• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sword Art Online II (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:34 pm Reply with quote
You know an episode is good when you're practically biting your nails during most of it.

@ MaxSouth

.........do you ever have anything of value to say?

Quote:

the fact that Kirito is supposedly the best sword player and still loses to the bad guy is also not quire believable

The fact that you say the stupidest things when you criticize anime "is also not quire believable."
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:01 pm Reply with quote
eh, it was neat when stuff finally started happening, but nothing about this show gets me anywhere close to nail biting
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:26 pm Reply with quote
I didn't feel the first part dragged at all, I thought it was interesting. Maybe one of the strongest episodes of the entire series, especially seeing Sinon get back on her feet. It's definitely not nail-biting worthy, mostly because I don't give a fudge about Kirito, but it was still entertaining. At least it's better than Aldnoah.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:30 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
It's definitely not nail-biting worthy, mostly because I don't give a fudge about Kirito,

Well, I do. :p And why not? He's a good person; always going out of his way to help others...but he's still human about it.
Bugnin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:17 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
I didn't feel the first part dragged at all, I thought it was interesting. Maybe one of the strongest episodes of the entire series, especially seeing Sinon get back on her feet. It's definitely not nail-biting worthy, mostly because I don't give a fudge about Kirito, but it was still entertaining. At least it's better than Aldnoah.
I find it suspenseful for Sinon; Kirito is essentially fighting with her life, not his. If he loses, she dies.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:21 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I find it suspenseful for Sinon; Kirito is essentially fighting with her life, not his. If he loses, she dies.

This.

When that bullet was coming at her, I was yelling.
"SINON, MOVE! SINON, MOVE!"

lol

Even though I'm 100% sure she won't die, if I'm still yelling during suspenseful scenes, the director is doing his job.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:14 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Well remember, if he'd shot her with that bullet, she'd be fine. Mostly. He avatar likely would have died, unless those were the stun bullets, in which case she'd just be stunned. He would need to walk up and cap her with the pistol to "kill" her IRL, and that would mean beating Kirito and crossing a lot of ground first. Even stunned she could likely wake up before that and run.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:38 am Reply with quote
If she died, either Death Gun might actually leave, and find nothing else out, or if she logged out, then she might have been in trouble.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:53 am Reply with quote
Perhaps, but based on the MO, if she died in the "wrong" way, the home invader would likely slip out quietly before she woke up. It would ruin the con if she died under the wrong circumstances.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:57 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
Quote:

Well remember, if he'd shot her with that bullet, she'd be fine. Mostly. He avatar likely would have died, unless those were the stun bullets, in which case she'd just be stunned. He would need to walk up and cap her with the pistol to "kill" her IRL, and that would mean beating Kirito and crossing a lot of ground first. Even stunned she could likely wake up before that and run.

.............oops.

I forgot. Anime hyper
Well now, don't I just feel silly? :<
Gatherum

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:45 am Reply with quote
We're still in the first half of the show, so forgive me if I'm jumping the gun (Razz), but does anyone else feel like this second season, despite comparatively lesser animation quality overall, generally trumps the first via plot? When I think about it, there are few fewer plot threads and/or side-stories (read: like, one) and a much smaller cast (even spoiler[Asuna is relegated to minor character status]). As a result, the main characters and story arc feel as if they lack nothing in depth and focus. I'm still a bit nervous, since the franchise as a whole seems to worship Kirito as a chick-magnetising badass (unintentional as it might be on his part), and feel that it's still possible for Sinon to fall distastefully under his spell, if she hasn't already. Still, even compared to the first season's first half, I think this sequel is stronger and more solid.

Death Gun is perhaps one of the best villains I've seen for a long time, at least from an aesthetic standpoint. He has that larger-than-you, almost imperial Darth Vader vibe going for him, right down to his voice and appearance, and his menace really does defeat the quick realisation that he is spoiler[basically an obsessed, basement-dwelling otaku in real life]. He is a massive improvement over Oberon and even Kayaba as an antagonist in that his goals are not at all macroscopic and, indeed, terrifyingly simple. This is reflected in his collected, man-of-few-words demeanour.

If this season truly does pan out better than the previous, I might need to buy it...which means, for the sake of completion, I'll need to buy the first as well.

I'm going to be set back a few bucks, I'm sure. Razz

Chiibi wrote:

.............oops.

I forgot. Anime hyper
Well now, don't I just feel silly? :<

You shouldn't. You're just under the general spell of Death Gun's menace. I'll admit myself that I forgot that the pistol is his true killing weapon, and feared for Sinon quite a bit when she was in his sights. Mark of a good villain. Wink

Last edited by Gatherum on Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:52 am; edited 1 time in total
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:54 am Reply with quote
Death Gun is a cool looking villain. Recently I was thinking about changing my avatar to him, although so far have not set aside the time to look for a picture I am happy with.
Bugnin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:04 am Reply with quote
Gatherum wrote:
We're still in the first half of the show, so forgive me if I'm jumping the gun (Razz), but does anyone else feel like this second season, and despite comparatively lesser animation quality overall, generally trumps the first via plot? When I think about it, there are few fewer plot threads and/or side-stories (read: like, one) and a much smaller cast (even spoiler[Asuna is relegated to minor character status]). As a result, the main characters and story arc feel as if they lack nothing in depth and focus. I'm still a bit nervous, since the franchise as a whole seems to worship Kirito as a chick-magnetising badass (unintentional as it might be on his part), and feel that it's still possible for Sinon to fall distastefully under his spell, if she hasn't already. Still, even compared to the first season's first half, I think this sequel is stronger and more solid.

Death Gun is perhaps one of the best villains I've seen for a long time, at least from an aesthetic standpoint. He has that larger-than-you, almost imperial Darth Vader vibe going for him, right down to his voice and appearance, and his menace really does defeat the quick realisation that he is spoiler[basically an obsessed, basement-dwelling otaku in real life]. He is a massive improvement over Oberon and even Kayaba as an antagonist in that his goals are not at all macroscopic and, indeed, terrifyingly simple. This is reflected in his collected, man-of-few-words demeanour.

If this season truly does pan out better than the previous, I might need to buy it...which means, for the sake of completion, I'll need to buy the first as well.

I'm going to be set back a few bucks, I'm sure. Razz

Sword Art Online is Reki's first attempt at a real light novel. You can tell he starts to really get the concept of good storytelling in his third arc (GGO).

GGO is definitely a better arc than the first two. The next arc after GGO is his shortest, but IMO is his finest work (and then things start to get really crazy...)
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:11 am Reply with quote
You certainly can't argue that the first half of SAO II isn't more focused than the first chunk of SAO. On a pure enjoyment level, however, I still give the nod to the first season, even with its myriad frustrations. Partially it is a matter of stakes. SAO I was all about how thousands of people were at risk, including several characters we cared about. SAO II is about a handful of people at risk and only one we care about. Kirito himself is in no danger (that we are currently aware of). Also there is virtually no exploration of the world of GGO. It literally is just a backdrop.

I'm enjoying this arc but I can't say it's entertaining me as much as the first one.
Bugnin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:25 am Reply with quote
The first arc was fantastic in terms of the setting, but there simply wasn't enough done with it. It took place over two years and episodes were skipping 2-6 months at a time. There was potential for a great story to tell, but all we got was the cliff's notes version. GGO takes place over a matter of days, and we almost get the same amount of screen time.

Reki is trying to retcon this a bit in the SAO: Progressive manga, which is essentially a reboot of SAO told much more in depth, from Asuna's perspective. Since she knows as little about the game as the reader, exposition is a lot more frequent.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 56 of 115