• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Akame ga Kill! (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:48 pm Reply with quote
No comedy? Does spoiler[Doggy-chan munching on an arm do nothing for you?]

Good episode when playing to its strengths, though I could have done without spoiler[sappy extended death scene, with Iwasaki's equally heavy-handed strings.]
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Shikiari wrote:

I'd like to thank spoiler[Sheele for saving Mein], but I do wonder if it would have been easier for her just to spoiler[kill Seryu when she had the chance, rather than run the distance to free Mein.] After all, they said the imperial Arms become useless once the owner is defeated.

Not really nitpicking, just bad decision making by her.

But then Justice Girl would spoiler[have just pulled out the gun in her vagina] Wink

Yttrbio wrote:

Good episode when playing to its strengths, though I could have done without spoiler[sappy extended death scene, with Iwasaki's equally heavy-handed strings.]

Hey hey hey.........hey! You take that back! Evil or Very Mad This my favorite style of Taku. Reminds me of his glory days when he was scoring Rurouni Kenshin. His talent with orchestral melodies goes beyond genius. He had to lay on the feels music and it worked..........for those that cared enough about spoiler[Sheele to be sad anyway.]

Is it bad that I'm starting to root for the justice girl? Honestly she might be the only villain in the series who hasn't done anything despicable to anyone innocent yet. She seems rather unaware of the bad stuff that goes on under her nose that night raid takes care of. So in short she's just a crazy psychotic solider fighting for justice! I think that's the best we are going to get here. Doesn't that make her similar to the Night Raid?

Did enjoy the episode as it was kept mostly serious. The fight was certainly over the top in many ways likespoiler[ Sheele being able not only move but also talk while being cut in half or how Seryuu has a gun hidden in every orifice of her body.]

I suppose it's saddening to see spoiler[Sheele die but considering they JUST properly introduced her last episode I didn't really have any attachment to her yet.] The music playing during spoiler[her final words] was absouletly beautiful though. (Screw you Yttrbio!Cool)
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:30 pm Reply with quote
I like his music in almost every context, but since it works so well, it's absolutely brutal if it's used to emphasize the drama of something you're rolling your eyes at.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Is there some rule about fighting two on one or something? It seemed like there were several chances for picking a target and working together to take it out that were passed by in favor of alternating one on one matches.

Or is there a recharging time between weapon uses? spoiler["Omg, it's regenerating! Let's just watch it until it's whole again instead of continuing to damage it."]

I agree with Yttrbio about the music being overwrought, but at least they didn't break things up with lame jokes, so on the whole this is greatly improved over the first few episodes. (and yes, I did notice the spoiler[arm taffy], which was just subtle enough not to interfere.)
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:53 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

I was really not ready for this episode, but it was so good.

Lets start with the first half involving Leone and Tatsumi. the saddest thing about the spoiler[people they took out is that actually happens]. It is actually quite well known about spoiler[men getting women addicted to drugs and then forcing them into prostitution to get a fix, it is quite sickening]. Means those spoiler[guys are not as laughably evil as you might hope], I have watched some documentaries on it okay. I took it from Leone reaction that the spoiler[whole situation may have been even more personal than she was letting on, and she appreciated Tatsumi's concern over such people].

As for the second part, man it really got my attention, I went from thinking that it would just be something small that would end soon to introduce things, to sitting up that things were getting serious. I was reminded quite a bit of spoiler[Attack on Titan about how serious things can get, the dog thing helped, but I really felt some tension]. Truth is I don't hate spoiler[justice girl, her character is rather interesting, Mine herself mentioned that she understood she was doing her job, but the fact it became personal meant a lot]. Actually rather pitiable, with what has spoiler[been done to her she is a bit of a monster.]

And spoiler[Sheele, I think she had become one of the easily likable characters, and so did not see it coming.] This was intense.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
I like his music in almost every context, but since it works so well, it's absolutely brutal if it's used to emphasize the drama of something you're rolling your eyes at.

Pardon me for jumping the gun. Oddly enough that’s my grievance as well. They spent way to much time trying to much the audience sad with that scene. spoiler[Sheele was not a developed enough character to warrant all those flashbacks with overly sappy music] (though i like the music in it’s own right). They try to force you tospoiler[ feel something for a character that really didn’t have that much screentime to justify it.] I’d prefer if they saved all that stuff for the aftermath instead. The anime doesn’t need to scream at us that we should be sad. The spoiler[shock of someone dying is split second. You don’t have time to think about everything they have done for you or how important they were.] How the characters react to said spoiler[death] is where the sorrow should come in imo.

That's one thing I liked about the spoiler[deaths in Attack on Titan.] They were all the more spoiler[tragic because the deaths happen so quick.] Suddenly spoiler[seeing a character you liked die with no time to react is much more effective imo.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:15 pm Reply with quote
@ leatherhead333
Really? Is it really that terrible that they would spoiler[show a character that we only knew a little bit about have flashbacks to a number of events we did not see]? Regardless of how much spoiler[pure focus on was on just her], what might have been more important is what spoiler[all of these characters mean to each other, and that is they are family]. And from what we have seen that they are all spoiler[broken, Tatsumi too, she had been trying to help Tatsumi how he was broken and it was also helping herself, but in the end she died.]

You are missing the focus if you think the spoiler[only tragedy is what happened Sheele. It was also how it affected each of the characters that have had focus in each episode].
Jacquipuff

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:08 am Reply with quote
You can count me amongst those who liked the music in this episode.

Well, I did guess that spoiler[Seryu was crazy], but that was...something else. Quite frightening, really. The fight scene was a lot of fun to watch, though. spoiler[Right up until Sheele's death, anyway. I liked her, so I was sad to see her go. I thought the scene showing the other Night Raid members reacting to her death was well done.]

spoiler[Looks like Esdeath has made it back to the city, with some other people with her...and I have a feeling most, if not all, of them also have Imperial Arms...looks like more death is guaranteed.]
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:10 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
@ leatherhead333
Really? Is it really that terrible that they would spoiler[show a character that we only knew a little bit about have flashbacks to a number of events we did not see]? Regardless of how much spoiler[pure focus on was on just her], what might have been more important is what spoiler[all of these characters mean to each other, and that is they are family]. And from what we have seen that they are all spoiler[broken, Tatsumi too, she had been trying to help Tatsumi how he was broken and it was also helping herself, but in the end she died.]

You are missing the focus if you think the spoiler[only tragedy is what happened Sheele. It was also how it affected each of the characters that have had focus in each episode].

Nobody said it was terrible. I simply stated my opinion on the matter. It's typical of shounen to spoiler[drag out the deaths with flashbacks or final speeches (like Sheele did here).] But when you get all this from a character that has hardly had any devotion is the impact going to be the same compared to someone who for example has been alive through the majority of the shows run? Of course not. So pardon me if I didn't care for the "this moment is so sad for this character that didn't really matter much". I don't think anime should try to dedicate how the audience should feel. Just let the moment happen naturally. If i was spoiler[cut in half about to be eaten by a mutated dog I don't think I'd have that much time to reminisce about my life] Wink .

Also you failed to notice that the aftermath aka how it effects everyone else is where I feel the sorrow should naturally come in. Anyways I don't think the moment was bad, I just think they overplayed it making the moment more cringing than sad for me.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's like if Kill la Kill tried to tell a serious story but wanted to keep the tongue and cheek comedy in. Just doesn't work.

Indeed.This show just doesn't work for me. The comedy and the bloody murdering is just a little too unbalanced. It's kind of....bizarre. Same reason I couldn't watch Higurashi but far less terrifying.

May others who enjoy it continue to enjoy it. But I'm out. I'm not big on shows that take killing so lightly...unless it's crack-level comedy all the way through.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Except for the very beginning of this episode, it was devoid of comedy, so far as I recall. I wonder if that'll be a trend into future episodes.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:04 pm Reply with quote
I like psycho girl. she's renewed my interest in the show
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:25 pm Reply with quote
I guess I'm the odd one out, because the entire thing feels like a comedy to me. Or at least not a serious show. So I'm not bothered by jarring tonal shifts, because they don't even happen in my mind.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:56 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Sheele.] Crying or Very sad Frankly, spoiler[she was the Night Raid member] I liked most.

To me there are definite tonal shifts, but they don't bother me. I find the comedy stuff funny and I find the emotional stuff poignant and I don't get freaked out when they are cheek by jowl, in this specific show. I'm not saying I'd necessarily always be onboard with that approach, but here it works fine for me. I can understand somebody who feels differently.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:13 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
I like psycho girl. she's renewed my interest in the show

And she started off as such a bubbly sweet thing. You are led to believe she is really sheltered or out of place but way to soft for the environment she is in. Then once the veneer comes off its hell on wheels.

This anime loves that type it seems.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 35