• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Erica Mendez, Carrie Keranen Star in Kill la Kill's English Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scriver058

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:31 am Reply with quote
immblueversion wrote:
scriver058 wrote:
As far as the dub, I'm pleased. I'm used to the deeper Japanese voices of Gamagoori and Senketsu so their english sounds a bit off, but otherwise sounds good enough. Dub Mako I figured to be tricky, but sounds like it's in good hands.

You actually think Patrick Seitz isn't as deep?

It's deep, but to my ears it ain't quite there with the Japanese voice. Maybe seeing more of the dub will change my mind.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 3:08 am Reply with quote
Gotta get that LE fo shiz
aoi yuuki fanboy

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 3:09 am Reply with quote
starring ash ketchum as matoi ryuuko Laughing
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 3:14 am Reply with quote
I'm not very impressed by this but I think I'll give the first episode a try to see how it goes~
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Marzan

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 4:23 am Reply with quote
Gonna wait for the UK or Australian release. Aniplex's price policy stateside is too much for the likes of me.
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 4:58 am Reply with quote
The English dub sounds a lot better I expected. The only obvious weak point for me is Gamagori (but to be fair, the Japanese voice wasgoing to be very hard to replicate), as well as Satsuki sounding like she doesn't care.

However, Aniplex can do one if they think they can split the series over five volumes. I'll wait to see what Anime Limited's UK release is like.
CeaseActivity

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 5:14 am Reply with quote
I can't watch the trailer, anyone got a video that's not region locked?
SnowWarren

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 5:18 am Reply with quote
Ryu Shoji wrote:
The English dub sounds a lot better I expected. The only obvious weak point for me is Gamagori (but to be fair, the Japanese voice wasgoing to be very hard to replicate), as well as Satsuki sounding like she doesn't care.

However, Aniplex can do one if they think they can split the series over five volumes. I'll wait to see what Anime Limited's UK release is like.

Anime Limited UK have announced their release will be split over 3 parts in late 2014.
Actar

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 5:35 am Reply with quote
Putting aside all the complaining, as a matter of curiosity, how did this different pricing model even come about in the first place? Why are American releases so cheap to begin with?
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 6:15 am Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
Putting aside all the complaining, as a matter of curiosity, how did this different pricing model even come about in the first place? Why are American releases so cheap to begin with?

Because anime TV series will always be compared in terms of price to TV releases for US live-action shows or even cartoons.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 7:07 am Reply with quote
well give line-up as of now for this dub quite mix few regulars known & rising next era voice dub.

mendez give other known magi & now this yea her potential on the rise?

also there cabs, keranen, vincent, mercer, sarah, seitz, todd, etc?

yet with line-up so far give yet reveal got wonder is shake-up changes in califorinia dub roster line-up?
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 7:42 am Reply with quote
I'll give them one thing: Nonon's voice is actually BETTER in the dub. Other than that... Eh, have to wait and see more.
Lynxikat

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 8:44 am Reply with quote
The dub is... eh.

To be fair, the original sub for Kill la Kill is beyond amazing.

Alex Von David is such a hit or miss for me. I liked the dub for SAO, Lucky Star and Haruhi Suzumiya, but the dub for Madoka Magica is just okay. Right now, the only voice that I think is really spot on is Nonon.

Who knows, maybe the dub will get better as the show goes on -- you can't really judge an entire dub solely on the trailer.

Ugh, so the first four episodes are $40? Really? This isn't 2004, where $40 for a 4 episode DVD was common place, I'm pretty sure Kill la Kill is popular enough where they can release at least six episodes at a time and still make a profit. The standard DVD for Attack on Titan is $40 and that has half the series! This is the EXACT same situation with Madoka Magica, where you have four episodes per disc, all around $40, so all together you'll spend $80-$100 on the show, and that's if you get the STANDARD DVD, and what's even worse, is that I bet they won't even release a "complete collection" version of the show after all the DVDs are released -- which is exactly what happened with Madoka Magica.

From now on I'm just gonna cringe whenever I hear that Aniplex licenses an anime that I like -- means that I won't be able to buy it -__-

Lynx Amali wrote:
Meh.
Get the feeling this might end up being another Madoka where the voice direction is either terrible to non existent,

Add to the fact that the price point (even the episode count doesn't add up to the total number of episodes, 5 x 4 = 20) and the general unawareness of their own show (they didn't know about the OVA), I get the feeling they're rushing this out.

Oh yeah, this definitely had to be rushed. I've been noticing that most dubs for popular shows come out about a year or a year and a half after the original premiere of the show. It's been what, two months since Kill la Kill ended and Aniplex is already whipping out a dub? So this had to have been dubbed while the show was still airing back in January or February, or heck, maybe even back in late 2013 when the first half was still airing.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 9:03 am Reply with quote
*exhales breath after finished watching video*

...I liked it.

I wanted a curveball, and Aniplex threw one. Erica Mendez makes a pretty nice sounding Ryuuko. And Casca as Satsuki? Did not see that coming.

Kinda guessed and hoped Squid Girl would play Mako, and I'm glad that notion came through. Good on you Christine. David Vincent could take some getting used to, but Senketsu was a tough character to get right. Heh, completely forgot he needed his own voice over. Funny.

Everyone else seems fair game. Guess time will tell in the long run.

At first I felt the prices seemed pretty fair. I mean, Limited Edition Blu-Ray and DVD for $60 sounds like a fair deal for, say, seven episodes, especially by Aniplex standards.

But then I looked on the website. Episodes 1-4.

Shit.

Fate, I'd barely given a shit about (unless it had Carnival Phantasm). Blue Exorcist, overrated. Even Madoka got tiring after ten flipping AMV's at one con.

But for Kill la Kill? Aniplex got me by the balls. Clamped.
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 9:04 am Reply with quote
Lynxikat wrote:
The dub is... eh.

To be fair, the original sub for Kill la Kill is beyond amazing.

Sums up my thoughts quite well. The Japanese cast was really strong, and their indivual performances were REALLY good, but together they were simply outstanding.

It's gonna be hard to touch the greatness of the original, but i'll be checking it out.

And depending on what Anime Limited includes I may get their release instead. The wait is painful, but I know they'll only bring high quality stuff. Recently AoA have been going a bit cheap on their physical properties... Not even a booklet for this one Sad. I'm wondering if the art box will even be a proper box, or just flimsy slipcase paper...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10