• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 1st Attack on Titan Compilation Film's Teaser Streamed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:25 am Reply with quote
If it has some new footage that actually expands on the series, count me in. But if not, I could just rewatch the series again.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:46 am Reply with quote
Cyclone1993 wrote:
If it has some new footage that actually expands on the series, count me in. But if not, I could just rewatch the series again.

Maybe that's what the "new dubbing" is for? I can't imagine why you'd need to call the actors in again if they're just saying the same lines again (unless there was some SERIOUS backlash to a particular scene or something). But yeah, I can pretty much see this turning into the AoT version of the first two Madoka movies. :/
Nemui_Nezumi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:38 am Reply with quote
*says in unison*
"tatakae...tatakae, Tatakae, TATAKAE!!!"

aww man, I can't help but feel all fired up each time I hear the OST!

I don't care if it's only a recap movie with absolutely no new footage in it, I'll watch it anyways and enjoy it! (even if it's only for the new dubbing and remastered sound or simply because of that OST, I really can't get enough of that soundtrack lol)
dannphou

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:02 am Reply with quote
Was that not new footage at the end of the trailer?
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:37 am Reply with quote
I'm watching this in hopes that it will be more brief than the series. Which is likely because naturally due to the running time of a film compared to 13 episodes, it will have to shorten a lot of scenes or cut some out altogether. And I can see that helping the series actually. Some parts dragged on (in an attempt not to catch up with the manga I believe) but this should make it a much more streamlined experience. Plus, I just enjoy watching movies because I'm able to watch them in one sitting without feeling like a zombie afterward! Smile
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:04 pm Reply with quote
dannphou wrote:
Was that not new footage at the end of the trailer?

I don't think so. I think that it's like, footage from episode 8 or 9, I forget.
Mr_42

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm not often a fan of these rehashed series-into-film attempts. I didn't much like it when the Ghost in the Shell SAC Movies dropped as I prefer the depth that the series could go into.

Similarly the Death Note Relight movie/series attempts were (to be frank) absolute $#*t.

Things like these are for collectors, completionists, people who take pleasure/pride in collecting the merchandise for their chosen franchise(s). Everyone else will just watch (and hopefully buy) the series box-sets and get the full experience from there, rather than try and take in theconcentrated and pinholed blast that comes from such a compilation film.
Greg Aubry

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Mr_42 wrote:
Things like these are for collectors, completionists, people who take pleasure/pride in collecting the merchandise for their chosen franchise(s).

Most of the time, I'd agree with this (especially in case of SAC). For Attack on Titan, however, I'm going to disagree. The series has so many lulls in the pacing that I think compilation movies will actually smooth it out and make it more watchable than the show.
Mr_42

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Greg Aubry wrote:
Mr_42 wrote:
Things like these are for collectors, completionists, people who take pleasure/pride in collecting the merchandise for their chosen franchise(s).

Most of the time, I'd agree with this (especially in case of SAC). For Attack on Titan, however, I'm going to disagree. The series has so many lulls in the pacing that I think compilation movies will actually smooth it out and make it more watchable than the show.

Not gonna lie, I had not thought of that. I would argue that the only real reason that AoT is popular is because of the anime and its stunning action sequences rather than the slow character "development"Wink so I can now see the compilation movie doing quite well as, as you say, it removes the weaker parts.
Greg Aubry

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:09 pm Reply with quote
It really hit me when I started re-watching the show as its dub started to air; a lot of the character drama is very tedious and by-rote, especially when you've already seen where it's going. Streamlining that and getting on with the plot would be very welcome.
grooven

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:38 pm Reply with quote
I have a feeling we may see some universal screenings.
Mr_42

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Greg Aubry wrote:
Mr_42 wrote:

Not gonna lie, I had not thought of that. I would argue that the only real reason that AoT is popular is because of the anime and its stunning action sequences rather than the slow character "development"Wink so I can now see the compilation movie doing quite well as, as you say, it removes the weaker parts.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1