• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - In Between Cups

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:15 am Reply with quote
EyeOfPain wrote:
Student no.0 wrote:
I'm still pretty surprised no one's picked up HxH for a dubbed home-video release. I'd have hoped it would be on Adult Swim eventually too.

I'm guessing not too many companies are as willing to jump on a constantly running kids show as they were when Bleach and Naruto were licensed. It might have a better chance if Bleach, Naruto, and One Piece weren't all being released on DVD at the same time.

As of the Chimera Ant arc, it seems as though Madhouse has let go of trying to sell HxH as a 'kids show' though, seeing as they let go of the hunter dictionary, and 'Chibi Gon and Killua' segments. And who can blame them? Just watch the arc.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:25 am Reply with quote
EyeOfPain wrote:
Raikuro wrote:
Not sure why people try to justify HxH getting the shaft by saying it would have to compete with the already established "Big 3" when stuff like Fairy Tail, Toriko and even Phi Brain or Magi have no trouble getting pushed out with dubs.

Phi Brain focuses on "puzzles," Toriko has quirky food adventures, and so far, Magi has aired in 26 episode chunks.

While I've heard good things about HxH, maybe it doesn't seem to be far enough outside the typical shounen to compete against those other shows that have already been running for years and have established fanbases. Or maybe Viz just hasn't made up their minds.

I'd disagree. By this point, Hunter X Hunter is pretty incomparable with any of the series you mentioned. I don't mean that derisively; every series has its own strengths. I mean that morally and tonally, it's incomparable. Hunter X Hunter doesn't really cling to any one genre. It's essentially a platform for Yoshihiro Togashi to play psychological mind games centered around an ensemble of complex characters as they tackle questions of morality and nature, while exploring the implications behind a number of tropes, as Mike mentioned, not the least of which being Shonen Jump tropes.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:42 am Reply with quote
RE: Attack on Titan, I live in a small (by the standards of the US) town in Ireland. In the last few months alone I've seen three people walking around in Attack On Titan hoodies. This is the first time I've seen anime merchandise in public since kids were going to school with Dragonball Z backpacks.

It's certainly not the huge maintstream hit that pokemon was, but it's got far, far more public recognition than anything in recent memory.
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:46 am Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
I'd disagree. By this point, Hunter X Hunter is pretty incomparable with any of the series you mentioned. I don't mean that derisively; every series has its own strengths. I mean that morally and tonally, it's incomparable. Hunter X Hunter doesn't really cling to any one genre. It's essentially a platform for Yoshihiro Togashi to play psychological mind games centered around an ensemble of complex characters as they tackle questions of morality and nature, while exploring the implications behind a number of tropes, as Mike mentioned, not the least of which being Shonen Jump tropes.

I'm not saying it's not. I'm saying, "Would the American/Adult Swim viewing public see it as something different from what they're already watching, or just more of the same after just a few weeks/months on the air?"
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:29 am Reply with quote
EyeOfPain wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:

I'm not saying it's not. I'm saying, "Would the American/Adult Swim viewing public see it as something different from what they're already watching, or just more of the same after just a few weeks/months on the air?"

I think they would, especially as it goes on. It supplies a lot of meat per episode to chew on.
irishninja

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:51 am Reply with quote
I watch a lot more anime than I did four years ago, when I was in a lull. The rise of streaming, especially Crunchyroll, definitely helps. I still don't watch as much as perhaps I would like, but I am definitely more into the hobby than I was when the last World Cup rolled around.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:50 am Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
Should I be happy I got a complete set of Bandai Entertainment's release of Gurren Lagann before they closed up shop?

Yes, you should be happy. I was just about to warn Mike Toole about the Aniplex USA's Gurren Lagann DVD set. I bought it and realized that they used the same masters from the Bandai Entertaining Anime Legends set, including its technical problems (DVD 2 from my set is faulty).
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:02 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Fronzel wrote:
Should I be happy I got a complete set of Bandai Entertainment's release of Gurren Lagann before they closed up shop?

Yes, you should be happy. I was just about to warn Mike Toole about the Aniplex USA's Gurren Lagann DVD set. I bought it and realized that they used the same masters from the Bandai Entertaining Anime Legends set, including its technical problems (DVD 2 from my set is faulty).

Jesus Christ... I would be absolutely pissed.

For the World Cup, I honestly don't care. I just never was big into sports, and America isn't big on soccer, so I know nothing about what's going on. I played it a bit when I was younger and had enough fun, but I couldn't tell you about a single team.

As far as my viewing habits, I never watch things weekly. I like to view art as a whole, so I usually watch something in big chunks; make a weekend out of a series. This last year was really rough, so I honestly didn't watch much of anything, and when I did I couldn't enjoy it, but I'm getting back into watching and playing stuff again. It's kinda exponential. It's definitely slower than when I was devouring series after series a few years ago, but I'm actually watching again.
Hotura

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:39 am Reply with quote
On the subject of Hunter x Hunter (2011), I really do wish this came over to the states. It does have potential as a fan favorite for a shounen series. For a long running shounen it has held my interest unlike most shounen series. Since the Chimera Ant arc it took a complete 180 and acted more like a seinen than shounen. I really don't think the violence will be edited from the series going stateside we are not in the 90s anymore and there are far more violent shows on TV.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:26 am Reply with quote
I would love to see HXH over here.

I suspect it is Viz that holds the license. I'm guessing that they will push JoJo over HXH on Toonami, though, since they have sent a press release about the license and all. The age of the protags on HXH probably make them nervous, and figure that JoJo would have greater appeal to the Toonami audience because of that.

Again, these are just guesses on my part. I adore both series about equally.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:20 am Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
I would love to see HXH over here.

I suspect it is Viz that holds the license. I'm guessing that they will push JoJo over HXH on Toonami, though, since they have sent a press release about the license and all. The age of the protags on HXH probably make them nervous, and figure that JoJo would have greater appeal to the Toonami audience because of that.

Again, these are just guesses on my part. I adore both series about equally.

Gon is the same age as Naruto so age would not be a problem.
GVman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:51 pm Reply with quote
I'd say I've watched more anime since 2010, if only because I've become something of a bigger fan since then. My junior college years saw a huge spike in my viewing habits because I had more free time even with a part-time job. Plus, I had something of a disposable income that let me start buying more and more anime and manga. The past two years have probably seen me watch less stuff though; I was at big boy college for that time, and I wasn't able to watch as much anime, though my manga habits probably remained somewhat consistent since I felt it wasn't as time-consuming. 2011 was probably my peak year as far as anime goes.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Hunter X Hunter always reminds me of the original Dragonball TV series. Which I always prefered over DBZ.

It would be nice to see HxH on Toonami.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3