• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Useless Animal Sidekicks

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LuScr

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

In his spot, I'd recommend Mokona but oddly enough, only the original one from Magic Knight Rayearth and not the one from Tsubasa. Even though she only appears in Tsubasa because of the earlier series, she has an actual job to do there. In Rayearth, she's a...

She does...

She's there to...

She's a cross between a slime and a rabbit? I don't have anything else.

spoiler[Mokona is God. (Literally. He/She/It is the Creator of Cephiro, and the ultimate power in MKR.)]
Kosaka

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Well, Meow is a ramen connoisseur.

I've attended 1 or 2 anime conventions per year in the past, but I haven't attended any for a couple of years.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 9:10 pm Reply with quote
If you think about it, the defining qualities of Meow that show he's useless pretty much describe Dandy too. Smile
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
In his spot, I'd recommend Mokona but oddly enough, only the original one from Magic Knight Rayearth and not the one from Tsubasa.

And the one from xxxHolic clearly has a function, namely to torment Watanuki. Very Happy
feuerwerke

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 12:53 am Reply with quote
...Yeah Ragyo is the right answer to the poll.

Also re; this time's question, man, I have to say I hate when the internet starts hyping up "con season". You guys always start this right AFTER my main con and I wind up feeling left out even though I just went to ACen. Damn coasts.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 1:35 am Reply with quote
Last week's poll was pretty tough to vote for. I think I ended up voting for Presea Testarossa because not only did she spoiler[whip Fate on multiple occasions, not only did she never show her an ounce of kindness, but she relentlessly crushed Fate's attempts to please her *and* then told her that she was a useless, failed experiment which put Fate into BSOD territory. I think it was Fate's innocence and desperate attempts to please her mother which made the whole thing worse.] Ragyo was a worse human being, but I still think Presea was more horrible as a mother.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 4:24 am Reply with quote
Tenbyakugon wrote:
Totally did not see Magikarp coming for #1! Laughing PERFECT choice, lmao!

i wouldnt think so. ABSOLUTELY magikarp is useless,but he's no sidekick and thereby shouldnt belong on that list.

HOWEVER the rocket gang's meouth is & definitely should be on this list. the only thing he does is talk. that's it. i would put meouth at number 7. at least jaken is more useful than meouth.

though chim chim definitely should have been number 1. that thing is completely useless and who the hell keeps a monkey anyways?

at least negi's partner camo is sort of useful , though mainly in the comedy aspect and acting like an uber perv during pactios and definitely shouldnt be on the list.

if there is anything that was useless is that turtle from love hina or that black cat from trigun.

also never thought medusa could be #2 on the poll. that should have been a no brainer since she is far worse than raygo and ren.

though i am more surprised that marianne even is in the top 5 cause there is a difference between being delusional and psychotic and marianne is definitely no psycho bitch like raygo and especially medusa.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 9:43 am Reply with quote
Nah, Magikarp works. A trainer's team of Pokemon are his sidekicks (partners). Nobody would ever use Magikarp unless they were trying to get it to evolve. Meowth has his intelligence backing him, not to mention a much larger move pool compared to Magikarp.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 10:04 am Reply with quote
This'll be my 10th year at Anime Expo, and 8th year on staff. Despite being in Access Control and having to be everywhere, I don't have that many great staff stories that I've witnessed. I always hear about stuff from other staffers or attendees. I remember that AX 2007 was certainly a test for new staffers, with the rather insane Day 1 Exhibit Hall line and S.O.S. Brigade event line due in part to the terrible venue...

I attend the local Fresno Ani-Jam depending on what English voice actors they get. Was pretty awesome that Cynthia Martinez came over and I got her to sign my Kaleido Star box. I'm pretty excited for Jad Saxton and Jessica Calvello this year.

I also plan on attending the second Japan Expo USA. Hopefully, things will be an improvement from last year.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 11:16 am Reply with quote
What's cool is that the ermine is part of the Mustelidae family that includes the honey badger and wolverine.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 4:36 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:

also never thought medusa could be #2 on the poll. that should have been a no brainer since she is far worse than raygo and ren.

No doubt spoiler[discarding one of her infant children like trash] had a hand in some people's decision, while the apparent spoiler[incestuous molestation of the daughter she kept] did it for others.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Sorry if this comes across as a bit rude, but Chamo isn't very useless at all. Anyone who's read even three volumes of Negima knows that's completely untrue. He has control over the pactio system, the system which almost the entire main cast uses to assist and fight alongside the main character. Without it, almost half the cast probably wouldn't even be relevant. He also comes up with some pretty intelligent battle strategies throughout the series. Greedy and perverted? Yes. Useless? Not even close. He's certainly more useful than Jaken.

I wouldn't even say his various anime incarnations are useless, as the pactio system is still used there, albeit not very often.
OtakuKitten

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Does Camo from Negima count? Wasn't he a transfigured human? hhhhmmmmmmmmm Razz

Either way I really enjoy this article. It always makes me laugh.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 4:22 am Reply with quote
LuScr wrote:

spoiler[Mokona is God. (Literally. He/She/It is the Creator of Cephiro, and the ultimate power in MKR.)]

So you're confirming the rabbit thing has no bearing on the present plot and only sticks around because it amuses itself by enjoying the mess it made? That's actually worse!

In the second season, Mokona gets into that rivalry with Lantis' fairy sidekick, his "Navi" if you will. So it's one type of annoying sidekick versus another, the "Hey, listen!" type versus the "poo poo, poo poo" animal one for the greatest waste of time possible.

Magikarp didn't stick around long enough for its uselessness to be truly explored. Though I admit I was a Pokemon player who leveled up a magikarp without knowing anything about it {or why but the name is a combination of "magic" and "carp" so...} so I fully appreciate its apparent uselessness.

The gyardos was not, however. If you look at it from the anime's perspective, what Magikarp really proves is how useless James was as a trainer.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Last week's poll was pretty tough to vote for. I think I ended up voting for Presea Testarossa because not only did she

I don't see how she can even be on that list. She was actually shown to be a pretty kind and loving mother to her child, Alicia.

I feel like I need to point out that Fate spoiler[isn't her child. Fate is a clone and was not born from the cells of Precia therefore isn't actually her daughter. Fate is closer to being Alicia's daughter than Precia's. Now you could argue being a mother doesn't have to be a genetic thing (which I'd agree with), but that only applies if Precia was trying to be a mother. In this case, she pretty clearly thought of Fate as a tool rather than a daughter when she was doing those things to Fate. So neither possible case for her to be thought of as Fate's mother holds.

Though yes, I do realize Fate thinks of her as a mother, but that is due to her having Alicia's memories and is really just a one sided relationship.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4