• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Useless Animal Sidekicks

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lemurs

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 2:24 pm Reply with quote
I thought Puar was a female shapeshifting cat-thing.
Patches

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Jaken is not a kappa. He doesn't have a shell or the tuft of hair on his head and his legs are too short. It's never specified what he actually is, but there were kappa in the Inuyasha manga that didn't look much of anything like him.

Ah-Un is Sesshoumaru's team's animal sidekick, not Jaken. Jaken is Sesshoumaru's team's version of Shippou: useless in a fight, and spends most battles off to the side snarking everyone else. Hell, until he picked up Kohaku, everyone on Sesshoumaru's team was useless (and even Kohaku's competency seemed to drop substantially once he joined up).

It's also generally kind of hard to judge who counts as an "animal" sidekick when the team lead is a dog.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Cubone doesn't count since the breed's backstory is implausible to the point of being impossible.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 3:17 pm Reply with quote
revolutionotaku wrote:
Meow is NOT a cat, he's a Betelgeusian.

The List wrote:

Meow is useless both as a cat (which he'll argue he is not)

I know he isn't a cat, which is why he is "useless" as a cat.

I'm pretty sure Jaken is inspired by a kappa, at least in his appearance and as another mythological reference (p.s. don't look up the original legend of demon dogs)

The entry on James' Gyarados was supposed to be comedic but maybe it wasn't blunt enough.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
EricJ2 wrote:
Now, as for USELESS animals, I never watched that far, was there actually a reason why Utena had a cutesy pet?

Chu-Chu was Anthy's pet, and aside from providing much needed comfort for her, he occasionally proved useful in thwarting some of Nanami's silly plots. He just liked hanging out with Utena too.

I was a little saddened to see Misaki Aoyagi on the last poll, as she wasn't willfully evil, just mentally ill. But I'm pleased to see that Shinzen Tennozou wasn't forgotten. She was a monster, whose "tragic" backstory did nothing to exonerate her actions.

Can't answer the new poll. I can't say I've never been to any anime cons, but I haven't been to one in over a decade, and don't plan to. So none of the choices work.

Jaken was supposed to be a kappa (does the hat cover his bowl?)? I always just thought of him as a demonic frog. He's not entirely useless though, wielding the Staff of Two Heads and babysitting Rin (thought she doesn't really need it). Now Shippo...

I never liked the episodes with Nanami as the main so I tend to avoid them. I can't recall Chu Chu really stopping her schemes in the anime, but I know he was sort of useful in the manga particularly with the chilly incident. Oh wait... didn't he cause that?
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Tenbyakugon wrote:
Totally did not see Magikarp coming for #1! Laughing PERFECT choice, lmao!

Yeah, that was a great one. Poor old Magikarp.
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Poor Puar. He was one of my favorites early on, even if he was annoying. Anime cry
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 3:52 pm Reply with quote
KENZICHI wrote:
I never liked the episodes with Nanami as the main so I tend to avoid them. I can't recall Chu Chu really stopping her schemes in the anime, but I know he was sort of useful in the manga particularly with the chilly incident. Oh wait... didn't he cause that?

Being useful in thwarting isn't necessarily the same as actually thwarting (that's probably the oddest sentence I'll write all day). But yes, he was instrumental in the curry fiasco, among other incidents.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Hey, Puar saved everybody's lives once by turning into scissors.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
immblueversion

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 6:36 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Wow, by a margin of .3%? This Ragyo must be something else to beat Medusa out like that.

Imagine everything that makes Medusa a horrible mother with an added dash of teen incest.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 6:49 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

(And speaking of the Pen-Pen avatar...) Wink
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 7:30 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Wow, by a margin of .3%? This Ragyo must be something else to beat Medusa out like that.

Especially considering that how the link to the poll for that column was worded:
Quote:
Which of these anime moms are more witch than parent?

Medusa, of course, isn't only a poor excuse for a parent, but also literally a witch.

What pushed Ragyo over the top was no doubt no just a certain scene that made a lot of people uncomfortable, but a certain action that falls under the major spoiler category.
clipeuh

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 7:40 pm Reply with quote
He may be a useless slacker but Meow did bring IMO the best episode of Space Dandy season one with the story about his father. The show needs more episodes like that in season two. Smile
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Interesting poll results, the newest thing versus something actually worth remembering and still just barely won; A clear loss for Ragyo. I could have voted for her if her plan had any sense of meaning and not just in relation to her daughter; Experiment, experiment, kill all humans!. It's a tough transition to justify and they really didn't care to try.

Medusa was a cold blooded mother of a mother and she always will be.

Sadly, Chamo from Negima! isn't useless as he's the ermine fairy who controls Negi's pactio system. Without him it's just a bunch of middle school girls getting busy with a ten year old boy. With him...

It's a bunch of middle school girls getting busy with a ten year old boy for a reason. And not just that one!

In his spot, I'd recommend Mokona but oddly enough, only the original one from Magic Knight Rayearth and not the one from Tsubasa. Even though she only appears in Tsubasa because of the earlier series, she has an actual job to do there. In Rayearth, she's a...

She does...

She's there to...

She's a cross between a slime and a rabbit? I don't have anything else.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 8:00 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

(And speaking of the Pen-Pen avatar...) Wink

Pen Pen isn't a sidekick. He's the star! Mr. Green
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4