• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sword Art Online II (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:34 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Way to go Kirito, explain to the criminal you are trying to catch undercover in a game that you are working with the government to catch him.

Which, of course assuming Kirito is right, would totally disrupt Death Gun's MO. Kirito wasn't talking to Death Gun he was talking to the live feed camera. Presumably someone on the outside can now move to protect Sinon on the outside.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:41 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:
Way to go Kirito, explain to the criminal you are trying to catch undercover in a game that you are working with the government to catch him.

Which, of course assuming Kirito is right, would totally disrupt Death Gun's MO. Kirito wasn't talking to Death Gun he was talking to the live feed camera. Presumably someone on the outside can now move to protect Sinon on the outside.

Does it use sound though? Earlier they said the one that was just watching them did not have sound.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:12 am Reply with quote
No, it records sound, but not very well. Sinon said that as long as they were talking quietly, it wouldn't pick them up.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12:

1) duel between the sniper girl and bad guy was ridiculous: there was no way he had time to re-aim his rifle at her unless she was unprofessional and pathetic, which contradicts to way how she was presented as top player;

2) the fact that Kirito is supposedly the best sword player and still loses to the bad guy is also not quire believable. Also, characters have different specifications, and those who are top long-range players are vastly different from those who are top combat players in terms or agility/dexterity. Thus the buy guy switching from being super sniper to super swordsman is not believable;

3) the idea that the bad gang members group is unreachable to authorities is highly questionable. Obviously, authors would claim that all the logs and player data and identities are all of sudden gone and inaccessible, but such scenario is not believable. They are "survivors" just as Kirito's lover and sister, whose logs, identities, data are perfectly fine. Authors obviously made it this way so they would have a story to tell, but they did not do it in way that would show more respect towards viewers;

4) whole idea that bad guy has accomplices in real world that go to players' homes to murder them is laughable. Everything is video-recorded everywhere, there is just no way potential accomplices would agree to participate in such murders unless they want to get caught and be in jail. Besides, if previous two murders were done this way, it would be known by now due to video recording even if the personality of murderers would not be identified yet;

5) the bad guy would be detained long time ago. He is Japanese, his point entry to the internet is in Japan. Interpol works just fine, and international game administrators fully cooperate with local authorities even without Interpol. So there would be no issues identifying the guy and arresting him.
Bugnin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm thinking MaxSouth just makes stuff up as he goes along...

1) Stereben is also a master sniper. He also uses a much lighter rifle, allowing him to re-aim it faster. In the end, Sinon still "won" by virtue of shattering his gun while only losing her scope.

Sinon was "pathetic and unproffessional?" Uh....okay?

2) You're complaining that Kirito ISN'T overpowered in this fight? lol. Also, his energy sword is inferior to Stereben's metal sword. Metal weapons are stronger than energy weapons in GGO.

Kirito is NOT a video gaming god. Most of his strength stems from his advantage he had at the beginning of SAO from being the top beta tester, and all of those stats carrying over to ALO. Kirito has top notch reflexes, but you forget in real life he's not even good at kendo. He isn't a sword fighting master. He's talented but not perfect. Asuna staying right behind him despite being the game's least experienced player is arguably more impressive.

Stereben on the other hand is the type of person that has been totally absorbed into video gaming. That's probably all he does day and night. He accused Kirito of letting "the real world air make him weak," and to a degree he's right. Kirito plays games but he has a real life outside of that. Streben's entire life is devoted to this. He's figured out multiple advantages in GGO no other player has discovered. The idea that he can be an expert sniper and swordsman is totally believable.

3) All logs got deleted. All they know is what was told to them by survivors. Don't know what else to tell you.

4) No idea where you're even going with this. Their plan makes perfect sense. "everything is recorded everywhere?" Uh....okay.

5) Wow...are we really bringing up interpol to investigate rumors of crimes being committed in video games? You're trying way too hard. There wasn't even any real evidence murders WERE being committed, just a theory.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:23 pm Reply with quote
I'm thinking Bugnin just trying too hard to cover up all the thin places in this show...

1) see my #2 point; you can not be top long-range and top close combat player at the same time -- this is not believable. Besides, the fact that bad guy's rifle is lighter is irrelevant since sniper girl did not have to move her rifle, she just had to pull the trigger, and yet the bad guy had time to re-aim while she was frozen. Pathetic;

2) the issue is not what is stronger, but the very fact that Kirito was cut twice. This is proof of agility, dexterity and skill in swordsmanship. Swordsman's key measure is whether he lets opponent to cut him or not. The fact that the bad guy is both super sniper and is better in swordsmanship is ridiculous;

3) Why and how logs were deleted? There is no believable excuse for that. And there was only limited number of "survivors", their character data is intact, including all of the gang signs (some of which were brought to the new game, like in case of the bad guy). There is definite way to establish who was who regardless even if the logs are not present any more;

4) yes, the more so in ~2026. Even now Tokyo alone has thousands of cameras in all kinds of places. And, as time goes, recording systems advance and now keep the video for significant time before its memory gets rewritten (in some cases, videos are archived for a year and longer). It is not VHS tapes' pool which get re-recorded over every 24 hours any more, it is 21st Century;

5) this setting totally warrants official investigation. And, as I wrote, you do not even need Interpol since MMORPGs are regulated now in most areas, and the companies who run those game fully cooperate with authorities even without Interpol.[/quote]

Last edited by MaxSouth on Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bugnin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:29 pm Reply with quote
So...everything is recorded everywhere on camera in 2026? This is a fact? You have a time machine we don't know about?

I'm sorry, did you write this story or did someone else? Why are you explaining how the author's fictional world set in 2026 works? Given that the story revolves around a gaming system that literally links into your brain, how are you able to decide what is "realistic?"

Last edited by Bugnin on Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:32 pm Reply with quote
So, your idea is that the world will go backwards, and dormitories and rent houses will cease to be video recorded and/or video recording will not advance to that in twelve years?

You can stretch it to a mile, but, I am sorry, you will not cover all the holes in the story. Not even this one, let alone others that were mentioned.
Bugnin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:41 pm Reply with quote
I understanding debating the facts or consistency of the story. Debating the actual setting itself as "unrealistic" is just silly. Anyone can call any science fiction story ever written "unrealistic." It's lazy criticism.

As for the facts of the story, there was nothing wrong with Kirito's swordsmanship in that first exchange. Stereben's sword simply cut through his parry attempt and stabbed him. That was a superior weapon, not superior technique.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Bugnin wrote:
I understanding debating the facts or consistency of the story.

From the looks of it you are just feeding the troll.
Bugnin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:21 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Bugnin wrote:
I understanding debating the facts or consistency of the story.

From the looks of it you are just feeding the troll.

Guilty as charged. I should have just cut it off at one response and left it at that.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

2) the fact that Kirito is supposedly the best sword player and still loses to the bad guy is also not quire believable. Also, characters have different specifications, and those who are top long-range players are vastly different from those who are top combat players in terms or agility/dexterity. Thus the buy guy switching from being super sniper to super swordsman is not believable;

Kirito is a really good swordsman, but not like the best ever in history. He was better than players in ALO, and especially in GGO, because he'd had a lot of practice in a life or death sword fighting game, and GGO isn't even about swords. Sterben is an SAO vet too though, and not only that, but a dedicated PK, who had likely been in a lot more fights against human opponents.

Also keep in mind that SAO was very level-based, and part of Kirito's strength in that game came from his dedication to power-grinding. Setting aside his stat advantage, there were likely plenty of players with higher sword skill than he had.

Also remember that GGO is apparently not a "class" based game, there does not seem to be a significant distinction between a "run and gun" or "sniper" or "swordsman" character, it's all just about stats, player skills, and equipment. Being able to switch between tactics and gear is not unusual.

Quote:

3) Why and how logs were deleted? There is no believable excuse for that. And there was only limited number of "survivors", their character data is intact, including all of the gang signs (some of which were brought to the new game, like in case of the bad guy). There is definite way to establish who was who regardless even if the logs are not present any more;

Did you see the end of the Aincrad arc, where Asuna and Kirito watched the castle breaking apart? That was Heathcliff deleting all the SAO data. There was nothing left.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:35 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
And there was only limited number of "survivors"

There were over 6,000 survivors. And the Japanese government has information on them. However, they don't know who is playing GGO, because GGO is not a Japanese game. It's an American game. And the American country is not going to hand over player information about their players unless the Japanese government has concrete information on a certain player.

It's the same thing that's currently happening in various lawsuits involving companies such as Uber and Yelp, where there's problems with some of the users of their services, but unless they have links to specific users, the courts won't subpoena the information from the companies. The Japanese government needs to be able to say "we have reason to believe this specific user is involved in murders" so they can get a subpoena for the information. That's why they needed Kirito to go in and find out who it was. Because they can't just say "can we have your list of users, so we can compare with this list we have here?"
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:08 pm Reply with quote
@ MaxSouth
Dude, are you sure that you're fully paying attention?

1) Sniping requires quite a bit of time, there is a range of things to take into consideration from wind to air pressure, and the bit more focus may have been what allowed her to destroy his rifle.

2) Did you pay attention to their weapons? We know that energy spoiler[weapons is the reason why characters use shields in the game, and know that bullets are not affected by the shields. Because Kirito's sword is energy based, and DG's was metal based with supposedly made of the best material, it does not take much to understand that DG's weapon was going right through Kirito's. Kirito was not prepared and that is why he is having trouble].

3) It is not even about being able to reach the LC members, technically LC did nothing illegal, and up till recently they did not know they were involved in this, and they would actually need more than a hunch then to harass every member with what power the task force has.

4) As mentioned all targets lived in old apartments, all the kills were planned ahead of time, and clearly they have some hackers. It is not in least foreseeable that they could ahead of time know if there are any cameras, and be able to make it so there was no evidence. And I don't think they would have permission for their department to demand to have access to every camera.

5) But what evidence is there of a big crime? There are people who died of heart failure, which might not be too surprising with their life style, and internet. I imagine they would probably be laughed right in their face for trying to get the international police to do it. Sure Interpol might get involved sooner or later, but it would not be good to wait for that to happen as it would weigh pretty badly on the government.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

1) Sniping requires quite a bit of time, there is a range of things to take into consideration from wind to air pressure, and the bit more focus may have been what allowed her to destroy his rifle.

I don't think that's the case. I don't believe either was actually attempting to shoot the other's gun, they were both likely going to headshots, but if you notice when they passed each other, their vortexes knocked both rounds off course. Sinon's likely destroyed the gun because it was a larger slug, and therefore deflected less.

Quote:

2) Did you pay attention to their weapons? We know that energy spoiler[weapons is the reason why characters use shields in the game, and know that bullets are not affected by the shields. Because Kirito's sword is energy based, and DG's was metal based with supposedly made of the best material, it does not take much to understand that DG's weapon was going right through Kirito's. Kirito was not prepared and that is why he is having trouble].

Was that the case? I forget what the LN said on the matter, but just from watching the show I didn't see the estoc passing through Kirito's blade, so much as that it completely caught him off guard the first time, at which point he got stabbed right in the sword shoulder, and then he was just being outclassed what with the opponent having a weapon better suited to his style, and not wound to slow him down.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 55 of 115