• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Akame ga Kill! (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:22 am Reply with quote
gedata wrote:
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

About the only thing that seemed a bit off this episode for me was the part where Najenda is taunting Esdeath. It didn't seem to make too much sense that she could do that without being attacked by Esdeath, but maybe she's really good at hiding lol.

You're right since it did seem rather pointless considering how they completed the mission, guess she just couldn't pass up on the opportunity to mock her sworn enemy

Either that or it was an opportunity taken to goad the enemy. As she said, Najenda wasn't willing to take Edeath head on but being familiar enough with her she could apply the right psychological pressures to influence her actions. It may have been masqueraded as a pointless act but could actually have been a very calculated psy-op strategy. Esdeath is pretty savvy though so I would be surprised if it worked.
Quote:
As for this week, It's nice to see a big battle with a decent budget for once, but it was between two of the characters that annoy me the most. Also not a fan of the whole "my power depends on my emotions" nonsense, since it opens up the door to cheap power ups. You'd also think Seryu would exercise a bit of common sense and hold back on the taunting if it meant strengthening her foe.

The straightforward analysis of that matchup seemed to me that by all rights spoiler[Seryu should have won.] Mine had only a stand-off weapon and her own agility, and her main defense was either shooting a bullet with a bullet (pretty good in her case) or last ditch turning Pumpkin sideways and using it as a meager shield. Seryu, on the other hand, had an array of stand-off and close-in weapons to use as well as a very formidable defense. As mentioned, Coco would have been impenetrable to Mine had she not known the "weak spot."

What Seryu spoiler[should have done is get in close and Mine would have been toast.]

At the end of the day spoiler[Mine] won because she took the effort to evolve her tactics based on prior experience and strategy and spoiler[Seryu] did not. (Earplugs? Seriously you can defeat an Imperial Arms attack with earplugs?) For Seryu the prior experience was used only to fuel her desire for revenge. The last minute power-up was not was not really cheap. It seemed pretty clear that Mine spoiler[had planned for that to happen all along and she knew before the fact that was her best chance at winning.]
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:31 pm Reply with quote
I was totally fine with Mine spoiler[gaining a high level of power for that final attack. It makes sense with her character, especially since she's the tsundere of the group. However, like I said previously, it also shows her limitations. We were shown that (due to pumpkin overheating) this type of gambit is her desperation move, and she wouldn't have survived if Tatsumi didn't rescue her after she defeated Seryu.] I wouldn't really call it a "power-up" so to speak, since she's not like Susano and just turning into some kind of unstoppable badass. It is spoiler[her desperation move where she gets one final high-intensity beam, and that is really the culmination of her imperial arms since Pumpkin grows in power due to her being in a "pinch."

Well, there can be no greater pinch than the final chance to kill or be killed Smile]
maxwell3094

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:10 pm Reply with quote
gedata wrote:
Well folks, seems we're likely in for an an original ending ending here.
All in all about 10 chapters we're left out between this episode and what we saw in the preview and I somehow doubt we'll be going back.

I must admit I am very curious to see what sort of ending we will get now. Personally I don't mind the changes made in this episode. I just wonder what the anime will do about the different deaths/new characters that happened between this arc and where we seem to be going according to the preview. So far I am hopeful that whatever they do to end it is done well.
gedata

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:13 am Reply with quote
maxwell3094 wrote:
gedata wrote:
Well folks, seems we're likely in for an an original ending ending here.
All in all about 10 chapters we're left out between this episode and what we saw in the preview and I somehow doubt we'll be going back.

I must admit I am very curious to see what sort of ending we will get now. Personally I don't mind the changes made in this episode. I just wonder what the anime will do about the different deaths/new characters that happened between this arc and where we seem to be going according to the preview. So far I am hopeful that whatever they do to end it is done well.

Next episode "Kill the Carnage" is the title of a chapter that just came out last month. Pretty odd move
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Well things are quite different from the manga now, but at the same time it's not that different. I'm glad they left out some of the unnecessarily horrific things that were in the manga. For the morbidly curious, in the manga spoiler[Shura lead this group called Wild Hunt who would torture, rape, and kill anyone they felt like under the pretense of weeding out rebels. This includes Bols's wife and daughter.]

This episode has spoiler[Lubbock's death, but at least he went out like a champ.]
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:17 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[Shura takes the lead.
Back to Jaeger headquarters.
Looks like Kurome isn't fine at all.
Taking out the Prime minister is gonna be a challenge.
Budou makes an appearance.
Shura got what he deserved.
Unfortunately Lubba payed with his life for it.
Tatsumi got captured & faces public execution.]
Shikiari

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Episode 20

spoiler[RIP Lubbock!] Crying or Very sad

Noooooo! So another one of my favourite characters bites the dust. Though spoiler[he went out just like a 'true hero' should], with a very respectable death after defeating a tough opponent in spoiler[Shura]. spoiler[Night Raids] numbers grow thin and with spoiler[Tatsumi now captured], things are looking pretty dim.

So with spoiler[Esdeath taking over the torture duty on Tatsumi], how will the next episode play out? Will she try to convert him or will she simply do what she does best and interrogate him in the most sadistic ways possible? Or will love prevail above all else?...

...Tune in next week on Akame ga Kill to find out! Laughing
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Episode 20:

Well, that was rushed. I mean, spoiler[another member of Night Raid died while Syura also took the fall. Based on the PV of the next episode, it looks like Esdeath will have a talk with Tatsumi.]

I'm happy to know spoiler[Syura died] though since he is one of the most despicable characters in the entire series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:30 pm Reply with quote
How long would it take you to spoiler[find some spears to impale an enemy falling from the sky?] And why would you bother?
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Been really behind lately on a lot of stuff but finally managed to catch back up on the show. The past few episodes have been nothing short of excellent though I still have issues with how the villains are getting offed.

To mespoiler[ Justice Girl] still ended up being a wasted opportunity for a truly perplexing villain. She's just like Kurome and Esdeath. Or as Mine would put it "Damaged Goods".

But i really don't feel like a whole lot of effort went into her characterization. We are never shown a flashback of what turned her into the person she is now. I would have at least liked to see what ended up happening to her Dad or what kind of upbringing she had. But in the end it she was just kind of........there to represent a revenge crazed psychopath. I get the feeling that we're supposed to feel something for her since the show tries rather hard to show off that "cute face" of hers. But I don't think it worked. She's just a pimple who every wants to pop. I suppose she isn't a main villain so doesn't have the right to have a dedicated backstory but damn it she sure as hell should have.

Though spoiler[Bols death] happened a while ago and was well done I still have hang ups about it. We know what kind of person Bols is and I think his characterization was done better than most of the Jaguars for that matter. But we never really found out his motivations. He acknowledged that he's done bad things. Ok............that's all nice and dandy but WHY are you still working for an obviously corrupt capital? As naive as Wave is even he could see how screwed up everything was. Bols on the other hand was a veteran so there is very little to convince me he was just blind to it. Not to mention he was still able to respect Akame's reasons for fighting the Night Raid despite being enemies. So why does he believe he's doing the right thing?

Well I suppose maybe he doesn't believe he is. Bols had a family so if he were to join the Night Raid he'd be putting them in danger. Being a solider makes him able to provide everything he can for them. It would be a bit of a selfish reason for him to do his job but at least it would be somewhat understandable. Again I just feel like the writers could have tried harder with him. He doesn't have to be redeemed (even if I think he could have been) but expanding on his motivations would havespoiler[ made his death perhaps even more tragic.]

It doesn't help that his wife and child are just kind of.....sympathy tools. They were never established as people. They just go "Oh by the way he has a family". Fullmetal Alchemist had a similar situation spoiler[happen to Maes Hughes] (who is quite similar to Bols now that I think about it) but the family effected were well established characters that had a huge impact on the aftermath. In my opinion it really added to the tragedy of his death.

Ah well. You win some you lose some.

gedata wrote:

As for this week, It's nice to see a big battle with a decent budget for once, but it was between two of the characters that annoy me the most. Also not a fan of the whole "my power depends on my emotions" nonsense, since it opens up the door to cheap power ups. You'd also think Seryu would exercise a bit of common sense and hold back on the taunting if it meant strengthening her foe.

Is it any more cheap than characters who get powered up just by being angry? To be honest the main reason don't like the weapon for the simple fact Mine doesn't have to implement nearly as much skill to use it compared to everyone else. Shit what does the weapon turn into if she's facing an entire army? A nuke? She can just be in a bad situation and the weapon will do just adapt to the situation. Lame Wink

Episode 20

Eh.......spoiler[.so Lubock is dead.]...........I care? Even though he's been in the Night Raid for a long period I somehow cared less about him than even Bulat.

Yttrbio wrote:
How long would it take you to spoiler[find some spears to impale an enemy falling from the sky?] And why would you bother?

Right? If anything it made spoiler[his death] LESS gruesome......which is kind of weird. Had he actually landed from that height his body would have practically exploded all over the place.

Wait a minute...........didn'tspoiler[ Lubock] have his impenetrable wire armor on? He had enough wire to make a spear with in that other dimension so wouldn't it have made more sense to just keep on the armor just in case the wire trap didn't work and use it for a last resort attack if necessary? Afterall he hadspoiler[ enough to make a spear at the end] sooooooooo...................yeah.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:

Shura's men brought them with them, so I guess they wanted to use them for something
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:59 am Reply with quote
Episode 20

spoiler[Lubbock]. Well I think it felt like a spoiler[fitting last battle, Lubbock already explained that his backstory was that he found things boring, he was kind of a rich brat or something]. And know what, I could do without what people are saying what happened in the manga of spoiler[a mass rape].

What I am upset from the episode, that we did not get to see what was apparently Tatsumi and Mine getting "cosy", it does sound like there has been some change. I would have liked to see something since I find it hard to believe without doing so because of the title. With spoiler[Tatsumi captured and Esdeath about to take the whip (or whatever device she chooses)], I wonder if it will be a factor.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:47 pm Reply with quote
I was glad that was cut too but they never really told us how the fight between the Jaguars and the Night Raid ended in the palace from last episode.........they kind of just skipped that whole fight.
gedata

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:32 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 20

[spoiler] could do without what people are saying what happened in the manga of spoiler[a mass rape].

What I am upset from the episode, that we did not get to see what was apparently Tatsumi and Mine getting "cosy", it does sound like there has been some change. I would have liked to see something since I find it hard to believe without doing so because of the title

It was worse then that.spoiler[ Mass rape and torture. Bol's family wasn't exempt either and it happened on daddy's grave. The problem with skipping so much is that you don't get so Mine and Tatsumi confess ttheir feelings to each other. I don't give a lick about their relationship, but some do apparently.]
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Episode 21:

spoiler[RIP Mine. She fought well tbh but just couldn't take it huh? Still, it also looks like Su won't make it either. At least he will die as a warrior....]

Right now, the spoiler[body count is piling up and for some reason, I think Kurome might be next based on the ending and a death flag this episode.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 30 of 35