• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Erica Mendez, Carrie Keranen Star in Kill la Kill's English Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 3:00 pm Reply with quote
So, I don't know if anyone noticed, but....

The audio tracks used in the trailer doesn't seem like it was mixed. They sound like audition lines, so I don't think that the official version will sound like that.

It reminds me of the intro used in the Sailor Moon Stars singles for each character. They sounded pretty plain when they called out their transformation lines or did their attack lines.

I do think that the price is a bit expensive, but it reminds me of the Madoka Blu Ray combo with the soundtrack added to them. The OSTs still are pretty pricey ($30-$40, each, depending on the store). And the OST sold out twice in the US. I'd most likely invest in these because I like the OST and I'm okay with the goodies.

If you feel justified in saying no for the price tag, I don't blame you.

RokugoPeachMoon wrote:

The point is that you have options when it comes to watching the show. If you choose neither because you feel that Aniplex of America owes you the show at whatever price you feel is appropriate, then that is a decision that can only be tied to yourself in terms of fault. No one is entitled to nor has the right to own these shows.

But yeeaaah I agree with that. ^
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 3:06 pm Reply with quote
True, but when every other domestic anime company offers series for price point X (give or take), and here we have Aniplex offering shows for price points 2X or 3X, there's a general expectation that isn't being met, and I think that's more than worthy of complaint. As other people have said, there's nothing particularly inherent in Aniplex's releases that makes them 2 or 3 times superior to other distributor's products, and in fact some of their recent releases have been demonstrably inferior. So what exactly are we paying for here?

Someone earlier in the thread made an analogy to luxury cars that didn't sit quite right with me, and I think I've been able to puzzle out why. When we're talking about anime in general, there's no universal way of holding up show A against show B and declaring one of them as more "valuable" to own, since the "value" in this case derives from whichever show a given individual enjoyed enough to want to own. There are tangible reasons why a Ferrari is a better-manufactured car than a Kia, but those just don't apply to works of entertainment subject to individual subjective opinion. (I'm not saying that one can't look at anime with a critical viewpoint, but those views don't always correlate with what shows a person enjoys watching.) With that in mind, what Aniplex is doing is akin to a car manufacturer creating a certain model of car and charging a certain price for it...except for the red paint option, which has a price double that of any other color. There's nothing inherent about that paint color that should make it any more expensive; it's just an arbitrary mark-up. So if you happen to like red instead of blue, too bad, you're screwed.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 3:23 pm Reply with quote
I don't think we should "expect" prices to be a certain way. Anime prices have always been all over the place, even in Japan.

edit: up until recently I've saw Aniplex prices as being that way because they essentially had repackaged JP discs for NA distribution. They are no longer doing that with the exception of the Monogatari franchise.

The prices are the way they are because they say so. Being one of the biggest publishers (if not THE biggest) they can charge what they want. They found a way to make money from NA and they seem to be sticking with it.
Dfens

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 5:47 pm Reply with quote
What you have to understand Aniplex is a business and if they can get more money for their product why the hell not if people are paying their price and it's working. Your telling me if you owned a business that provided goods or services you would charge less money when people are willing to pay your price just because you want to be nice and or that's what others charge? Yeah right! Everyone wants every single penny they can get whether it's the buyer or the seller.

Just because some people are upset and complain that hey well your competition charges less for a similar product why can't you be in line with their prices? Because they can.

Get it through your guys head if you don't like the price then don't buy it and move on. Their are other titles from other companies who are their to take your money instead vote with your wallet. We all have the freedom to choose what to spend our money on. But not the right to strong arm a company and force them to charge the prices we want to pay because we are entitled to it, because they owe it to us.

All day long at my job I get people who come in with a preconceived notion that it should only cost so much for the services we provide. Sometimes we are more and sometimes less then our competitors, but we charge the current going rate. So if a customer doesn't like my price then they are welcome to go somewhere else or do it themselves and if they screw up it's on them, not me who assumes liability when I take in a job.

My time, experience, and tools are worth money so unless I charge enough for the job at hand it's not worth the risk or liability for a cheap skate customers who wants to take advantage to save a buck.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 6:14 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
The prices are the way they are because they say so. Being one of the biggest publishers (if not THE biggest) they can charge what they want. They found a way to make money from NA and they seem to be sticking with it.

It works because they have the solid gold anime everyone wants a piece of. Charge these prices for your scrap shows and no one bites, i.e. Galaxy Angel Rune and Super Robot Wars for Bandai Visual. Even as great as the Patlabor and Honneamise films were, they're still not the type of thing that people were going to shell out so much for in any kind of workable number.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 6:38 pm Reply with quote
RokugoPeachMoon wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:
Hard core fans will never go along with it, and Aniplex simply does not care. Aniplex is happy to 'milk' the hard core fans of their life blood, over and over until they are dried out husks.

I love how the anti-AOA crowd implies that hardcore fans who buy the releases and have the audacity to disagree with their logic (entitlement) are "dumb, hypnotized sheeple" that desperately need to "wake up and see the error of their behavior".

Talk about being totally full of it......

If I actually meant what you said, wouldn't I be insulting myself. Sounds like you are just parsing a little bit of what I said, and ignoring the rest.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Joe_Sinister1 wrote:
You know i really can't help but notice how Nonon is NOT being voiced by Kari Wahlgren. ( though she's not too bad)
Not to mention Tabitha ST Germain would have been a perfect Satsuki.

Yeah.

Chrno2 wrote:
Wonder what would happen if we had Samuel L. Jackson playing a role. He could be Senketsu. Very Happy Very Happy Laughing Laughing I'm sorry that thought has been plaguing my mind since I read this post yesterday.

LOL Very Happy
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 4:39 am Reply with quote
Joe_Sinister1 wrote:
You know i really can't help but notice how Nonon is NOT being voiced by Kari Wahlgren. ( though she's not too bad)
Not to mention Tabitha ST Germain would have been a perfect Satsuki.

unfortunately with these union/non-union rules ,there is no way both of them would be on the same casting lineup unless miss germain leaves The Ocean Group / Blue Water Studios and goes to new generation or become an independent VA like miss bailey,liam o brien or even mignona.

if that was the only scenario where it would have been she could have been called on to voice satsuki.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
fullmetalgirl21

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 9:21 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen Kill la Kill yet and was looking forward to the dub since I heard it announced, but it's looking like I'll have to go for the sub if I actually want to watch it anytime in the near future.

The funny thing is, I was pleasantly surprised when I saw the price-point on the first release...until I actually paid attention to the details. I assumed it was a 13 (or some such) release, in which case the price would be a nice change of pace from AoA's usual price point.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:07 am Reply with quote
fullmetalgirl21, you've waited this long to watch it. Why not wait a little more to watch the dub?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:25 pm Reply with quote
YotaruVegeta wrote:
fullmetalgirl21, you've waited this long to watch it. Why not wait a little more to watch the dub?

She's saying she doesn't want to pay the kind of money AoA is asking for it.
fullmetalgirl21

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:34 pm Reply with quote
What Tuor_of_Gondolin said.
Plus, who knows how long it'll talk for Aniplex to release it all at this rate.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:26 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
luffypirate85 wrote:

It works because they have the solid gold anime everyone wants a piece of. Charge these prices for your scrap shows and no one bites, i.e. Galaxy Angel Rune and Super Robot Wars for Bandai Visual. Even as great as the Patlabor and Honneamise films were, they're still not the type of thing that people were going to shell out so much for in any kind of workable number.

I've bought every product from.the BVUSA catalog. Aniplex not so much. I still get the Monogatari releases.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10