• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Useless Animal Sidekicks

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 8:59 pm Reply with quote
immblueversion wrote:
belvadeer wrote:
Wow, by a margin of .3%? This Ragyo must be something else to beat Medusa out like that.

Imagine everything that makes Medusa a horrible mother with an added dash of teen incest.

That actually makes it better.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 10:35 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
I don't see how she can even be on that list. She was actually shown to be a pretty kind and loving mother to her child, Alicia.

I feel like I need to point out that Fate spoiler[isn't her child. Fate is a clone and was not born from the cells of Precia therefore isn't actually her daughter. Fate is closer to being Alicia's daughter than Precia's. Now you could argue being a mother doesn't have to be a genetic thing (which I'd agree with), but that only applies if Precia was trying to be a mother. In this case, she pretty clearly thought of Fate as a tool rather than a daughter when she was doing those things to Fate. So neither possible case for her to be thought of as Fate's mother holds.

Though yes, I do realize Fate thinks of her as a mother, but that is due to her having Alicia's memories and is really just a one sided relationship.]

I'm surprised you'd quibble over something like that. I mean, seriously: spoiler[Yes, Fate was born using Alicia's genes, which are those of Precia's daughter. In other words, Fate has the exact same genes as Alica's parents, *and* she has at least some, if not more, of Alicia's memories, which is *why* she thinks of herself as Precia's daughter. Plus, Precia encouraged that belief and used it for her own ends, which is one of the reasons she was such a horrible mother.]

So far as I can tell from watching the series, it seems like Fate was *brought up* as spoiler[Precia's daughter. Precia called her that. Fate treated Precia as her mother. Arf thought they were mother-daughter as well. Remember that at first, Precia was hoping that Alicia's memories would "return" to Fate (which they did, at least in part, but apparently Precia never realized that, maybe it happened after she'd given up), but it was when they didn't (at least not at the time) that she considered the experiment a failure, turning to going to Al-Hazad as a way of getting what she wanted instead, and using her failed experiment to make it happen.]

So, Fate had spoiler[the genes of Precia's daughter, (some of) the memories of Precia's daughter, and was called Precia's daughter by everyone, including Precia. Yet Precia had been driven insane by the death of Alicia. She was unable to even recognize that there was any success in her experiment. Even if Alicia herself had appeared in Fate (which I think did happen), I'm not sure it would've penetrated Precia's shroud of self-hatred and self-recrimination.] But seeing Fate trying so desperately to do so while still being abused so thoroughly is what made it so heart-breaking for me.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 7:43 am Reply with quote
OtakuKitten wrote:
Does Camo from Negima count? Wasn't he a transfigured human? hhhhmmmmmmmmm Razz

Either way I really enjoy this article. It always makes me laugh.

i too was wondering about that. its possible that he is a genuine fairy ermine or was a human that was turned into one for breaking the rules. though i say it was the latter cause that have to be the primary reason he's perverted. he was human from the beginning. Unfortunately nothing was mentioned about that in that series or in the neo series, but it might have a mention about it in HQ Holder if he makes a cameo appearance.

TheAncientOne wrote:
jr0904 wrote:

also never thought medusa could be #2 on the poll. that should have been a no brainer since she is far worse than raygo and ren.

No doubt spoiler[discarding one of her infant children like trash] had a hand in some people's decision, while the apparent spoiler[incestuous molestation of the daughter she kept] did it for others.

and both were bad ,but seriously. using her own son as a test subject and subjecting him to psychological torture after the DWMA anniversary arc had to have put her over raygo and ren. and there are some that liked the whole mother/daughter thing too.

also there was kyoshiro's (from soultaker) mom as well who cleaved his heart with a kitchen knife only to be turned into a devil. mother of year she is definitely not.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
gridsleep

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 8:25 am Reply with quote
I am proud that I can stand up and say I don't know a dang thing about Pokémon. Well, I know a couple of small things mainly from fallout of accidentally glimpsing things about it, but I stand up and say I don't know a dang thing about it and I am proud when I do that. Digimon is 'way better.

The list of useless pets is short. Three that should have been included are Panty & Stocking's Chuck, Drossel von Flugel's Schädenfreude (Fireball), and Excel's Menchi. I considered including the cat from FLCL (the big gray house cat, not the little black thing by the river that I am not even sure was a real cat and did not appear to be anyone's pet) but Haruka seemed to think the cat was a better conversational partner than Naota, and it was also being very impressively cat-like which is of course being useless to humans in a way that says the humans don't deserve any help, and also seemed to be the only creature that really knew what was going on and wasn't going to provide anything in the way of an explanation, so all that together kind of makes the rest of the cast seem useless in comparison, which is what cats are for. My philosophy is that if humans did not exist, cats would not have cheese.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 5:49 pm Reply with quote
gridsleep wrote:
The list of useless pets is short. Three that should have been included are [...] and Excel's Menchi.

What? He served admirably as their emergency backup food source. They just never came down to needing it, but still useful (better to have & not need then need & not have.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4