• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Live-Action Korean & Taiwanese Adaptations of Manga You Might Not Know About

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mangaka-chan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, I can still hear the opening theme song of the Taiwanese Meteor Garden drama playing in my head. That show was everywhere on US Asian TV channels back in the early 2000s.
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:25 pm Reply with quote
The Japanese live-action Hana-Kimi is hilarious. The rest are on my to-watch list.
Sana_chan5

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:39 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
The Japanese live-action Hana-Kimi is hilarious. The rest are on my to-watch list.

Agreed! (Though, I still haven't finished it.. I've been holding off on the last few eps for.. years lol)

The Zettai Kareshi japanese live action was really good and probably one of my favorites. I also enjoyed the japanese Hana Yori Dango live-action (and just to comment.. even just the picture for the english version makes it look like it'd be terrible).

I just finished watching Itzaura na Kiss: Love in Tokyo the other day. I really liked it at first, but then about halfway through, I had to skip some episodes (or fast forward) because Kotoko's stupidity/flakiness just got to be too much for me. spoiler[Seriously, she joined the tennis club and doesnt even know how to frickin hold a racket!]
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:40 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:

It is one of my favorite dramas!

I had NO idea there's a US version of Boys Over Flowers. I've watched all the other adaptions. The only reason I knew about the Taiwanese version of Absolute Boyfriend is because Gu Hye Sun stars in it lol.

Hayate the Combat Butler though, REALLY!?

Another Taiwanese adaption I'm sure barely anyone knows about is for Honey and Clover. I searched a long time to find that version online years ago, but could never find it. I should try to look again, but I doubt it'll be around now. I love the Japanese version though. I wouldn't mind a Korean version either!
Evil Hero

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:18 pm Reply with quote
am I wierd or crazy?? if im saying that i watched everything that this article mentioned yes all the versions of these series
I am not joking around here people this is serios
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Thanks ANN for making the article about the K-drama and Taiwanese drama adaptations, Also some of these dramas are avaliable on Dramafever.

BTW:

The Skip beat Taiwanese drama is coming to Dramafever. The same for Hayate the Combat Butler. If you have Dramafever, might want to sign up for an email notification.

Also I want to give you an update about the Korean drama adaptation of Nodame Cantabile. It's been announced and confirmed that Joo Won will take the role of the male main character. Nothing so far for the female lead, but I hope Seohyun of Girls Generation/SNSD can take the leading role, Seohyun can played the piano very well and I'm not making this up:

video 1

video 2

Seohyun has done good acting in drama (ie: Passionate Love) and musical. Seohyun is the only one I know who could pull it off giving her acting and her exceptional piano playing skill.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:25 pm Reply with quote
KENZICHI wrote:

Hayate the Combat Butler though, REALLY!?

I can't even imagine what that adaptation would be like considering how the original series has a lot of male otaku trappings on it. It makes me wonder if they hired a lot of Taiwanese female actresses for that series or got rid a lot of the female characters originally in the manga.
katscradle

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Neat article! But, this list makes me miss the Asian TV stations I used to have access to. Crying or Very sad I rarely stream anything. Still it's good to know there are those options out there too. I need to track down one of the live-action Antique adaptations.

One of my favorites that isn't on the list is the Taiwanese version of MARS from Fuyumi Soryo's manga. I can't believe the TV series is 10 years old now!

I saw some of the Korean Master of Study but, could never get into it.

I've seen a couple of City Hunter.

The 2009 Boy's Over Flowers was pretty good. (I remember people went ridiculously crazy over the guys cast as the F4 though.) But, then I never got very far in reading the manga so I don't know how it matches. I saw one of the Japanese movies too I think.
CatzCradle

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Ooh! Did not know Kimi wa Petto had any drama adapations *adds to-watch list* xD
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:25 pm Reply with quote
katscradle wrote:
Neat article! But, this list makes me miss the Asian TV stations I used to have access to. Crying or Very sad I rarely stream anything. Still it's good to know there are those options out there too. I need to track down one of the live-action Antique adaptations.

There still some channel but from Asia like Arirang TV, and KBS World. These 2 channels broadcast K-dramas. Also what I like about Arirang TV and KBS World is that they have their own Youtube channel:

Arirang TV Youtube channel

KBS World Youtube channel

and KBS World does upload some of their dramas and variety shows on there which I really love the most about South Korea (I wish Japan's NHK World could upload their show on Youtube). I wish more Asian channel like Hong Kong's TVB, Taiwan's TTV could have a "world channel" so I can watch both HK dramas and Taiwanese dramas despite Dramafever is starting to pick up more dramas from these 2 areas.

Quote:
One of my favorites that isn't on the list is the Taiwanese version of MARS from Fuyumi Soryo's manga. I can't believe the TV series is 10 years old now!

I wish Dramafever could pick this up (that and Devil beside you)!!! I mean DF was able to get It started with a Kiss, and They Kiss Again. They shouldn't have any problem picking up Mars. I would love that manga and the Taiwanese drama to maybe get a K-drama adaptation since 2 Taiwanese dramas are getting K-drama remakes. I mean I would love to hear a Korean remake of this song for the K-drama remake. Krystal of F(x) would fit Kira and I think Minho of SHINee could play Rei for the remake, that would be interesting to see. I would like Devil beside you to get a remake with Suzy of Miss A, or Go Ara to play Kayano. Takeru should be play by BTOB's Minhyuk for the remake.

Quote:
I saw one of the Japanese movies too I think.

Do you mean the 1995 version or Hana Yori Dango Final.

Last edited by mdo7 on Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Well, if we're going the Taiwanese route, then I'm going to talk about Peach Girl.

Vaness Wu stared as Ah Li (Kairi).

Uhm, I don't really have much to say, it was a 10 episode series (?) And while it adapted to the manga well, they also made their own changes, especially towards the end. It was a bit slow paced, but I liked it a lot.
shiranehito

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:50 pm Reply with quote
The title of this article is "Live-Action Korean & Taiwanese Adaptations of Manga You Might Not Know About", but seriously, I'm not even a drama fan but I've already heard about all the dramas mentioned here. Consider changing the title to "Live-Action Korean & Taiwanese Adaptations of Manga You Probably Already Know"? Laughing

I think probably THIS you might not know about.
This manga Jin was adapted as Japanese TV series and Korean TV series
But again I don't think anyone here have even heard of the original source.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:29 pm Reply with quote
shiranehito wrote:
The title of this article is "Live-Action Korean & Taiwanese Adaptations of Manga You Might Not Know About", but seriously, I'm not even a drama fan but I've already heard about all the dramas mentioned here. Consider changing the title to "Live-Action Korean & Taiwanese Adaptations of Manga You Probably Already Know"? Laughing

Well not everybody on ANN are big Asian dramas fan, for one reason I'm glad ANN has written this article. I'll say this if manga into drama adaptation, then Taiwanese dramas and Korean dramas may not have found an audience in the US (well that, and South Korea's aggressive marketing played a role). We might not have Dramafever and Entertainment Weekly might not have wrote these 2 articles about K-dramas:

Korean dramas on Hulu: Why I'm addicted

Korean dramas: A beginner's guide

Quote:
I think probably THIS you might not know about.
This manga Jin was adapted as Japanese TV series and Korean TV series
But again I don't think anyone here have even heard of the original source.

No ANN has reported on Dr. Jin before.
KZK

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:40 pm Reply with quote
How could the article writer leave off the Taiwanese Peach Girl? Weak.

[quote="tygerchickchibi"]Uhm, I don't really have much to say, it was a 10 episode series(?)[/quote]

13 Episodes.

They made some significant changes in the adaptation, and it has an alternate ending (it was made before Ueda finished the manga). Still, pretty good.

Now I just wish some fansub group would find a copy of J-Drama Happy Mania..
Cerceaux

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:07 pm Reply with quote
I've seen Master of Study and the Korean Boys Over Flowers. Boys Over Flowers was great; I enjoyed the drama more than the anime or manga (partly because I find the art really ugly and dated). Master of Study was pretty bland though.
I love the Kimi wa Pet manga but I'm hesitant to watch the Korean movie because it looks kind of dumb and shallow and I just can't see Jang Keun Suk as Momo. Might check out the J-drama at some point though.

katscradle wrote:
One of my favorites that isn't on the list is the Taiwanese version of MARS from Fuyumi Soryo's manga.
I remember watching that years ago on the International Channel or something.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3