a problem.
Bugnin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
They don't need to get access to GGO. The names of the laughing coffin members would be in SAO data, which I assume was thoroughly studied. I thought it was too many for the government to go out checking on each one, but if it's only ten, I don't see why that would be a problem.

The names of all the players were logged, but there was no record to tell who was in what guild, and laughing coffin wasn't an official SAO guild anyway.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:06 am Reply with quote
Episod e12

Way to go Kirito, explain to the criminal you are trying to catch undercover in a game that you are working with the government to catch him.

What is the chances of this happening?:
Death Gun (spoiler[Sterben]): "You don't even know my old player name."
Kirito: "Is it the same name you are using now?"
Death Gun: "Shit!"

Actually his name being spoiler[the word for death also being used to mean when someone dies in a hospital, it is very fitting for him as the people they killed in SAO died in a hospital].
Key

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:10 am Reply with quote
Presumably that is exactly why he chose it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:29 am Reply with quote
Quote:

I have a question for those familiar with the source material - what happened to the 10 Laughing Coffin survivors? Were they ever charged with anything? It presents kind of an interesting legal question: since nobody in the game really knew for sure that dying in-game = dying IRL, I'm guessing they could not be charged with murder.

As far as I can recall, nobody from SAO was charged with anything. It definitely would be sticky and they probably wanted to move on. Keep in mind that not only is there the whole "I didn't realize they actually died" defense, but there's also pretty much zero actual evidence, since they didn't have like full action logs, so it'd all be word of mouth, "I saw so an so kill someone." Very hard to prove those cases even if they'd happened in the real world.

Quote:

Also, what does it matter if Kirito cannot remember Sterben's real name? Presumably, the authorities know who the ten survivors are, so wouldn't it be a simple matter of checking that list against Sterben's real name?

Remember, they can't get access to Sterben's player name, since only GGO knows, and the GGO devs aren't talking. I'm fairly sure the Japanese government could force the issue somehow, but GGO is portrayed as a sort of quasi-legal pirate game, so maybe even that would be difficult, like trying to serve a warrant on a torrent site.

Still, what they could likely do, depending on how loose the Japanese legal system is about needing a warrant, is they could just track the movements and logs of all ten Coffin survivors, and maybe figure out which of them are linking in to the GGO IPs during the times Deathgun is on or something like that.

Quote:
I've also been wondering what people have been thinking about the obvious teamwork of Kirito and Sinon and wondering why no one has cried foul about that yet. From an outsider's pov, it looks like they just banded together to defeat everyone else and will then flip a coin to decide which one of them wins, making a mockery of the whole tournament.

So far as I know, there's nothing in the rules to prevent cooperation.

Quote:

Really? In the contemporary real world we have made a lot of progress with regard to making it a crime for cyber-bullying and stalking. It is an online activity that has real-life consequences. So even under our laws today the red players could be charged with something, I'm sure.

Maybe, but even with cyber-bullying they need chatlogs and stuff. All the log data for SAO was wiped.
Bugnin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:41 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:

Maybe, but even with cyber-bullying they need chatlogs and stuff. All the log data for SAO was wiped.

That's the important part people are missing. There are no records of who was in what guild or murdered who.

And even if there were, LC wasn't even a registered guild within the game. It was a band of outlaws.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:46 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:

I know that, but I was talking about people's attitudes toward them as players. Not that that matters to Kirito, but it would have to Sinon before things turned to crap for her.

Lots of things are possible and not against the rules of many games (PKing for instance), but they violate the spirit of the game and people stop wanting to play with you if you do them. Bullet of Bullets is supposed to be a one-on-one tournament to determine the best, so teaming up, while not a violation of the rules, seems like something that would be frowned on in the community.

The story isn't about that though, so it was just something I was thinking about.
Bugnin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:58 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Ohoni wrote:

I know that, but I was talking about people's attitudes toward them as players. Not that that matters to Kirito, but it would have to Sinon before things turned to crap for her.

Lots of things are possible and not against the rules of many games (PKing for instance), but they violate the spirit of the game and people stop wanting to play with you if you do them. Bullet of Bullets is supposed to be a one-on-one tournament to determine the best, so teaming up, while not a violation of the rules, seems like something that would be frowned on in the community.

The story isn't about that though, so it was just something I was thinking about.

Given that Sinon is basically a lone wolf that only works with others on mercenary jobs, I dont think it really matter to her how socially accepted she is. Besides, this is her actual life on the line. Nobody would have a second thought about unwritten rules.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:05 am Reply with quote
Thanks to those who answered my questions about the Laughing Coffin survivors. Now it makes sense to me why it's important that Kirito doesn't personally know Sterben's real name. I also didn't know/had forgotten that all the SAO data had been wiped.
Bugnin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:12 am Reply with quote
The only recorded data on SAO survivors was their real names matched with their user names.

And since it was really not made clear in this episode, Stereben was NOT Death Gun's SAO name. The scene at the hospital sort of misleads you into thinking Asuna recognizes Streben's name from SAO when she was simply curious about the meaning. She's still trying to piece it together.

As Key already noted, the name "Stereben" is a direct reference to the original SAO, so the odds of it being an original SAO avatar name are slim to none.

I don't consider this a spoiler as much as clearing up an unintentional misunderstanding.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 54 of 115