• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Exclusive Premiere: Dragonball Z Battle of the Gods Trailer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deacon Blues

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Oh how this sounds nothing like the DBZ of Toonami lore. Funny how time hurts things lol
Son-kun

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:19 am Reply with quote
Being more a fan of the manga, I really liked this film. It's one of the better DB films I've seen. It has most of the elements from early Dragon Ball spoiler[with some nice plot threads in the end that serve as a basis for possible future installments. It genuinely felt like a Toriyama creation. Perhaps Yuusuke Watanabe will have more creative control if Toei ever decides to make a sequel?] I definitely think the lack of action will derail a lot of the excitement for English dub fans seeing this film for the first time.
TonyTonyChopper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:33 am Reply with quote
Thank you so much funimation for not giving a damn about me ... while i will still buy your god damn movie ...
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:30 am Reply with quote
TonyTonyChopper wrote:
Thank you so much funimation for not giving a damn about me ... while i will still buy your god damn movie ...
What did Funimation do?
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:42 am Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
Wow. Some of those backgrounds looked awful.

not to me. most of them looks similar to One Piece: Strong World. besides, the animation is a lot better than when dbz first came about which was all the way in the 90's.

Also i have a nasty feeling that this super sayian god form is the talked about super sayian 5 that was mentioned in dragon ball gt. but considering that the gt series was technically a filler series and that akira himself is personally involved in the movie you might call it a psuedo cannon storyline.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
BringBackUzume

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:49 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:

not to me. most of them looks similar to One Piece: Strong World. besides, the animation is a lot better than when dbz first came about which was all the way in the 90's.

Also i have a nasty feeling that this super sayian god form is the talked about super sayian 5 that was mentioned in dragon ball gt. but considering that the gt series was technically a filler series and that akira himself is personally involved in the movie you might call it a psuedo cannon storyline.

Since when was Super Saiyan 5 mentioned in GT? They had Super Saiyan 4 and that's it.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:51 pm Reply with quote
BringBackUzume wrote:
jr0904 wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:

Since when was Super Saiyan 5 mentioned in GT? They had Super Saiyan 4 and that's it.

I'm glad you were able to psychically mind-read which backgrounds I was critiquing and why.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:59 pm Reply with quote
BringBackUzume wrote:

I know that. I am a uber DBZ fanatic too. it only had up to SS4 on GT.

However, there was a mention about possibly reaching to SS5.

that episode during the shadow dragons arc bulma did mention to vegetta that her blots wave amplifier might be able to get him to a SS5 one day though as we all know it never happened. he only reach to SS4 during the shadow dragon arc though you would have known about the talk those two had about the possibility of SS5 if you had watched all the episodes of the entire shadow dragon arc.

Also considering that the whole GT arc is filler and not cannon material but the movie might be psuedo cannon since akira is personally involved, there is a high change the super sayian god form might be the infamous SS5 which at that time had every dragon ball fourm and gallery picturing on what a SS5 would look like when GT was still showing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dxdlover

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:15 am Reply with quote
Look alot like vegeta?? Like the hair and everything. Idk but deff looks like him to me haha
TonyTonyChopper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:41 am Reply with quote
shamisen the great wrote:
TonyTonyChopper wrote:
What did Funimation do?
Maybe that i can't even wacht it Mad
Ghostless

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:34 pm Reply with quote
I didn't watch the "battle of god" or z or whatever movie. Looks like I didn't miss a lot. a purple sorta rabbit for main villain ? lol.
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Ghostless wrote:
I didn't watch the "battle of god" or z or whatever movie. Looks like I didn't miss a lot. a purple sorta rabbit for main villain ? lol.

And...that's...any more hilariously absurd than a race of space barbarians named after vegetables, a galactic space-lizard named after something you put groceries in, or a big pink bubblegum monster that destroys the Earth? Also, he's based on an Egyptian cat, not a rabbit.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
thelastgogeta

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:52 pm Reply with quote
I hear that this is an extended version of the movie from before, but I can't really be hyped for a movie where is a blatant and dumb attempt decades late to extend the series.

I appreciate more comedy and enjoyed the event anime which introduced Tarble, but given that the fights were bland and the transformation made no sense (it isn't the colour or that it doesn't match my SSJ4/5/9001 fantasy, it can be summed up in 3 words: "spoiler[Baby SSJ Pan]).

It is probably my least liked movie of the bunch (not that I've watched the others recently) primarily as it had a standard to live up to. Most other movies just had to provide noise and eyecandy, this one had to be consistent with the original story and continue that beyond.

I'm not allowed to watch the trailer again, so I'll find something else to occupy my time... Maybe I'll give the AB Groupe dub of Strongest Guy in the World a try.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3