• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manga eBooks from Tokyopop and Harlequin

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adam Arnold

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:22 pm Reply with quote
They cost $6.39 to download?!

Are they trying to make sure people just buy the print versions? That price point seems waaaay too high. I was thinking a $1.00 tops...
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:45 pm Reply with quote
It's an alternative to the print version. Sony Reader is aimed at a population with income to splurge on electronics imo. Convenience costs money.

I think that your price is too low in this case. Take a look at the eBooks.com site for some more info on pricing.
Successful_Troll

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:06 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
It's an alternative to the print version. Sony Reader is aimed at a population with income to splurge on electronics imo. Convenience costs money.

I think that your price is too low in this case. Take a look at the eBooks.com site for some more info on pricing.

Keep in mind when looking at eBooks that those are mostly books you'd be paying around $30 for in the bookstore, whereas the OEL stuff is only around $10. You'll have to do better then that for me. It's the same reason I never use iTunes, if I can actually buy it for roughly the same price then why would I want to download it from you? A couple of questions: Who actually has a Sony Reader? And Why? Also, who's actually reading OEL stuff?
teferi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Just looks to me like Tokyopop is trying to find a way to try at recouping whatever losses they have on their OEL (I just hope they didn't pay sony for this or at least not that much).

The thing is I've tried the whole ebook thing, and the convenience just isn't worth staring at a screen. I buy manga because I want a print version, it's a collector thing. Having a electronic version just isn't the same.

Heck it's not even good for sampling purposes at this price since you can just walk into borders and the like for free.

The itunes comparison is pretty bad; with itunes at least there's very little difference between the CD and mp3. If someone doesn't want the whole CD they can pick and choose. That's not even possible with manga O_o;;

overall I have to agree that at this price, theres very little incentive even if you can splurge for it.

Quote:
Also, who's actually reading OEL stuff?

Very Happy
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Successful_Troll wrote:

Keep in mind when looking at eBooks that those are mostly books you'd be paying around $30 for in the bookstore, whereas the OEL stuff is only around $10. You'll have to do better then that for me. It's the same reason I never use iTunes, if I can actually buy it for roughly the same price then why would I want to download it from you? A couple of questions: Who actually has a Sony Reader? And Why? Also, who's actually reading OEL stuff?

Also. some of those titles are available in paperback. It's all about convenience. You're not going to haul 80 paperbacks on a vacation, but you can haul a Sony Readeror other similar devices that contain 80 paperbacks in ebook form. Sony Reader ships in mid-November according to its website.

This targets a different population imo, a higher income bracket. Travellers, early adopters or people who use subways etc to travel to work...
Treeloot

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Hot damn, titles I never wanted to buy available online!
tripperdan99

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm not familiar with the Sony Reader, but I imagine is has "digital rights managment" out of the wazu. It's mabe like the cussed microsoft wma files that "if you loose the key, you loose the song" and you can't do anything with it but listen to it for a time.

Nope, like the print. Love to look at the book shelf and see my manga.

((*** WANT THE REPLY BUTTON BACK!! ****))
Successful_Troll

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:31 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
Successful_Troll wrote:

Also. some of those titles are available in paperback. It's all about convenience. You're not going to haul 80 paperbacks on a vacation, but you can haul a Sony Readeror other similar devices that contain 80 paperbacks in ebook form. Sony Reader ships in mid-November according to its website.

This targets a different population imo, a higher income bracket. Travellers, early adopters or people who use subways etc to travel to work...

Yeah, but with my paperbacks I never have to worry if the battery is going to die or wonder why it isn't turning on. I don't know why you'd take the thing on the subway, if something happens to my $8 paperback no big deal but if something happens to this $300 thing... Anime cry
sorvani

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Successful_Troll wrote:
A couple of questions: Who actually has a Sony Reader?
I do. bought it today.

Successful_Troll wrote:
And Why?
because i shattered the screen on my Librie 6 months ago.

hikaru004 wrote:
Sony Reader ships in mid-November according to its website.
Limited stock is available in the brick and mortar sony style stores.

hikaru004 wrote:
Early adoption was 2 years ago when i imported my Librie from Japan.

teferi wrote:
The thing is I've tried the whole ebook thing, and the convenience just isn't worth staring at a screen.
you have obviously never seen a Librie, Reader, or other device that is using the e-ink technology. It is like reading a print manga or newspaper. even in full sun.
tripperdan99

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Wolverine Princess wrote:
Quote:
((*** WANT THE REPLY BUTTON BACK!! ****))

It's still there; it's just at the very bottom of the screen. (I'm not very happy with this, either. What was wrong with it up next to the quote button? That's a much more convenient place for it.)
[/quote]

LOL, guess they changed the function from last month or so because the last time I used it it dumped me into the general forum reply, not the thread.

Thanks for reminding me about it, I'll be sure to try it again.

td99
Successful_Troll

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:27 pm Reply with quote
sorvani wrote:
Successful_Troll wrote:
A couple of questions: Who actually has a Sony Reader?
I do. bought it today.

Successful_Troll wrote:
And Why?
because i shattered the screen on my Librie 6 months ago.

It was more of a general "Why would anyone buy eBooks question?". How many actual paperbacks could you buy for just the price of the reader?
sorvani

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Successful_Troll wrote:
It was more of a general "Why would anyone buy eBooks question?". How many actual paperbacks could you buy for just the price of the reader?
$349 / $6.99 = 49.9 paperbacks.

before i bought my librie, I bought around 20 books a year. Since getting e-books is still iffy, i still buy a number of them, but i get around 10 e-books a year.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1