• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Umineko When They Cry Episode 3: Banquet of the Golden Witch Volume 2 GN 6

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Etrien

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Late reply, but...

ralphmerridew wrote:
Etrien's probably referring to a Krauss scene.

Indeed he is!

einhorn303 wrote:
JR-1 wrote:
ralphmerridew wrote:
Etrien's probably referring to a Krauss scene.

Oh yeah, that IS incredibly stupid. Though by that point I already embraced the "stupid anime-ism" of Umineko so it seems that it didn't leave much impression with me as with Etrien. Perhaps also because I've read the work it's referencing: Otokojuku and its 'outlandishly stupid trying to sound logical' fights.

I'd say it also serves a clever role in the narrative by making people realize that spoiler[Episodes 1-4, and on, are fiction written by a human author.]

Exactly! (Spoilers for EP4) spoiler[The scenes with Jessica and George, despite being highly fantastical, were still within the realm of "anime norms" - IE, something that could be "happening" because anime and anime-related storytelling likes to do that kind of thing. The Krauss scene takes that concept and runs wild with it to the point where the author is pretty much telling us - "Look. Look how stupid this is. There absolutely no way that what you're reading right now is "actually happening" - so what does that imply for the other scenes?" It's still a matter of showing rather than telling - he doesn't TELL us we're following a fictionalized account, but shows us through an absurdly ridiculous example.] It was, imo, a great piece of instructional storytelling and possibly my favorite scene in EP4, and it wasn't even in the anime. :'(
Mr. Dent

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:08 pm Reply with quote
I always viewed the Chiesters as purposely clashing with the setting. It's Evatrice taking over and making a mockery of Battler and Beato's game.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2