• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Pile of Shame - Guyver: Out of Control

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Oh gawd, I was going to add this to the last column titled 6 anime features lost to time.

I have never seen this film AT ALL. I remember it fondly from old anime magazines that I have at home. I even remember my years in HS where some people who had access to getting copies or seeing the film through video rental or anime clubs. No one ever brought this film to any of the anime clubs in NYC. Even friends of mine, I never got around to asking them and they had access to it for years. But as years go by you move on to something else. This was definitely on my list to see but to this day I've never had the chance. Even with the new Guyver OVA I remember folks asking about the older one. But it's never been released on DVD. And according to the info I didn't even know US Renditions had released it. Guyver is kind of like Silent Mobius. You saw the new one but somehow the old one exists somewhere in time. And while the updated version is an improvement over the old, you still want to see it or own it as a collector would.

I hope that one day I may have the chance to see it. Yep, seems those days had quite a bit of "deep throating" and it wasn't even a "hentai' film.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Guyver: Out of Control feels very much like a schlocky 80s American direct-to-video movie.

Even for how close those two can get, a well remastered anime on BD will actually come out looking brand spanking new and spectacular where you can even appreciate the art during the stills, pans, and scans, but the DTV 80s gore fest will still look like shit and probably worse considering the makeup and effects become more blatantly visible. Then again, if it's DTV, it's probably shot on video.

For Guyver itself, it may be a landmark in "guy ends up in some kind of power armor, organic or not" but it's not even close to my favorite. BAOH, and MADOX were always way more enjoyable, as well as that one dude from Battle Royal High School.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:58 pm Reply with quote
I remember downloading this back in the day when I used Kazaa and Morpheus. Good times.

I still remember it quite fondly. Pretty sure I was 12 or so when I saw it, so naturally that tentacle scene blew my little mind Laughing
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:41 am Reply with quote
I'm sorry guys. My only exposure to the "Guyver" franchise are the two American movies I saw some years ago. To me,I think they would make a great series here in the States. What do you guys think?
unitmikey

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:58 am Reply with quote
80's cheese? Leotards? I'm there!

(until I saw that the VHS used on amazon is forty dollars) Sad
wamp wamp
Kicksville

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:17 am Reply with quote
Looks like the prices are almost back to where they used to be, then. Dropped like a rock at one point - I figure when more people actually saw it and then wanted to get rid of it. :B

The start and middle bits have their merits, but be prepared for a disappointing aftertaste: the budget very visibly evaporates in the final act, and as if to twist the knife, the entire (lame) last fight is looped back almost in full to pad it out. Only it's all in red this time. It's pathetic.

...I'm still keeping my tape though.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:45 am Reply with quote
Attn: misspelling

Murder, She wrote:

(and antoher Guyver, herself)
Pylgrim

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:55 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Attn: misspelling

Murder, She wrote:

(and antoher Guyver, herself)

Also,

Quote:
a bionoic weapon of destruction. And he's OUT OF CONTROL. A short time later, he's back to normal. But his girlfriend his injured,
chao8971

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:00 pm Reply with quote
I've been wanting to check this out, I got into Guyver pretty recently myself when I found the other Guyver OVA, released by Manga, used for about 8 bucks. Pretty good watch I think, just simple minded action with a crazy plot
truanifan678

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Oh man. Guyver. I love and hate it. XP I enjoy the series, but I hate how only parts of the story have been released in either English or through animation adaptions. Guyver has been around for what seems like forever to me. I kind of wish they'd pick up where the 2005/2006 series left off, but I doubt that'll happen.

The 2 live action movies were pretty decent. I liked the second one a bit more than the first. Unfortunately, the second film on dvd is super expensive right now. X/ And a random tidbit; rumor has it those involved with the 2 live action Guyver movies wanted to do a third, but things didn't come together fast enough and interest was lost. Or so I heard. I personally think they should make a reboot movie. imho anyway.

This particular oav was only ever released officially on vhs. If you ever find a dvd of it it's likely a fanmade disc made from a fansub or a bootleg. There's no point in buying the vhs since (a) it's way over priced and (b) you can find it all over youtube since it's an anime long ignored by companies. It was released on laserdisc in Japan so the chances of a slightly higher quality video than vhs exist. I'm not going to get into the fansubs since this isn't the place for that. XP

I found the Guyver: Out of Control ova to be rather dippy until close to the ending where the two Guyvers fight. It didn't really come together in my opinion until then. It's fun to watch for the sake of watching an old ova, but not something that's a masterpiece. :/

Ahh, nostalgia. This anime was long before my childhood days of anime watching. I went digging around for it after I started watching the Guyver tv series released by Funimation. I'm a sucker for old, odd anime. XP

Thanks for reminding me this existed.
Battle Cossack

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Pretty sure "HOMO" was not meant as a slur or innuendo, but possibly a misinterpretation of the word "homogenized" (ie mixed, since the fat in milk can settle).
GVman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:39 pm Reply with quote
I love the beginning of this because it has one of the most beautifully-animated scenes of a mosterman getting his arms ripped off I've ever seen. Apart from that, it was a pretty fun thing for me to watch on my laptop while the power was out a few years ago.

The scene where his friends get sniped also stands out to me because of how sudden it was. I'd say this is worth watching, if only for the this scene and the aforementioned arm scene.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:07 pm Reply with quote
I agree with the reviewer. I actually own this thing, it was worth the money i paided for it. I was actually disappointed with its retake series of Guyver. It wasn't as much fun to watch in comparison to this thing. Its not for everyone, but its good enough for me!

Dated or not.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Same here truanifan678 have huge nostalgia for Guyver, also for me the OVA series was one of my first anime along with like Robotech and Akira.

Love the heck out of this franchise and would love it if they ever adapted beyond where they've gotten in the two anime series.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:55 am Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
I'm sorry guys. My only exposure to the "Guyver" franchise are the two American movies I saw some years ago. To me,I think they would make a great series here in the States. What do you guys think?

well i liked both movies though most people liked the first one cause david hayter (aka solid snake / naked snake ) was the main star.

regardless both this series and the 2005 version ( which was more faithful towards the manga ) was preety decent though this one is more of a cult fav. especially after manga ent dubbed the OVA series. the only flaw for this series is that unfortunately its one of the animes just like ninga scroll , mad bull 34 and devilman gave anime a very infamous rep of being ultraviolent during the 90's.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2