• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Princess Nine DVD Complete Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gordok

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:47 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Wait, wait, wait: Was I supposed to take Princess Nine serious as a sports anime? I've seen arguments about how silly Girls Und Panzer's "national tournament" was, but this team and its attempt to be taken serious - not as a team but as competition against regular teams playing for several years, fully experienced coaches and such...

Yeah, it is anime, so taking it "seriously" is a risk . . .

But in the premise/context of the story, the (relatively many) boys teams were competing with each other for (male) players at a local (school) level. Chances are no one team would get all the best ones.

In contrast, there is only one girl's baseball team in all of Japan, so it could pull in all the best (female) players found nation-wide. Plus, their (male) coach was experienced, and most of the girls had at least played softball.

Hence, the girls team could be a very credible threat for winning at Koshien. Wink
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:43 am Reply with quote
gordok wrote:
Plus, their (male) coach was experienced, and most of the girls had at least played softball.:

Actually, of the 10 girls who play during the series, Yoko, Nene, Izumi, Mao and Seira all have never played baseball or softball. So half of the team has never played ball, 3 come from softball and 2 come from baseball. Razz
patrickdrazen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:15 am Reply with quote
Quote:
half of the team has never played ball, 3 come from softball and 2 come from baseball. Razz

And, frankly, one of the softballers has the best backstory in my opinion, which we don't even get until the series is almost over. Yuki was an MVP softballer who was a victim of bullying by her teammates and callous disregard by her parents, pushed to suicide, and goes through most of the series in a catatonic trance. Anyone who keeps up with Japan in general or shoujo manga in particular knows this kind of thing happens--although probably not with a space alien. But the plot is as much about the backstories as about the run for the championship. And a bonus: Ryo's mother is voiced by none other than Sumi Shimamoto, who voiced Ginrei in "Giant Robo", Kyoko the landlady in "Mezon Ikkoku", Clarisse in "Castle of Cagliostro" and Nausicaa!
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:12 am Reply with quote
The reviewer is far too harsh on the boyfriend character. He has helped pull Ryo through a lot and he IS a childhood friend to another.

He's not 'perfect' in the sense that there's no way he'd be able to satisfy both girls and he is still a rival to both girls.

Some cheesiness here and there aside, it's definitely a masterful piece of storytelling. I just wish it had a second season to really flesh out all the relationships and more baseball action.

The music was outright majestic as well.
gordok

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:14 pm Reply with quote
The ADV soundtrack had an inside jacket that (partly) translated the director's comments on the show. That part indicated the second season was planned, but the show did not get renewed.

Not a lot of details provided, but it did reveal spoiler[that the girl's team did get to play at Koshien in that season; it did not say if they won there or not.].

Alas, there was a major problem with the jacket, in that one of the jacket pages was a copy of the other. Clearly there were more comments made (and probably translated), but ADV did not catch the error when they published it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3