• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - This Old Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Chiibi wrote:
I'm shocked people have ANY fondness for Card Captor Sakura's dub.

It was god-awful. The characters were supposed to be cute, for crying out loud.

They did at least get a child actress for the lead role, which is pretty rare in anime (outside of films, the only ones that comes to mind immediately are Rachel Hirschfield for R.O.D the TV and Aaron Dismuke for the original FMA).

You forgot Nadia, Jean, and Marie from Nadia: Secret of Blue Water.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Back when I was watching Sailor Moon and Cardcaptor Sakura as a kid, I enjoyed them pretty well and I thought the openings were fun to watch. Now looking back, they were really terrible, particularly Nelvana's English version of Cardcaptor Sakura, in which I eventually learned that they tried to make it look as if it was a Shounen show and not a Magical Girl one, which it was before Nelvana made all those story-derailing edits. Now that both shows are reappearing uncensored and uncut, my desire of seeing the old English versions of them has waned completely.
RokugoPeachMoon

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

I don't get it either. I like nostalgia feels as much as the next person (looking at getting an N64 soon), but I am smart and wise enough to know that the nelvana dub was garbage and isn't worth listening to/ watching EVER again. I am not interested in watching cut versions shows (or dubs for that matter), and even if I was interested, watching it isn't going to time warp me back to 1998.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 6:37 pm Reply with quote
EyeOfPain wrote:
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Chiibi wrote:

It was god-awful. The characters were supposed to be cute, for crying out loud.

They did at least get a child actress for the lead role, which is pretty rare in anime (outside of films, the only ones that comes to mind immediately are Rachel Hirschfield for R.O.D the TV and Aaron Dismuke for the original FMA).

Back in the day, AnimEigo used a lot of real kids to play children in dubs such as You're Under Arrest. The only problem was.... most of them were terrible actors. Neutral
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 6:47 pm Reply with quote
EyeOfPain wrote:

Aquasakura wrote:
With that said, I’m with the Awnserman on this one concerning of not seeing them anytime soon. Besides those dubs were very terrible, and it doesn’t seem like many people want to see those dubs. Although there have been cases that an old dub has been re-release. For example a company called Discoteck Media has re-release old dubs of these shows called Samurai Pizza Cats and Monster Rangers. So I guess there are those who do want to see the old dubs probably for nostalgia reasons (or so as a means they can get together with their friends and rip off/make fun of just how terrible they were).

Last Youmacon, the marathon room was Samurai Pizza Cats. Myself and the two friends I was with decided to kill time in there before one of the late-night panels. I'm not sure if it was because of the long day, but all three of us were surprised by how hilarious the dub still was. I'm sure it butchered the original characters, but we didn't care.

Good for you Eye of Pain. It seems like you enjoyed yourself at that time. Smile I haven't seen the U.S dub of Samurai Pizza Cats for so long (the last time was when I was a child), and I have yet to see the original Japanese dub do I don't know how good it is. In fact, from what I've heard the people who dub that show just wrote whatever they thought was happening as they didn't understand the language, so I can imagine if I ever do get to see the original dub, as well as maybe taking a look at the U.S dub, there are going to be drastic differences that it might be funny.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
KiraMustDie

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 7:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised by how many people are saying the Animax Asia dub of Card Captor Sakura was good. Sure, it's more faithful to the original, but the voice acting and production value are far worse than the Nelvana dub. I'll give that dub this, it was at least listenable, and was done by a competent dub studio (Ocean). All of Animax's dubs I heard had sub-par voice work and sounded like they were recorded in a trash can. I hope they don't put that on the new release (Although I don't know if that was actually confirmed, as I didn't hear anything about that) and just do a new dub. Bang Zoom did a dub for the second movie that was pretty faithful to the original, so I hope they get them instead.

Last edited by KiraMustDie on Fri May 23, 2014 7:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:

It was somewhat common for Ocean and New Generation Pictures to use child and teen VA's, at least much more so than the other usual dubbing studios in the 00's.

Last edited by EmperorBrandon on Fri May 23, 2014 7:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Yes, the Animax dub is being put on NISA's release. I'm sure they want to make a new dub like Viz is doing for Sailor Moon, but they're a small company right now, and money issues are probably preventing them from doing so.
UtenaNicoletta

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Funny story, Justin (if you read these comments).

At Fanime last year, I went to a panel hosted by Takahiro Omori, who directed Natsume among several other shows. At the panel, he said that he was trained as a sound director originally and that this helped him with the voice actors; he said that he does something to the effect of encouraging the voice actors to relax and not constrain their acting to the animation, and then working with the animators to retouch the bits in need of it once the lines are recorded.

I wonder if it's done as he described (he said this through an interpreter, so my description may not be entirely accurate), and if so, how prevalent that is. Natsume seems to have had the budget for it, though that might have been helped by the fact that there are fairly few sequences that need a large animation budget.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 7:29 pm Reply with quote
EyeOfPain wrote:

Not so much forgotten as never knew, since I've never seen the show. There are probably many I don't know of or have forgotten, which is why I specified they were the only names that immediately leapt to mind.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
BooktapC

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 8:05 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
BooktapC wrote:
I learned a lot. Thanks Justin. Who knew we got Sailor Moon because in Japan it might not be highly sought anymore. Good for us then Razz

You misunderstood. We're not getting the old dub of Sailor Moon BECAUSE people in Japan still care a lot about it, especially its creator, who is now quite powerful.

I haven't seen the old dub or I should say I have seen it but can hardly recall it. I thought for sure this was the first time the show was releasing again since being out of print for a while. I am actually 19 right now so saw Sailor Moon when I was a young girl around 1998, I believe.

I remember liking it. So just really looking forward to it being released again now by Viz Media and with a new dub. I just want the series in general. Can't recall the old dub so don't hold too much attachment on that front. I am just happy to see the series getting released again.

From your column since you wrote that the creators don't really care about dubs of the 90's sorry if misunderstood something. Not sure what you meant since could have read in a different way? Let me know what you meant! I would love to know what you meant to say from your column.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 8:17 pm Reply with quote
BooktapC wrote:
From your column since you wrote that the creators don't really care about dubs of the 90's sorry if misunderstood something. Not sure what you meant since could have read in a different way? Let me know what you meant! I would love to know what you meant to say from your column.

You're taking what Justin said as being absolute & without exception. Normally, the Japanese don't care about some seemingly-random edited dub of a product from the 90s, and possibly even the early-00s... But then you have exceptions like Sailor Moon, where the original creator DOES care about the DiC.

And by "care" I mean she's hates it & doesn't want it being re-released; Zac even talked about it slightly on the ANNCast that came out today. What Justin is saying is that the moments we get these edited dubs are because the Japanese don't care, which is most of the time, but the moments we don't is usually because they do care, which is rare but does happen.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 8:24 pm Reply with quote
A thing about Cardcaptors and other shows that use actual kids/teens in the English dubs: they can give a more authentic kid voice compared to an adult doing the voice (this applies to English and Japanese).
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 9:22 pm Reply with quote
For everyone's sake, I do hope that Viz can at least sneak the original English Sailor Moon intro onto their release as an extra. Because, come on...I never once watched the show, but even I knew most of the lyrics.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Okay, so I'm not deathly familiar with Takeuchi's issue with the 90's dub, except for the fact that Sailor Moon's VA's voice (Terri Hawkes) was deeper than she would have expected it to be.

I personally thought the first VA was the perfect range for Serena/Usagi before Hawkes, but I had a fondness for the English dub for the longest time. Though I do feel a new dub is not the end of the world, mind you, because having it uncut and in my collection is what I want.

Anyone can fill me in? I can't listen to the podcast right now, so the only thing I've ever heard her getting upset with is Toei's handling of the series in general (their edits and changes before it was licensed in other countries)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7