• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Reviews 7 Days A Week

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
biliano

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:45 pm Reply with quote
I already read a couple of Carl's reviews and I love his writing style; very clean and articulate. I can't wait to read what Melissa Harper has under her belt.

Congrats to Carl and Melissa on your new jobs. Best of luck to you both. Cool
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:13 pm Reply with quote
More reviews are always welcome, as are the people who write them. Congratulations Carl and Melissa! I hope that you're reviews will be as well-written as those by Theron "Key" Martin.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:01 pm Reply with quote
This is cool. I hope now that you have a full review staff you will send them some old-school titles every now and again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
This is cool. I hope now that you have a full review staff you will send them some old-school titles every now and again.

We're working with whatever gets sent to us. If old-school titles get sent to us, they'll get reviewed. I don't have a huge back catalog of older stuff, though.
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:19 pm Reply with quote
All hail ANN. The review service is essentially the site's most important part anyway.

The new reviews are pretty good.
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:34 pm Reply with quote
This is great. One of the only suggestions I had in the recent user survey was that it would be nice for ANN to have more comprehensive coverage with their reviews. The reviews that are here are great, and the review staff does a wonderful job, but lots of titles either couldn't be covered or could only be reviewed in part.

I'm sure the plans for this were in the works long before the user survey, and I'm well aware my single opinion carries little weight, but it's still nice when something I was hoping for ANN to do actually ends up happening. I'll be looking forward to these new reviews and the assistance they will give me in deciding how to even further drain my bank account through anime purchases.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:31 pm Reply with quote
7 days a week, I'll really have to catch up on my reading. And congrats to the newcomers!
El Oso

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:42 pm Reply with quote
ManOfRust wrote:
I'm sure the plans for this were in the works long before the user survey, and I'm well aware my single opinion carries little weight, but it's still nice when something I was hoping for ANN to do actually ends up happening.

Well, you're not alone! I also commented that it would be nice too see more reviews on this site. This is good news indeed!
JoshuaStChristopher

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Very good, guys. I think this is an excellent feature, as I prefer your reviews to that of other sites. I like Anime on DVD for the actual DVD aspect of it, but I'm just going to be honest, I find their reviews to be very "middle-of-the-road".

Last edited by JoshuaStChristopher on Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Yay, more reviews. Congrats to the new reviewers.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:09 am Reply with quote
biliano wrote:
I already read a couple of Carl's reviews and I love his writing style; very clean and articulate. I can't wait to read what Melissa Harper has under her belt.

Congrats to Carl and Melissa on your new jobs. Best of luck to you both. Cool
Hmm, I'd say "up her sleeve" rather than "under her belt," but either way, I'm looking forward to seeing a new review to post about every night when I get home from work (usually about 11:15 Central, so right after the review goes up). From the reviews of Carl's that I've read, they're right in line with the high standards I've come to expect from this site, and entertaining as well~
Papuwa 1 Review wrote:
*he problem with Papuwa is that there is nothing beneath that sauce. Without the meat, all the audience can do is keep on drinking that damn sauce until they do what anyone who is forced to eat nothing but condiments would do. They gag.
*It's not a great dub, but then, that generally requires a great show.
Anyway, the "new review every day" had been hinted at by Zac and Tempest on other threads IIRC, but it's nice to see it formally in action now.
indrik

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:25 am Reply with quote
In regards to the old school titles, I can understand why the site would review what comes to them, especially in terms of using the resources (ie, reviewers) they have to pay.

But at the risk of looking like an abject idiot (don't worry, I'm used to it) doesn't it say someplace that they'll look at reviews that come in unsolicited? Couldn't somebody with a VCR and some literary skill review whatever they thought needed to be reviewed and potentially get it put up? If all you old-school fans reviewed what you had, the problem would probably be largely taken care of. Well, assuming all the old school fans can write a little bit, anyway.

As always, could be wrong, don't take my word for it.
halochief_90

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:29 am Reply with quote
Can't say I'll be able to keep up with them now, but I won't have to wait for reviews either.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:46 am Reply with quote
First things first....Congrats to the new staff. Secondly wasn't there something similar to this last year? Meaning where there would be a new review everyday, but then again maybe that was only for a week or so.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:06 am Reply with quote
indrik wrote:
In regards to the old school titles, I can understand why the site would review what comes to them, especially in terms of using the resources (ie, reviewers) they have to pay.

But at the risk of looking like an abject idiot (don't worry, I'm used to it) doesn't it say someplace that they'll look at reviews that come in unsolicited? Couldn't somebody with a VCR and some literary skill review whatever they thought needed to be reviewed and potentially get it put up? If all you old-school fans reviewed what you had, the problem would probably be largely taken care of. Well, assuming all the old school fans can write a little bit, anyway.

As always, could be wrong, don't take my word for it.

I'll always look at whatever submitted reviews come in but my standards for what I'll publish are pretty high, and to be honest, I reject 99.8 percent of what comes in. Very, very rarely do we publish anything by anyone who isn't already on the reviews staff.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2