• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Akame ga Kill! (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shikiari

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Episode 23

Well well well...

spoiler[Tatsumi died. A good decision or bad, I'm not sure. I've got no problem with him biting the bullet but I was hoping for a more 'epic' death. Though in a way it was the right death for him, saving those civilians from being crushed by the completely overpowered Legendary IA after it was defeated. Just seems so Tatsumi.]

spoiler[Anyway next week... Esdeath vs Akame. Why? The empires crumbled, there's no reason left to fight, there's no bad blood between the two and no build up. It's not as if they both loved Tatsumi. I honestly feel like they've gone - "Who've we got left alive... Oh Esdeath and an underused apparent main character in Akame. I know let's make them fight each other." Rolling Eyes]

I suppose the most positive thing about an original ending for the anime means that if everyone takes a big dislike to it then the author/ artist can change it for the manga.

Oh and I did enjoy the episode as a whole, even if it was a tad ridiculous in parts. Smile
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:13 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[Action filled episode.
Night Raid is finally getting closer to their goal.
Lots of destruction too.
That giant robot was problematic.
Still, it was nothing that a little persistence couldn't fix.
Just one more episode left..
Wonder how that's gonna look like.]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm not entirely convinced spoiler[Tatsumi is dead. Nor have we definitively seen the death of the Emperor or Minister Onest.]

However, if I'm wrong, I didn't see that coming. I really felt that spoiler[Tatsumi would be last assassin standing and Akame would be toast.]

Guess we'll just have to see how it all shakes out next week!
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:38 pm Reply with quote
This episode is further proof that everything is better when you throw a mecha in there.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:41 pm Reply with quote
I do love that, after establishing that Incursio would be critical to killing the PM because of its stealth abilities, spoiler[he just kicks in the door.]
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:58 pm Reply with quote
So the cat girl and the wing guy are going to hook up?

BTW it is blindingly obvious that the Minister did in the Emperor's parents. They could have made a lot of progress pointing that out to him.
gedata

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:16 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Shame they had to use the best animation for such a weakly handled climax. This honestly felt like it ought to have been an entire story arc, rather then just one episode that bounced from one conflict to the next. What Run did in this week's episode made little sense. He knew the Empire was corrupt and that at this point is also a sinking boat so why still stand by it? Him not wanting to achieve change through violence might have made sense before, but a huge revolution is going on right now anyway, so why not change side with the people instead of Onest? Sure the revolution might be violent, but isn't it worse to continue letting an Empire that would turn a blind eye to the murder of children for the vague opportunity to "change it from the inside"?

The Giant Teiguzord was silly too of course, and having it be some collosal mech that only shoots beams is kind of lame to watch. Seems like the people in charge of writing this weren't in agreement on whether it's huge lasers could decimate entire chunks of capital in one shot or barely chip Tatsumi and Wave's armor. The conclusion was pretty meh, but this show has never been much of a paragon of originality.]
[http://i.imgur.com/​w9iNf3l.​png So Akame is a Ghoul?]

Asides from (maybe?) killing of Tatsumi, this climax felt pretty autopilot and underwhelming.]

Last edited by gedata on Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:22 pm Reply with quote
gedata wrote:
spoiler[Seems like the people in charge of writing this weren't in agreement on whether it's huge lasers could decimate entire chunks of capital in one shot or barely chip Tatsumi and Wave's armor.]

Or it could be a testament to how good spoiler[Incursio and Grand Chariot are as armors.]
gedata

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
gedata wrote:
spoiler[Seems like the people in charge of writing this weren't in agreement on whether it's huge lasers could decimate entire chunks of capital in one shot or barely chip Tatsumi and Wave's armor.]

Or it could be a testament to how good spoiler[Incursio and Grand Chariot are as armors.]

that's kinda cheap but whatever, there's plenty of OP teigu as is. I can't help but wonder what Teiguzord's trump card was though.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Episode 23

BS, spoiler[Tatsumi can't die here]. Could he spoiler[actually be still alive and will stop the fight]? I have wanted spoiler[multiple times for a character to have actually survived, but I don't think AGK has done it yet]. Please, spoiler[he is the main character and the innocent guy who wanted to help people, let him see the end].

It is not entirely out of left field that there would be spoiler[a giant weapon pilotable only by royal blood, after all there was care taken to explain about an emperor making them.] The PM is spoiler[still not dead, I get the feeling he might be there until the very end, maybe think he got away before someone unexpected kills him].
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:21 pm Reply with quote
I can't say for certain whether I think that was the best episode to date, but I do think it was an exceptionally strong episode none the less.

Clearly, AgK was saving up its animation budget for this episode. That was the most fluid and detailed animation we have seen thus far. The choreography was pretty awesome, and the set-piece of the Emperor's imperial arms was appropriately cataclysmic. I really don't know what would have been more appropriate than a giant mech-type imperial arms to be honest. He is the fricken emperor! His imperial arms is supposed to be totally out of control Smile

I was somewhat pleased with how the emperor was handled in this episode. I said before that I really wanted the writing to have him recognize the evils he had been perpetrating on the population. He seemed to start to realize it before being manipulated more by the PM, but he's still alive. Maybe we will see more of his changes in the next episode (after the PM is executed of course).

On spoiler[Tatsumi's final act] - wow! I really didn't expect spoiler[him to die. Even though the show is called "Akame" ga kill!, Tatsumi has always been the main character. We, the audience, largely have been seeing things through his perspective. Now he is dead (apparently).] I actually give the writers a lot of credit for spoiler[having the stones to kill him off. We've always said since day one that in AgK!, no one is safe. This episode proved that even the main character cannot count on plot armor to protect him. RIP Tatsumi, you were a pretty awesome MC while you lasted Smile]

Also, one last thing! I was really really pleased with how they brought back Bulat one last time to inspire Tatsumi to reach his full potential with Incursio. I can never say enough about how well the Bulat character has been used in this show. This just cemented once again how revered he is as a fan favorite character.

I feel so bad for Akame, spoiler[losing her sister and now her friend Tatsumi (along with the other deaths, but those two seem more significant for her.) Now she must fight Esdeath alone.] I can only imagine at this point what is going to be going through these two leading ladies minds as they battle each other to the finish. Next week's episode can't come soon enough!!
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:38 pm Reply with quote
I do like Akame, but I do think it's a bit too late for them to suddenly remember she's a main character. At least they have the sense to make fun of it.
gedata

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:45 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[How Akame is supposed to come out on top here is beyond me. I'd rather have Esdeath win than Akame's trump card be h4x enough to have been able to kill Esdeath the entire time. I can't really see her winning otherwise given how hyped Esdeath has been to this point.]
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:01 pm Reply with quote
I foresee spoiler[Akame stabbing through herself to get Esdeath.]
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:28 pm Reply with quote
gedata wrote:
spoiler[How Akame is supposed to come out on top here is beyond me. I'd rather have Esdeath win than Akame's trump card be h4x enough to have been able to kill Esdeath the entire time. I can't really see her winning otherwise given how hyped Esdeath has been to this point.]

at this point, it's up to the TV staffs on who they think will win. No logic that can come up matters.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 33 of 35