• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Eureka Seven: Good Night,​ Sleep Tight,​ Young Lovers BD+DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:27 am Reply with quote
Eureka Seven is my favorite anime, and I have to agree, the movie is just okay. Not great, and not awful. But it does grow on you the more times you watch it, not unlike a lot of heady mecha series.

I think one of the things about the ending that is most interesting is spoiler[how Eureka loses the ability to speak. It harkens back to the Little Mermaid, and how when she came to the surface she loses her voice.] I've always thought that was a nice touch.

All in all the film is still worth the time if you've seen the series, but is in no way a suitable replacement for the series.
unitmikey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:21 pm Reply with quote
This is an excellently written review. I will go to my gave saying that Eureka 7 is better than most people give it credit for, but that is excluding this movie. I don't feel like it has much of that lasting impression. It's the kind of movie you forget about about an hour after you watch it.

Cyclone1993 wrote:

I think one of the things about the ending that is most interesting is spoiler[how Eureka loses the ability to speak. It harkens back to the Little Mermaid, and how when she came to the surface she loses her voice.] I've always thought that was a nice touch.

Ah, I never thought about it that way before! That makes the ending a little cooler now in my opinion.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:57 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed the film, I thought it was a good spin on the Gekkostate characters and the emotions of the characters had me hooked throughout the film... I guess I am one of those fans mentioned in the review; E7 can do very little wrong for me Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:03 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed the movie, but yeah it's not the best.

This is a nicely written review. One with really clever wording where you can't just skim through it and get the picture. I agree with all of it though (as far as I can remember since it's been awhile).
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:46 pm Reply with quote
unitmikey wrote:
This is an excellently written review. I will go to my gave saying that Eureka 7 is better than most people give it credit for, but that is excluding this movie. I don't feel like it has much of that lasting impression. It's the kind of movie you forget about about an hour after you watch it.

Cyclone1993 wrote:

Ah, I never thought about it that way before! That makes the ending a little cooler now in my opinion.

but i definitely wouldnt have given the dub a C+. definitely a B- or B considering that funi could have easily have used their own cast in AO instead of brining back Bandai's Bang Zoom cast.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:13 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
unitmikey wrote:

Cyclone1993 wrote:

but i definitely wouldnt have given the dub a C+. definitely a B- or B considering that funi could have easily have used their own cast in AO instead of brining back Bandai's Bang Zoom cast.

But that would have cost a lot more money for a series that was already finished. It wouldn't make sense to re-dub it. If they didn't redub the first season of Shakugan no Shana despite the fact they used their own cast for the second and third seasons, they wouldn't redub a show or movie, that has no need of one.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:23 am Reply with quote
The movie was originally released by Bandai Entertainment; FUNi had nothing to do with its dub either way.
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:51 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
The movie was originally released by Bandai Entertainment

Ironically, I was at an HMV a few days ago and found both the Bandai DVD and the Funimation DVD of this movie.

I'm tempted to watch this now, as I've always felt that the series dragged and I was getting bored in the second half.
ajh2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:50 am Reply with quote
What makes the movie a let down, is that the movie is a cut up version of the TV show. Mute the sound and watch the movie scenes. Many scenes are edited scene of the TV show with slightly changed dialogue which is why it ends up being less than the some of its parts. Although the ending was fantastic.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:11 am Reply with quote
Cyclone1993 wrote:
jr0904 wrote:
unitmikey wrote:

Cyclone1993 wrote:

But that would have cost a lot more money for a series that was already finished. It wouldn't make sense to re-dub it. If they didn't redub the first season of Shakugan no Shana despite the fact they used their own cast for the second and third seasons, they wouldn't redub a show or movie, that has no need of one.

that i didn't know. i though the movie didn't had the chance to get dubbed cause bandai went six feet under that year. and it was at the same time it was being released with eng subs in theaters for limited viewing. if bandai already did the dub then of course your right about doing a new one that have already been done.

however for shakuguan no shana is another story. personally they should have kept the ocean studios dub from season 1 for the other three. it definitely didn't sound right at all. especially when it comes to some of the support casting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:22 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen this yet but I don't have very high expectations. That being said I do plan on watching it soon.

Is it at least better than AO?
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:48 pm Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
I haven't seen this yet but I don't have very high expectations. That being said I do plan on watching it soon.

Is it at least better than AO?

Well that all depends on what you thought of AO. I found AO to be an interesting take on parental love in a world that never got fleshed out fully enough, and ended up giving it an 8. Then in that case the AO would be better.

But if you dislike AO, then the movie is better, simple as that.
Suena

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Cyclone1993 wrote:

But if you dislike AO, then the movie is better, simple as that.

But if you dislike AO, wouldn't that be because it goes way off the track of what we're familiar with from the original series? In that case, I'd think you'd loath the movie.

I actually did like AO - not as much as the original, but it still enjoyable. The movie was pure baloney. I'm sure I could find better AU fanfics online.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1