• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Attack on Titan Tops Graphic Novels in U.S. Bookstores in May

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:42 am Reply with quote
seems daft that amazon sales don't get counted, i mean not that my purchases count for anything being english but i buy the majority of my manga through amazon because there's not much in the way of alternatives.
Second Fire Shadow

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:25 am Reply with quote
Attack On Titan is really taking America by storm. It really seems like its becoming the next Naruto in terms of popularity.

It would be awesome if it could reach Dragon Ball Z level popularity in the US but I doubt it will ever considering there are only roughly 80 chapters left before the story ends.

But who knows... Wink
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:49 am Reply with quote
Second Fire Shadow wrote:
Attack On Titan is really taking America by storm. It really seems like its becoming the next Naruto in terms of popularity.

It would be awesome if it could reach Dragon Ball Z level popularity in the US but I doubt it will ever considering there are only roughly 80 chapters left before the story ends.

But who knows... Wink

With it being released monthly, that's over 7.5 years left and I doubt the creator plans on making it run that long. Where did you get that there's 80 chapters left?

Last edited by Kadmos1 on Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:06 am; edited 1 time in total
konqueror

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:05 am Reply with quote
The so-called "anime effect" in America.
Polycell

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:53 am Reply with quote
RAmmsoldat wrote:
seems daft that amazon sales don't get counted
I'm pretty sure this is Amazon's decision.
Second Fire Shadow

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Second Fire Shadow wrote:

But who knows... Wink

With it being released monthly, that's over 7.5 years left and I doubt the creator plans on making it run that long. Where did you get that there's 80 chapters left?

My mistake, the Hajime Isayama stated he plans on ending the manga within 20 volumes, so in actuality, we only have about 24 left before the manga ends.

Calculations:
Every volume of attack on titan has 4 chapters.

6 (Number of volumes supposedly reaming) x 4 = 24[/url]
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this is impressive. I just hope the author will be able to end it in a way that will satisfy fans. I think this might be the first time I've seen a comic that at first glance (while I didn't expect it to be impressive) turned out to be a successful gem. It's really living up to it's hype. I'm very much looking forward to reading the last two available vols. And then I'm going to go in a corner and cry that there isn't any more to read until fall and next year. It's just not enough! Laughing
Mr_42

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Wow, this is impressive. I just hope the author will be able to end it in a way that will satisfy fans. I think this might be the first time I've seen a comic that at first glance (while I didn't expect it to be impressive) turned out to be a successful gem. It's really living up to it's hype. I'm very much looking forward to reading the last two available vols. And then I'm going to go in a corner and cry that there isn't any more to read until fall and next year. It's just not enough! Laughing

He'd better end it well. He's already on record as having admitted to changing his original ending specifically to appease the fans so it would be unfortunate if he didn't manage it.
Personally I don't really like his art style much so I prefer the more polished anime representations of the characters. His grotesque style works well on the titans but it makes his human characters just look bizarre and at times i can't tell which character is which.
So, all in all I enjoyed the series but i won't cry for to long (5 mins max) when it ends.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:17 pm Reply with quote
RAmmsoldat wrote:

seems daft that amazon sales don't get counted, i mean not that my purchases count for anything being english but i buy the majority of my manga through amazon because there's not much in the way of alternatives.

Not sure that Amazon is not counted since the ICv2 source points out:

• The reasons for the absence of any of Marvel titles from the Top 20, we suspect, was Amazon's targeting of Marvel as a Hachette distribution client in early May (see "Marvel, Yen Caught in Amazon-Hachette Crossfire"). Both the Captain America and X-Men titles were being offered by Amazon with two to five week delays when we checked. Although Marvel was eventually exempted from Amazon's anti-Hachette tactics (see "Amazon-Marvel Truce?"), the weeks the titles were largely unavailable through the online giant may have been enough to drop them out of the Top 20.

Now why would Amazon matter if Amazon is not counted?
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Mr_42 wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:

He'd better end it well. He's already on record as having admitted to changing his original ending specifically to appease the fans so it would be unfortunate if he didn't manage it.
Personally I don't really like his art style much so I prefer the more polished anime representations of the characters. His grotesque style works well on the titans but it makes his human characters just look bizarre and at times i can't tell which character is which.
So, all in all I enjoyed the series but i won't cry for to long (5 mins max) when it ends.

I can agree, but I've gotten used to it now. Well, at least it isn't the Elfen Lied manga. Laughing Laughing But yeah, I've heard about the changes. It would be interesting if he did a side book releasing a manga of the "what might have been".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1