• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Say Yes to A Dress

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:28 pm Reply with quote
zensunni hit the nail right on the head. She/he seems to fully understand Yuuki. You really have to be able to put yourself in his shoes before calling him possessive. Especially, after spoiler[the part where Kaori acted exactly the same way when he was with other girls]
unitmikey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:29 pm Reply with quote
The E7 movie is pretty good, but a missed opportunity. I might be bias as my favorite character from the series is not only completely different (as they all are) but she is barely in it. I feel the movie was too safe as well, because ultimately they could have went crazy with this film because it has no real connection to the TV series in terms of plot or characters (or world for that matter).

I had heard some of the mild buzz about OWF, but after reading your review, this show just seems fairly bland and now I doubt that I will watch it. Thanks for the heads up!
piebaker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:34 pm Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
invalidname wrote:
Quote:
That's it for this week. Next week, I'll talk your ear off about sports anime, so brace yourselves.

If that means more Yowamushi Pedal, you go right ahead.

Perhaps that or Haikyuu!!?

Excited to possibly read something about Haikyuu!! and Ping Pong. I imagine I'd be excited about reading something for YowaPeda as well but I haven't come around to watching it yet (for shame!).
Hellwarden

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:05 pm Reply with quote
I know One Week Friends is a well made show, with a somewhat dark take, untypical of the genre, but...

...I nearly fell asleep during the first and second episode, and haven't gone back since. I might run it all at once, but as well made as it seemed, something about the show, I agree, seems off.

I don't know.

Also if you're gonna talk about sports anime, you need to talk about Ping Pong, because it's the best sports anime in years.

It really is.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:44 pm Reply with quote
I applaud the E7 movie for trying a new story, instead of the usual making it a condensed version of the series. Unfortunately I didn't particularly like the new story. The only part I really liked is the ending credits song.
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:24 am Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:
Barbobot wrote:
The almost possessive nature of Yuuki in One Week Friends didn't bother me too much, until some of the things he said in episode 10. spoiler[His reaction to Kaori's step backwards in her condition rubbed me the wrong way. I understand getting depressed, but then he essentially goes on to say "But, all my hard work...". All YOUR hard work? What about Kaori's hard work since she's the one actually dealing with the memory problems.]

I am still not that bothered by the neo-possessiveness displayed by Yuuki. I see it more as a sign of his lack of maturity and an incredible self-esteem deficiency than anything that has the potential to be malicious.

-snip-

I agree with all that you've said when it comes to Yuuki. Especially with the work he is putting in. I'd assume that it'd be hard when everything you experience with a person could, on their part, be so easily wiped away while they remain so important to you.

As teens, I'm sure many of us would've gone/are going through events where it feels like something happens and it's the end of the world. Yuuki clearly wants to be more than friends, and major set backs may make things seem like they'll "never" progress.

Thatguy3331 wrote:
I'll agree that something about this show feels a tad off but I don't think it's just Yuuki's possessiveness. As much as a flaw as it can be I think it's more one for him to grow out of as apposed to it being a true negative, though it can be a bit unsettling to watch at times.

I agree with this. I don't really find it gets to the point of unsettling me, but I do find it awkward.

We're also seeing a teen who, for what seems like the first time, has taken action on his feelings for a girl...and it just so happens he ends up with someone that forgets him every Monday.

I feel like Yuuki would be undertaking a large amount of emotional burden, that it shouldn't be surprising to see him act a little off when it comes to trying to handle the situation. Made more difficult as he doesn't really have anyone that can offer much in terms of helping beyond lending an ear.

I'm obviously a fan of the series, but I'm currently a few episodes behind. So, there are things that have been mentioned that I can't touch without seeing them happen first hand.

Onto the "Shelf Obsessed" section...holy crap! Laughing

Admittedly, I don't have heaps of stuff...but I may just get around to taking some pics and sharing my humble collection.

Last edited by Ali07 on Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:34 am; edited 3 times in total
Msag

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:27 am Reply with quote
Regarding what everybody is saying about the off-ness of OWF, isn't it that there just isn't enough meat to the show? It feels so isolated and insular because its about these two characters mainly, who in of themselves don't have very strong personality traits besides being "nice". And probably because 9 episodes in and they're still struggling to remain friends, that too with such an implausible premise as an obstacle. I agree, the first episode is pleasant to watch and charming, but the effect wears off when you feel the series is going nowhere and the stakes aren't getting that higher.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:47 am Reply with quote
Ah dammit. I really thought that you'd be reviewing Amnesia this week, Bamboo. I never thought to connect One Week Friends to the amnesiacs bit.

I think that zenussi hit the nail on the head in regards to Yuuki. I never really thought that Yuuki was that possessive if I'm honest. He's a teenager in love (and probably for the first time too) and some of his dickish behaviour stem from his insecurities, which was particularly bad in regards to spoiler[Kaori remembering Shougo but not him.] That was also the only time that I thought that he was being unnecessarily harsh towards Kaori.

Last edited by Ortensia1980 on Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:49 am; edited 2 times in total
SaneSavantElla

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:24 am Reply with quote
Barbobot wrote:
The almost possessive nature of Yuuki in One Week Friends didn't bother me too much, until some of the things he said in episode 10. spoiler[His reaction to Kaori's step backwards in her condition rubbed me the wrong way. I understand getting depressed, but then he essentially goes on to say "But, all my hard work...". All YOUR hard work? What about Kaori's hard work since she's the one actually dealing with the memory problems.]

To be fair, in the audio he doesn't say 'all my hard work'... more literally and stiffly it's something like 'everything that's been worked on'. Nihongo can be pretty vague. Confused
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:23 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Some of the lines are just awkward and clunky, like Renton's attempts to cheer up Eureka inside the Nirvash with a cheesy, "Look, no hands!" That's great, Renton.

I love these reviews.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:05 pm Reply with quote
I'm really enjoying One Week Friends. I can understand some people being put off by instances of Yuuki's jealousy, but I think they are important for a couple of reasons. First, without them, there would literally be no conflict in the story and second, his jealousy is a very human failing. I'm old as the hills but I still remember the the bitter sting of an (unrequited) high school crush seeming to talk about a guy a lot who wasn't me.

I worry that someone reading Bamboo's review and reading some of the other comments might get the wrong idea about Yuuki. He is indisputably a nice guy and to tag him as "possessive" I think is misleading. Especially since in the anime romance context, that particular trait can be rendered very ugly, indeed, and we are pretty far away from that territory, here.

As for the show itself, it's one of those deals where not everyone is going to like it, but those who do like it will probably REALLY like it.
melmouth

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Ali07 said:

Quote:
We're also seeing a teen who, for what seems like the first time, has taken action on his feelings for a girl...and it just so happens he ends up with someone that forgets him every Monday.

I feel like Yuuki would be undertaking a large amount of emotional burden, that it shouldn't be surprising to see him act a little off when it comes to trying to handle the situation. Made more difficult as he doesn't really have anyone that can offer much in terms of helping beyond lending an ear.

I agree. This young man is in hella difficult spot. In accordance with conventions of Japanese media, he's supposed to formerly declare his attraction to the young lady. And, also in accordance with those conventions, he's depicted as scared to do so lest he lose her company entirely -- with the result that he puts the declaration off. Add to that the fact that she has no experience of love (because she has almost no experience of friends!), and he has even more reason to put it off.

But his affection for and attraction to her still grows -- making possessiveness inevitable. No guy short of some kind of saint would fail to feel and act as he does in this unusual situation.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:31 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I worry that someone reading Bamboo's review and reading some of the other comments might get the wrong idea about Yuuki. He is indisputably a nice guy and to tag him as "possessive" I think is misleading. Especially since in the anime romance context, that particular trait can be rendered very ugly, indeed, and we are pretty far away from that territory, here.

I've gotta agree with this. If anything, I think Yuuki's "jealousy" is just there to prove that he IS attracted to Kaori. (ie. wants to be more than friends) He gets jealous of her making friends with other people, and then does... what? answer spoiler[not a damn thing besides impotently whining about it (in Shougo's case, directly to the guy in question)]
hsapin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:38 am Reply with quote
I agree with the idea that the whole possessive jealousy that Yuuki has is more of something to grow out of as the show progresses and One Week Friends has already been leaning in that direction.

I am really enjoying the show, but I feel like the worst part about it is some of the suspension of disbelief some of the major conflicts require.

Either way, I think that the show is pretty great and it's one of the favorites of the season. It just really doesn't have any major jarring flaws.
Half Life

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:56 am Reply with quote
Ah suspension of disbelief -- something hard to come by in a show where there are no giant robots, super-powered harems, mystical warriors, sentient clothes, man-eating giants or deadly virtual reality video games.

On the topic of jealousy -- the reviewer seems a bit over reactionary to this... as far as I can see he has never done anything more than occasionally whine. At worst you could claim he has a selfish heart. However that would mean you are ignoring the fact that he puts up with quite a bit more than anybody else was willing to before he appeared -- so I think the slight selfishness is more than leveled out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3