• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Erica Mendez, Carrie Keranen Star in Kill la Kill's English Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sango chan

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 9:10 am Reply with quote
The dub is Tolerable. I was afraid what Ryoko was going to sound like, but she's ok. Satsuki is ok, but meh at the same time..she's lacking that commanding voice. Nonon kinda sounds like the japanese actress a bit. Everyone else was ok, except Senketsu. He doesn't fit at all. Why did they even pick Johnny for him in the first place. Senketsu should have a deeper voice then what he was given.

I'm not thrilled that they are pulling the 5 volume crap instead of 2 boxsets, but the DVD's are affordable enough. I liked the show, and we all know they are Never going to make a Boxset or drop the Price.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 9:33 am Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:

Kinda guessed and hoped Squid Girl would play Mako, and I'm glad that notion came through. Good on you Christine.

That is, by far, going to be the most challenging role she'll be voicing compared to her other roles. I wonder if she'll be able to keep up her crazy fast-talking spastic personality and BE funny at the same.
Deoxy360

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 9:42 am Reply with quote
I'm excited to own a home release of this. If Madman or any Australian anime licensing company gets it, I'll gladly pick it up. I don't know if we will get the over pricey set. I was hoping it would be in the 12/13 episode DVD set, but I guess not.

The cast I like, I'm not complaining. I'll wait until I see a full episode or two.
ZeArNkN

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 9:52 am Reply with quote
Are Steve Cannon and Steve Staley the same person? Their voices sound very alike.
Lynxikat

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 9:52 am Reply with quote
Sango chan wrote:

I liked the show, and we all know they are Never going to make a Boxset or drop the Price.

Prices aside, that's got to be the absolute worst thing about Aniplex. (Well, that and the whole "release imported sub first, THEN release the DVDs with the dub and sub a la Fate/Zero and now the Madoka Magica films). They pull the whole four to five episodes a disc on us, and then they don't ever offer us a completed series set later.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 10:15 am Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to this. I'm a big fan of some of these VAs and I thought the trailer did a good job of showcasing what we have to look forward to.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 10:20 am Reply with quote
ZeArNkN wrote:
Are Steve Cannon and Steve Staley the same person? Their voices sound very alike.

I think they are.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 10:51 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
ZeArNkN wrote:

I think they are.
They are. Steve Cannon is even listed as an alias on Steve Staley's page.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 11:13 am Reply with quote
Well sounds great but the price is just way to high just for 4eps
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 11:15 am Reply with quote
Well, I have to admit that the dub cast is pretty good. But I'd still prefer if they had gotten a little more bass in Senketsu's voice. But not bad. I definitely need to revisit this series again. It seems so quiet now that the show is over.

Well, I guess my job will have no choice but to spend the $60 price tag since a instructor requested it. So as soon as we get the preorder link we'll put in our order for next semester.
Second Fire Shadow

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 11:26 am Reply with quote
The dub for Kill La Kill, the sound like it'll be awes-

*Watches video*

Well the dub certainly is... a mixed bag. To say the least. Some of the voices fit pretty well (Ira, Houka, Ryuko, Aikuro) but others sound out-of-tune (Mako, Senketsu, Satsuki).

Overall I think I'll still consider this for a day one pur-

*Reads the prices*

I'm sorry but, I'm out. $50 for 4 episodes on Blu-Ray!? This is why Anime is a Niche market. How can the average consumer get invested in an anime that asks them to fork over at least $30-40 for just 4 episodes of a show? Especially when you can buy seasons worth of Western Animated or Live Action TV shows which are better than Kill La Kill for the same price or even cheaper.

Oh well, Aniplex are gonna be Aniplex...
insert name here

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 11:35 am Reply with quote
I gotta say that this sounds way better than I expected it to. I didn't think this would translate very well into English given the way that it was written, but it seems to match up pretty well.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
Putting aside all the complaining, as a matter of curiosity, how did this different pricing model even come about in the first place? Why are American releases so cheap to begin with?

Very good question. I think it has to do with consumers being spoiled by the unsustainable pricing of the "bubble burst". Aniplex is reverting back to a proven profit turning method and people are just not having it.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Another series that I liked and wouldn't mind owning, but won't -- not at that price. And considering PMMM's pricing hasn't budged since it was released, it looks like I'll never own it.

If people want to support AoA's pricing policy by buying their products at these price points, that's their business (and their money), but I refuse to do so.

I'm just glad my enjoyment of the show dipped some near the end, otherwise I'd be more upset than I am at not getting this. As it is, while it's annoying, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Nah, not feeling this dub.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10