• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 6 Obscure Anime Series Lost in Time

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Droggie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:58 am Reply with quote
KENZICHI wrote:
Kimiko_0 wrote:
How about Corrector Yui? Only 18 of 52 eps. were released on DVD by Viz. They're not impossible to find (although overpriced because out of print), but there are no fansubs either, so you'll have to learn Japanese to watch the whole series.

I remember seeing trailers of this show back in the day! I'm on youtube though and they have all the episodes in-I think Spanish or Latin? It's not subbed though, but at least there's another language you can learn to watch it lol.

I guess I'm lucky I saw all the episodes in the latinamerican ver. of Cartoon Network Very Happy
It ended up being a bit shoujo-ai lol
Anton Chigurh

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:38 am Reply with quote
I remember Hana no Ko Lunlun. I saw some episodes in Spanish when it was being shown in a Peruvian channel, more than 15 years ago. Although unmistakably a "girls' show", I remember the episode where it looked as if the protagonist had found the flower McGuffin but it turned out to be a normal flower under a sparkly crystal. There's a bit where, convinced her quest is finally over, she sheds tears - I want to say out of joy, but I'm not convinced. I can swear the show meant to convey more emotions through that single scene, it was that well done. I still find that resonant, much more so than the sappy ending with everyone, including the series-long villain, becoming friends forever and ever.
Kimiko_0 wrote:
How about Corrector Yui? Only 18 of 52 eps. were released on DVD by Viz. They're not impossible to find (although overpriced because out of print), but there are no fansubs either, so you'll have to learn Japanese to watch the whole series.

Speaking of Spanish dubs, I read somewhere that CORRECTOR YUI aired in the Spanish Cartoon Network - I personally have never seen one second of footage from that show Maybe they did manage to air the entire show? It could resemble the case with the Spanish dub of SAILOR MOON, which managed to go the entire series, even through the controversial final season.
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:19 am Reply with quote
Yeah, this list clearly hit the mark for me...haven't heard of any from the list.

As for the new poll, Inuyasha gets my vote. Only because the anime for that one is the only one I've seen. Late nights on Cartoon Network, Inuyasha was on for awhile here in Australia.

Unfortunately, I probably only caught somewhere between 20-30 episodes and may not end up seeing the whole thing...Final Act is coming out in July through Madman...and I'd have to spend about $350 for the TV series (as I doubt I'd really watch such a long running series online, would end up putting it off).

One day...

On the old poll, I wonder what percentage of the 36.1% go for scanlations. I'd guess it'd be the majority? I find that not many manga/LN series are licensed when compared to the amount of anime series that air in a given season.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:25 am Reply with quote
I had a tough time choosing my favorite Takahashi title too. I ended up going with Maison Ikkoku because the ending made me cry. She really has quite an impressive range of work.

I had only heard of one of the obscure titles, so the list was extra fun to read.

The article mentions Anime Sols. Does anyone know if Anime Sols is going to publish any more titles? (I want to make it clear that I really appreciate what they have done so far.) I think they're done with all of their goals? It would be fun to see some of these titles get a chance.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:45 am Reply with quote
If only the World Masterpiece Theater titles were more here popular to have each English dubbed version (Even those for the Asian markets) on DVD/BD boxsets.
INS Division 6
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Awwwww man Pennsylvania in 1838. Sign me up.
AsherFischell

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:48 pm Reply with quote
I found four errors in the article.

Quote:
Saru, who like his namesake is reminiscent of a monkey, has honed his golf skills by practicing in the countryside with homemade club.

Should be, "a homemade club."

Quote:
The title of this anime ring a bell for you or anyone else familiar with American Folk music.

Needs, "might" or "may."

Quote:
Was historical fiction considered unpalatable for U.S. kids because it didn't stop Little House on the Prairie from taking off.

"Was historical fiction considered unpalatable for U.S. Kids? If it was, that didn't stop Little House on the Prairie from taking off."

Quote:
Yatterman proved unsuccessful among fans when it was up for funding on Anime Sols so prospects are likely lower for the even less well known Zenderman.

Needs a comma before, "so."
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:56 pm Reply with quote
@AsherFischell: Thanks for being very very observent on the grammar mistake. Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jymmy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:42 pm Reply with quote
While you're on grammar mistakes, though, AsherFischell:

AsherFischell wrote:
AsherFischell wrote:
Needs, "might" or "may."
AsherFischell wrote:

None of these commas are necessary. Commas introduce dialogue in quotation marks, not just any old quotation. You're putting commas between verbs and their objects. You shouldn't do, that.

(I do agree that it's irritating to see sloppy writing on this site, though.)
AsherFischell

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:14 pm Reply with quote
@jymmy

Haha, oops. That's irony for you. Thanks, though. I couldn't remember if I needed to use commas, so I just guessed.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:07 am Reply with quote
AsherFischell wrote:
I found four errors in the article.

Quote:
Saru, who like his namesake is reminiscent of a monkey, has honed his golf skills by practicing in the countryside with homemade club.

Quote:
The title of this anime ring a bell for you or anyone else familiar with American Folk music.

Needs, "might" or "may."

Quote:
Was historical fiction considered unpalatable for U.S. kids because it didn't stop Little House on the Prairie from taking off.

"Was historical fiction considered unpalatable for U.S. Kids? If it was, that didn't stop Little House on the Prairie from taking off."

Quote:
Yatterman proved unsuccessful among fans when it was up for funding on Anime Sols so prospects are likely lower for the even less well known Zenderman.

Fixed the two actual typos.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:47 am Reply with quote
I've heard of pro golfer Saru. Some of the older anime publications from the 80's featured this show as well as other programs and features from that time. I can mention a few that I do recall

Lovely Jun Can't find any images for this but it's floating around YT on Japanese channels. But it's a show about a little girl with her robot colorful robots that friends with a older guy who owns an motorcycle. MAL doesn't even have this title listed that's how old it is.

Kabocha Wine Nothing like big gals and little guys.

Wolf Guy I picked part of this series up years ago when the internet was new, pirates would buy imports, and selling copies through a mail-order service. I never saw anymore of this series. It's a lycanthrope story.

Toki no Tabibito -Time Stranger- Not to be confused with the Go Shogun's Time Stranger -Entranger-.

Kōsoku Denjin Albegas We all know the story of where this was supposed to go, yet it never happened and we got a toy brought forth this ideal that there were 3 (numbered) Voltrons but sadly no program with deceptive continuity.

There was one movie I saw years ago about a boy that finds a baby dragon. The designs were by Akira Toriyama but don't know what the title is.

Well, Lensmen could be considered lost in time because no one is releasing that one.
jymmy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:32 pm Reply with quote
AsherFischell wrote:
@jymmy

Haha, oops. That's irony for you. Thanks, though.

No problem. Always ready to be a pedant. (Actually, I spotted another seven-odd mistakes in the article, but I think I'll leave it.)
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:39 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:

Fixed the two actual typos.

Thanks!!! Mr. Green
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3