• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll to Also Stream Sailor Moon Crystal

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rainbowrabbit

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 5:50 am Reply with quote
ChibiGoku wrote:
誤称 wrote:
Plus doesn't get you anything on Hulu in regards to better service or less ads, it just lets you stream to non-computer devices. It's a scam.

Net neutrality is a joke compared to device discrimination like what Hulu does.

Actually, from what I have observed, Hulu Plus, you only have two ads at maximum, while regular Hulu, you can have up to 4 (and I believe in some cases, 5) ads. Plus, Hulu does offer HD streaming for content that is available as such.

On top of that, Plus gives you more content. Last year when All My Children and One Life To Live temporarily survived cancellation, new episodes aired on Hulu exclusively in the US. You could only watch a certain amount of episodes with a free account. But having Plus got you everything. It's one of the reasons I upgraded since I loved those shows. I also liked being able to use the service on a TV through my PS3. Or even my iPhone, which really came in handy a few months ago when I was stuck at a train station for literally 5 hours. That's not including the 2+ hours I spent on the actual train. I was able to keep myself busy with Hulu Plus. So I don't see it as being useless like some people here are claiming.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 10:58 am Reply with quote
rainbowrabbit wrote:
So I don't see it as being useless like some people here are claiming.

Personally, I don't see it as useless so much as simply not a good value for the money for me.

It didn't help their case that when I had a two month trial of Hulu Plus a couple of years ago, I found their Roku app at the time was likely to either become slow to respond or lock up my Roku whenever I used rewind or fast forward.

I remember when I first subscribed to CR years ago, my primary motivation wasn't HD or getting simulcasts a week earlier; it was no commercials. With that in mind, it should be no surprise why I wouldn't consider Hulu Plus worth the monthly fee.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 11:08 am Reply with quote
To my knowledge, this and the new Sword Art Online II simulcasts are the earliest simulcast announcements CR has done.
j Talbain

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 11:26 am Reply with quote
What about an uncut version of JoJo? The blacked out violence is annoying.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 2:17 pm Reply with quote
j Talbain wrote:
What about an uncut version of JoJo? The blacked out violence is annoying.

Phantom Blood and Battle Tendency are unedited on CR. Stardust Crusaders is edited because it coincides with the Japanese broadcast. When Stardust Crusaders gets an uncut Blu-Ray release, CR may replace the TV edited vids with the Blu-Ray versions.
DigitalFowl

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 2:23 pm Reply with quote
And THERE is the simulcasting news I was looking for. Thanks for that CR.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Another reason why I'll take CR on my tablet (with or without commercials) over Funi's messed up closet any day.

(And no, I don't expect it'll "look just like Naoko's manga!" like the one promotional picture we saw, that's just silly. Razz
I expect it to look like the original, only...a little "flatter", without Sato or Ikuhara's whimsy, and from animators used to drawing drama series.)
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 3:42 pm Reply with quote
rainbowrabbit wrote:
On top of that, Plus gives you more content. Last year when All My Children and One Life To Live temporarily survived cancellation, new episodes aired on Hulu exclusively in the US. You could only watch a certain amount of episodes with a free account. But having Plus got you everything. It's one of the reasons I upgraded since I loved those shows. I also liked being able to use the service on a TV through my PS3. Or even my iPhone, which really came in handy a few months ago when I was stuck at a train station for literally 5 hours. That's not including the 2+ hours I spent on the actual train. I was able to keep myself busy with Hulu Plus. So I don't see it as being useless like some people here are claiming.

Hulu Regular has almost nothing except what public domain and YouTube randomness can scrape up. If you want the reruns that Hulu advertises, you get Plus.
And their being "neutral", you can not only find some of the more popular licensed CR series, but some from Funi, Anime Network, Neon Alley and Gong (?) channel as well. A nice sampling of some of the more recent mainstream disk-release favorites that you can't get on CR's '11-'14 simulcasting of broadcast TV shows, hit and flop.
Karate Swedish

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 4:42 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
rainbowrabbit wrote:

Hulu Regular has almost nothing except what public domain and YouTube randomness can scrape up. If you want the reruns that Hulu advertises, you get Plus.
And their being "neutral", you can not only find some of the more popular licensed CR series, but some from Funi, Anime Network, Neon Alley and Gong (?) channel as well. A nice sampling of some of the more recent mainstream disk-release favorites that you can't get on CR's '11-'14 simulcasting of broadcast TV shows, hit and flop.

The only reason to pay for Hulu Plus is if you want to watch Hulu on a Roku or some other streaming device and/or a mobile device. Though Hulu plus does have a good amount of the Criterion Collection. Other then that though Hulu Plus is a broken model that competes with itself and really silly. So this is a huge win for us.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 6:32 pm Reply with quote
July? Then I better get cracking watching the older series so I know what stayed and what went. Say, doesn't anyone know of any other info posted out there regarding Takeuchi's involvement with this reboot?
utawoutau

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 10:56 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoy Crunchyroll, but I have had problems watching anime sometimes on the day that it was released. In particular, one piece. It seems like whenever I try to watch that show on the day that it is released I end up getting a lot of slow down and it's really hard to watch until the next day.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 12:35 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
When Stardust Crusaders gets an uncut Blu-Ray release, CR may replace the TV edited vids with the Blu-Ray versions.

I wouldn't hold my breath on this. While uncensored versions are the norm for CR catalog titles, I've never known them to go back and replace the broadcast censored version of any simulcast show with any uncensored version at a later date.

TAN is also "guilty" of this. Even when Sentai obtains the home video rights for a show that was simulcast (or more recently, streamed the same season), they don't replace the subtitled version. The only way you'll see an uncensored version of such shows at The Anime Network website is if Sentai dubs the show, at which point TAN will obtain that, which of course uncensored.

Funimation is the only one that I know of that will go back and replace the subtitled version of a show with the uncensored version (after obtaining home video rights, and then only for Elite subscribers).
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 8:57 am Reply with quote
Wow, CR actually cares about Magical Girl anime other than Shugo Chara, and Toei's willing to let them stream their marquee Magical Girl title? I never thought I'd see the day, considering the 6 airing or aired Precure titles that've escaped CR's attention since their ascendance in 2009. (The borderline-unwatchable Toei-made streams of the 2004 series barely count.)

TheAncientOne wrote:
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
When Stardust Crusaders gets an uncut Blu-Ray release, CR may replace the TV edited vids with the Blu-Ray versions.

I wouldn't hold my breath on this. While uncensored versions are the norm for CR catalog titles, I've never known them to go back and replace the broadcast censored version of any simulcast show with any uncensored version at a later date.
Same here, I have to cast doubt on CR ever replacing their TV videos with disc versions. Charger Girl Juuden-chan, for instance, is still the cropped 4:3 TV version. I have to suspect that the Japanese side doesn't want their disc versions on mere ad-supported streaming, either.

TheAncientOne wrote:
Funimation is the only one that I know of that will go back and replace the subtitled version of a show with the uncensored version (after obtaining home video rights, and then only for Elite subscribers).
I guess that's better than nothing, though I haven't been able to confirm it myself -- anything that might test that hypothesis that isn't Elite-only (Rogue Hero, Freezing, OniAi, Maken-ki, High School DxD, We Without Wings) simply isn't loading for me at all. Why people pay for such a broken player and such broken subs (hello thar Nou-Rin) is beyond me.

Quote:
The only way you'll see an uncensored version of such shows at The Anime Network website is if Sentai dubs the show, at which point TAN will obtain that, which of course uncensored.
Granted, maybe we shouldn't feel entitled to the premium home video version on free streaming sites. But discriminating based on people's audio preferences is just plain wrong. Is this possibly a stealth method for Sentai to promote its subtitle script readthroughs?
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:

I guess that's better than nothing, though I haven't been able to confirm it myself -- anything that might test that hypothesis that isn't Elite-only (Rogue Hero, Freezing, OniAi, Maken-ki, High School DxD, We Without Wings) simply isn't loading for me at all. Why people pay for such a broken player and such broken subs (hello thar Nou-Rin) is beyond me.

Personally, I've had no issues with their web player, but I rarely use it since I view Funimation on my Roku.

Unfortunately, it is difficult for me to do side by side comparisons, as the series I can think of that would show substantial censorship are MA rated, which means one has to have an account (to verify age) in order to view. Short of creating a second account, the only way I can check what free viewers would see is to resort to viewing the same episodes on Hulu (which should be the same episodes as someone in the US viewing for free would see on Funimation's own website).

Quote:
Granted, maybe we shouldn't feel entitled to the premium home video version on free streaming sites. But discriminating based on people's audio preferences is just plain wrong. Is this possibly a stealth method for Sentai to promote its subtitle script readthroughs?

Personally, I don't expect they provide the uncensored subs for free, but for paying subscribers is another matter.

That said, they are technically a separate company from Sentai, which in a sense puts them in the same boat as CR. The difference is they would only have to negotiate with Sentai, whereas CR would have to negotiate with each of their individual licensors.
Northlander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:04 am Reply with quote
This streaming isn't as worldwide as the definition of the word would imply, because it's not available in Norway. (Meaning the rest of Scandinavia is also probably being left out of the deal.) So, since "worldwide" isn't a fact, which countries are really getting this show on Crunchy?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4