• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Manga for a middle school library?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tamaria

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:55 am Reply with quote
I dunno, I read that kind of stuff all the time when I was that age. Besides, tons of children are allowed to play games like GTA and Call of Duty. I can't imagine Detective Conan's/Case Closed's content being a problem compared to that.
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:44 am Reply with quote
It's not about what some parents may or may not allow their children to play/watch/read it's what the general populace will accept for children. While individuals may allow that kind of stuff for kids, the general populace believes that graphic violence is inappropriate for children, especially those in the 11-14 age range (which is general middle school age).
Tamaria

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:29 am Reply with quote
True, Case Closed isn't that bad. 10-14 Year olds is basically what the series it aimed at in Japan and in many countries it's considered a series suitable for younger readers, because while it may be violent at times (often just a page or two per case and not anything worse you see in other many shonen series) the series is all about solving the murders and thus putting a stop to the violence.

And isn't it rated T? Worst case scenario, you restrict it to grade 7/8 and up.
Lynxikat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:27 pm Reply with quote
I'd recommend a lot of what everyone else recommended, and I've also included some others no one have mentioned yet:

Sailor Moon (12 Volumes)
Magic Knight Rayearth (6 Volumes)
Here I Am (2 Omnibus Volumes)
Puella Magi Madoka Magica (3 Volumes)
Buso Renkin (10 Volumes)
Fullmetal Alchemist (27 Volumes)(Although I'd recommend the 3-in-1 volumes if you want to save money)

Naruto's definitely appropriate for middle schoolers, but because of its length (There's 65 volumes out right now in English), I don't know exactly how much many volumes you'd be able to obtain. I'd recommend InuYasha too, but it's also incredibly long (56 volumes).

Case Closed has a similar problem in terms of length, and it's also a bit violent. That said, the really violent portions of the manga are really every other volume or so, and while I personally think it's appropriate for middle schoolers (Heck, that's when I first read it), I think the middle school would have a problem with the violence.

I'm hesitant to recommend Vampire Knight because of some incest themes that pop up later in the series, and both Cardcaptor Sakura & Loveless have a a 20-something year old having a relationship with a 10-year old. With CS, it's a very minor part of the story, but it's very heavily implied and sex is a theme with the whole "cat ears if you're a virgin" being a part of the story.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2