• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Erica Mendez, Carrie Keranen Star in Kill la Kill's English Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luffypirate

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 1:25 am Reply with quote
May not want to do that. Aniplex is the biggest publisher in the game. 30% of all of the hit anime titles (10k+ sellers) made since 2000 have been theirs. That will cut a huge chunk out of your viewing.
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 1:40 am Reply with quote
I quite like the trailer. The voices seem pretty fitting especially Gamagoori, Satsuki, and Nonon. I'm looking forward to this. I probably will get the cheapest version of the series because that's a lot of money but I would like to own it, for sure. Looking forward to hearing more of the cast.
DigitalFowl

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 1:43 am Reply with quote
Not really impressed by the female lead's voices. Satsuki is close but not quite there completely and Ryuko is missing that growl in her voice I felt was always present in the japanese dub.

But hey, I got to enjoy the ride the first time around and frankly, don't feel a need to take the ride again. I haven't bought anime in a while to be honest because frankly, no show as of late has left an impact on me where I said 'I want to own this and watch it over and over again and share it with my friends and make everyone I know see it'.

Except Katanagatari, that's a purchase I STILL need to make... If ONLY I could get it without that god awful opening from Ali Project and that GLORIOUS opening from Supercell.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 1:46 am Reply with quote
shamisen the great wrote:
Because there aren't really any other options if you want to own the show. I don't like the price, but I will begrudgingly pay it if it is a product I really want like Kill la Kill.

Yes there are. You could always buy a cheap region-free BD player off of Amazon and import the releases from the UK. Even the fancier ones from Anime Limited tend to run about half the price of the domestic AoA releases, and the video quality is just as good. In fact, in the case of both Fate/Zero and SAO, the audio quality for the dub was actually *better* than the AoA releases.
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 1:53 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
$10 per episode on Blu-ray.

Seriously, **** this company so hard.
atleast they aren't charging $100+ for the individual volumes and saying an art book and a lunch box validate the price but still even if they give a store price a lot of people will end up buying online due to lack of stock in local stores due to either region, or lack of interest in the areas, idk I've read good things about this anime plus it looks interesting to me, hell if I can score the indi volumes during amazons holiday sales or random % off sales I might catch it unless aniplex decides to sell a box set
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 1:54 am Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
angieness wrote:

If you don't like the company that's totally fine, but let people spend their money how they want. I don't like Aniplex's prices either, but I still buy the releases from them that I'm interested in as I'm interested in supporting the industry and the creators behind the shows I like.

^THIS. If you liked a series and can afford to do so, why the hell WOULDN'T you support the industry.

I support the industry just fine.... by buying from companies whose products I like and whose prices I can afford.

Just because you refuse to buy from a single company doesn't necessarily mean you're not "supporting the industry". If I don't like the food at Burger King and refuse to eat there, that doesn't mean I'm gonna stop eating at all restaurants altogether.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 1:55 am Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
angieness wrote:

If you don't like the company that's totally fine, but let people spend their money how they want. I don't like Aniplex's prices either, but I still buy the releases from them that I'm interested in as I'm interested in supporting the industry and the creators behind the shows I like.

^THIS. If you liked a series and can afford to do so, why the hell WOULDN'T you support the industry.

I'm fine with supporting an industry when said industry understands how the domestic media market in my country works. The American licensing companies that have survived over here did so by managing to adjust their business models to be more in-line with general television/movie home media releases. Aniplex is essentially reverting things back to the bad old days of the early 2000s and before, and I will never support any company that chooses to do so.

Like penguintruth said, if Aniplex decides to grab their ball and no home, it's no huge loss for me; I'll just grab the fansubs. Or even better, I'll get that region-free player and purchases releases from countries that Aniplex isn't holding hostage.
scriver058

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 1:58 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
why not actively boycott them?

Because it's nowhere near that serious. Boycott something important that makes a difference, not how a company prices an ultimately frivolous product.

People absolutely have the right to comment and be critical of whatever they want including AOA's pricing structure on their releases, but when it's the same people complaining over and over like they didn't know what was coming, the complaining begins to involve violence against dead horses. At least with KLK they gave some slightly less expensive options; a step in the right direction?
luffypirate

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 1:59 am Reply with quote
It is puzzling that Aniplex continues to release their products on Blu-ray with lossy English audio. If it was an honest mistake you'd think that it wouldn't happen again but it did. What gives?
Hellwarden

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:04 am Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
angieness wrote:

I like the series, want to support the industry, but there's nothing reasonable about that price to me, and a lot of anime fans.

I could afford it, I guess, and bankrupt myself in the process.
scriver058

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:06 am Reply with quote
As far as the dub, I'm pleased. I'm used to the deeper Japanese voices of Gamagoori and Senketsu so their english sounds a bit off, but otherwise sounds good enough. Dub Mako I figured to be tricky, but sounds like it's in good hands.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:12 am Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
It is puzzling that Aniplex continues to release their products on Blu-ray with lossy English audio. If it was an honest mistake you'd think that it wouldn't happen again but it did. What gives?

Cost-cutting, methinks. You would think that for a company that charges as much as they do they'd actually give you something that was worth the money, but they've been slowly and surely cutting corners in each of their newer releases while leaving the price at a premium. Vividred didn't have subs for the OP and ED songs, the SAO DVDs had one of the cheapest looking menus I've ever seen, and not only does Silver Spoon lack the postcards/booklets that most of AoA's releases have, but it doesn't even have a slipcover. And they've *never* even bothered to offer full English credit scrolls on any of their releases.

I brought this up to someone else on a different forum, and that person got rather indignant, spouting off "Don't you want Aniplex to save money?" My honest answer? No. Not at those prices. If you're going to charge me such a high amount, then I expect the absolute best that my money can get me. You can't charge me Mercedes-Benz prices if you're gonna use Hyundai parts. Confused

EDIT: In fact, I'm gonna add something right now: Anyone else think it's more than a little pathetic that they upload an ugly 480p trailer for a brand new, beautiful show as this? Can you not even afford an HD trailer anymore, AoA? Rolling Eyes
immblueversion

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:18 am Reply with quote
Damn. I watched it so many times that now I want a whole clip.
immblueversion

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:20 am Reply with quote
scriver058 wrote:
As far as the dub, I'm pleased. I'm used to the deeper Japanese voices of Gamagoori and Senketsu so their english sounds a bit off, but otherwise sounds good enough. Dub Mako I figured to be tricky, but sounds like it's in good hands.

You actually think Patrick Seitz isn't as deep?
normajean19

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:21 am Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
EDIT: In fact, I'm gonna add something right now: Anyone else think it's more than a little pathetic that they upload an ugly 480p trailer for a brand new, beautiful show as this? Can you not even afford an HD trailer anymore, AoA? Rolling Eyes

That was my thought exactly when I went to watch the trailer! I almost didn't even watch it, because I couldn't believe they didn't post it in HD.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10