• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Akame ga Kill! (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:45 pm Reply with quote
1) It wasn't at the same moment. He was up there for a little bit in his armor, before dismissing it, and then he was still up there for a bit before Exdea-- uh, however they're spelling it showed up.

2) She didn't see him. She saw a shadow, and went to check it out. It was a bit of a stretch in the animation, but given the time of day, shadows would be pretty long up there, so I'm willing to go on the side of animation problems rather than bad logic.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:52 pm Reply with quote
That was a fun eppie. I've been hoping to see spoiler[Esdeath and Tatsumi reunited] - can't wait for next week to see how it plays out. Laughing

Loved how the team took the spoiler[piss out of Tatsumi for trying to be all cool with his fly down.] Laughing
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:15 pm Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
Unless she has super vision her being able to spoiler[squint and see him from that high up is pretty silly]

Esdeath was on patrol from the air. She was able to see a very wide area. I went flying today and I wasn't very high but I could see miles up and down the beach. I certainly could spot a lone person 3 miles away.

Note:

Quote:
2) She didn't see him. She saw a shadow, and went to check it out. It was a bit of a stretch in the animation, but given the time of day, shadows would be pretty long up there, so I'm willing to go on the side of animation problems rather than bad logic.

In night flying often you can only see things by their shadows which are often larger than the things that caused them. They were both patrolling the same area for the same reason. It is not outlandish at all that they should meet that way.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:38 am Reply with quote
Episode 13

I thought this was a great episode. The really have been doing a good job at exploring these "villains" as multi dimensional character, that situation seems to have pushed them into their lot in life. It seems that every episode we see a new side of Esdeath that shows what before was a heartless monster that took delight in total destruction, has been kind of maturing.

In the episode we saw them acknowledge that they do some pretty bad things, that pyro was doing his job but it was still bad, and that the professor's experiments were too far gone. They came to the conclusion that his death may have been his own fault for trying to attack the enemy by himself, and that he created abominations. While their orders started with bringing back a toy, clearly them defending people is not that bad.

From what we see in the preview, it looks like it spoiler[will be a Tatsumi and Esdeath episode] and I am rather looking forward. One bit seemed to show that spoiler[we will see what her past was like].

Also found the humour is actually quite good and is not clashing too much with the drama.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:58 am Reply with quote
It was another exceptional episode of this show. Once again, we see all of the elements that make AgK so great.

We see more depth and dimensions being added to the villains. This has been happening all along, and I am perfectly happy with the rate at which this show develops its villains. Some people have been demanding that the villains all be fully developed from the outset. I think that is short sighted, and it's probably because people just didn't believe that the show was going to keep up with that development for the long haul and it has. So those concerns really should be eliminated.

More on that point, I loved what was done with Bols. spoiler[We saw how he is a bit more of a conflicted character in that he knows he has done some terrible things, but he has done them because "they are his job." He believes that people fearing him is his penance for his bad deeds.] Also, there was a fantastic scene where Wave says something about how it's wrong for people to discriminate against Bols just based on his initial appearance, and Akame's sister Kurome reminds him that he did that to Bols when he first saw him. Wave is then forced to deal with the fact that he was discriminating. The reason why I thought that was so great, is because several episodes back there was a HUGE argument in the talkback for the episode reviews where certain people were complaining about how Wave and Tatsumi had initial reactions to people that were discriminatory, and people were getting way up in arms about how terrible the show was for having characters do that. Well, I think this also confirms more that the show's writers have the self-awareness to address that issue in a mature manner, and makes a lot of that argument seem silly in hindsight.

I thought the scenes spoiler[with Bols family were a nice way to emphasize the fact that there is a normal man under that mask... a father and husband who cares about his family. The fact that he is loved by his wife and daughter despite his awful profession was a very nice touch... I do feel some dread though about what is going to happen going forward though. This show is not too keen on maintaining such "happy times" as what we saw with Bols and his family together.
]

The scenes with Night Raid members goofing around a bit together were some nice bonding scenes. Yea, it's not as kickass as another action-filled episode, but that's good. You need episodes that develop the bonds between the characters if we are to believe in their sorrow when tragedy strikes. Normal people aren't just battling all the time.

I am similarly quite interested to see what spoiler[Tatsumi and Esdeath's reunion is like. The preview was indicating that they would be on a side adventure together. It seems like an awesome idea to further develop their "relationship."]

All in all, it was a great episode. As before, this is still my top selection each week.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:36 am Reply with quote
<3 CK. She says in detail all the things I feel about AgK! but lack the energy to write.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:49 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
<3 CK. She says in detail all the things I feel about AgK! but lack the energy to write.

CK: Go pro.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:31 am Reply with quote
A couple other things I didn't really have the time to address in my initial response as well:

Run
Emperor
Esdeath

Seriously, I don't know how the writers for this show pack SO much into each episode and have it all flow so well. I could have a side discussion about nearly every character after each episode.

So, I think just as we saw in the previous episode, episode 13 again indicated that spoiler[Run has some kind of ulterior motives in his service of Esdeath. Previously, we saw him commenting ominously about what Esdeath was up to, almost like he was keeping tabs on her for some dark(er) forces. This has seriously piqued my interest. I keep wondering about who could be a more dastardly force than Esdeath, and what kind of evil do they have planned for the world? And, if Run is working for them, why?] In this episode, we saw that scene where Run and Esdeath are in the flower garden together spoiler[and there seemed to be a lot of foreshadowing where she seemed to be subtly threatening him. She was showing that she was suspicious about how Doctor Stylish's monsters might have gotten free, and then when Run said he never thought she would be one for flowers, she responded by saying the flowers contained a poison she could torture people with. The whole exchange made it seem like she suspects Run is betraying her somehow.] That was just great use of the short amount of time they devoted to that.

I also liked that we got more scenes with the kid emperor. He is another one of the things I wonder about a lot. Just how innocent is he? Assuming he is innocent, is there any limit to how he can be manipulated by his prime minister? Between the scene with the emperor and Esdeath, and then the scene with Esdeath and the Prime Minister, I got some impression that Esdeath and the Prime Minister aren't really on the same side. She seems so much more refined than he is, even though they both seem to be on the "evil" side. I thought it was very interesting about how he seemed to kind of make fun of her for how she gives her reward money to her troops, and she responded by saying (smartly) that it would increase their devotion to her and make her more powerful. I just wonder if the two of them might be pitted against each other at some point, and how that is going to affect the Emperor. Well, just some more fun musings Smile
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:54 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
I just wonder if the two of them might be pitted against each other at some point, and how that is going to affect the Emperor. Well, just some more fun musings Smile

Oh, no question. If anyone is going to do in the Minister it is going to be Esdeath and nobody from Night Raid.

If the Minister is still alive it is because Esdeath really isn't that interested in offing him. She has what she wants, which is to pursue her interests including recreational torture and our hapless good guy. She doesn't want to be minister herself and the Empire enables her to do pretty much what she wants to do.

She seems to be on the same page as him with regard to raising the boy king. "Just don't let him get any adult diseases" and she is OK with the rest. LOL.

As for the emperor -- he is mostly innocent but actually seems quite bright. And he seems actually concerned that he hasn't lived up to a promise to Esdeath.

As I wrote before if AgK is going to be noted for anything, it is the most interesting cast of villains ever assembled. They are so interesting the story doesn't seem to suffer much when they get wasted.

The Minister just leveled up on this regard. Rather than just being a leering carniverous strongman it seems he has some real skills. He has some ability as a scientist since he was able to figure out what the doctor guy was up to.

As for Esdeath, I think Tatsumi is still going try to "turn" her in some way and what this story has become is what she will do.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Another bit that had me chortling during the last eppie was when the spoiler[dragony Danger Beasts show up on the summit and Tatsumi thinks to himself, "aha, I can use this distraction to escape!" and then Esdeath kills them all with one swipe and Tatsumi is all, welp guess that moment has passed]. Laughing
Jacquipuff

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Honestly I was expecting it would be a bit longer until spoiler[Tatsumi and Esdeath ran into each other again.]

Ah, and now we've been introduced to spoiler[Bols's wife and daughter and their happy lovey-dovey life together. So now if anything happens to him, I'm guaranteed to be sad, and given what kind of show this is, I'm almost positive something will happen to him...]

And we got a bit more info on Rabac...Lubbock...I've seen it both ways, and for some reason I can never seem to remember which one Crunchyroll's subs use...but anyway, spoiler[so he's in love with Najenda...]

Next episode maybe spoiler[Some of Esdeath's past?] Could be interesting.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:11 pm Reply with quote
uh oh, Lubbuck talked about this past, looks like he's next on the chopping block
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, but y'all are continuing to remind me of stuff I found funny from the last eppie. I loved Tatsumi's reactions to Lubbock's backstory: i.e. spoiler["You really are an ass."] Laughing

It's clear to me that the whole scene was supposed to take the piss out the "tragic backstory" trope.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Now that I think of it, the only one raising any romance flags with Takumi has been Esdeath. Come on Akame, you gotta pull your weight as the main heroine or else Takumi really will be taken away! Laughing
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:50 pm Reply with quote
I'm shipping TatsumixWave myself... Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 19 of 35