• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Akame ga Kill! (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm shipping BolsxWave, with wife-and-kid joining Night Raid and coming back for vengeance on homewrecking fishboy.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Bols would NEVER cheat on his wife! Please stop thinking of such unrealistic scenarios.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:04 pm Reply with quote
I am totally imagining Bols' little daughter as a member of night raid now, cute as a button and slaughtering imperials by the hundreds, screaming "DAADDY!!!!" and giggling maniacally.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Please stop thinking of such unrealistic scenarios.

OK, I lol'ed.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:51 pm Reply with quote
I suppose Mine could hook up with Tatsumi. She is the twin-tailed tsundere, after all, and they have a pretty good win/loss ratio. And if anyone asked who she was, Tatsumi could say "She's mine!"

*Looks at title* Oh wait, nevermind, that'll never happen Laughing
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:41 pm Reply with quote
za21 wrote:
By that reasoning, you would say that no matter where they meet again it would be a coincidence. If she ran into him at the marketplace you would say 'oh thats just too much of a coincidence.' spoiler[ It was a pretty high point on the mountain so her spotting him isn't unbelievable. ] So no, it's not a big coincidence.

What are you even talking about? Any coincidences (the one or two can you possibly construe as one throughout the entire series) you are thinking about are pretty damn reasonable. This is basic writing that you see in a fictional story. If a series of events need to unfold to get to a conflict, like spoiler[ Esdeath reuniting with Tatsumi ], then so be it. I don't see how you can flat out say that is bad writing. Nothing indicates that it is. Anyways, who said the story was trying to move forward as fast as possible. Its moving as it needs to.

My point is that, there aren't any AMAZING coincidences that are obvious. Certainly none that are detrimental to the storytelling. Btw, what coincidence are you talking about from the first episode?

No I wouldn't. It would depend on how the situation of them meeting was built up. Them meeting for the first time wasn't a coincidence since Tatsumi planned on attending her little event. That's reasonable. Tatsumi in this case just happened to at the top of a mountain range that Esdeath just HAPPENED to be patrolling near it at that time. That's a big coincidence because the timing for that meeting would have to be picture perfect. A marketplace isn't even close to a reasonable comparison. The range of those mountains is HUGE and spotting a tiny little shadow like that within a few moments of Tatsumi jumping to the mountain top is absurd amounts of coincidence. What would have I liked better? If a beast made a VERY loud noise or something that drew the both of them to the same location. THAT would be reasonable to me.

As for the first episode I already ranted about that earlier but basically.

"Tatsumi meets a night raid member"

"The Night Raid saves Tatsumi from being killed by the royalty torturers. There was no indication they would attack that night. The issue had been going on for a LONG time as well. It wasn't recent. They had been killing many people in the past yet the Night Raid chose to attack that night for no apparent reason".

"Tatsumi is spared because the night raid member he met earlier took pity on him. Even besides that he should have been killed by Akame but was saved because she stabbed in the EXACT spot he was holding an item. Which shouldn't have done anything anyway since she could have just stabbed the whole sword through".

"The only person alive in the torture chamber is coincidentally his best friend who is only conveniently only alive enough to give him his dying words.

So when you think about it the whole damn first episode is one big coincidence! You call it basic fiction writing I call it basic shit writing Wink. How about a few episodes back when the ONLY person who wasn't weak to the poisoning of the doctor manages to show up at the last minute? These are not REASONABLE coincidences they are poorly written ones that are used to play up the drama/action as much as possible. Aldnoah did this crap too and I complained about it there as well. It's not like I'm finding reasons to point this out. It's genuinely something that bothers me about the storytelling in Akame ga Kill because I can't help but notice how often it has to use coincidences to move things forward at a break neck pace. Tatsumi and Esdeath parted ways not to many episodes ago. For them to meet again already is indeed a quick turn of events.

Akame ga Kill gets away with it because of it's humorous tone since you really wouldn't care about coincidences if you didn't take what you are watching seriously right? Esdeath meets with her man once again! She's back to her blushing cute self so who cares that this is a crazy coincidence?

Last edited by leatherhead333 on Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:05 pm Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
Akame ga Kill gets away with it because of it's humorous tone since you really wouldn't care about coincidences if you didn't take what you are watching seriously right?

Pretty much. I mean, I wouldn't be happy if AgK! was loaded with wildly improbable plot accelerators all the time, but it's not, so I'm not unhappy. I kind of feel sorry for viewers like you who get hung up on unimportant shit like, "zomg, what a MASSIVE coincidence that Esdeath and Tatsami are on the same summit." It's a really banal and trite outlook to take into a fun show.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:17 pm Reply with quote
We all have our own criteria for what constitutes fun. I'd say Akame ga Kill would be a "fun" show if it didn't have so much killing. And since the show revolves around a matter i prefer to be taken seriously I take it seriously myself. That's just me though Wink
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Fair enough. You've made it clear over a number of posts the kind of show you like and the kind of sensibility you bring to the table, which is perfectly valid. But you have to understand that just because a show isn't catering to your sensibility or taste doesn't automatically make it bad. I've said this many times before but it never stops being pertinent: the weakest kind of criticism is when somebody complains that the problem with an apple is that it doesn't taste like an orange.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:18 pm Reply with quote
In general though wouldn't that mean you couldn't criticize anything using that reasoning? I mean even if something truly is terrible there are people out there who will defend it regardless. Just look at all the terrible ecchi shows that get reviewed here. In my opinion they are genuinely bad but people complain that the reviewer isn't part of the targeted audience therefore it makes his review meaningless which is bull. Heck the reason I somewhat liked Queens Blade was because it was so over the top and creative with it's fanservice while taking itself rather seriously that it actually made me laugh quite a bit. Not in a cynical way but an actual enjoyment of said material. It was sleezy trash but it was something new to the fanservice scene.

You shouldn't have to be within the targeted audience to judge something. Because that would mean any sort of complaints are nothing but trite nonsense that you are only having because the show doesn't appeal to you. It may not seem like it but I'm actually trying to be as neutral as possible when I watch Akame ga Kill. I admit sometimes I do go into an episode with the mindset "This is going to suck ass." but I vent most of that out elsewhere and make a more composed comment here. Of course I've mentioned that the show doesn't really appeal to my personal tastes but it does enough interesting things to keep me watching. Seeing those interesting points go to waste it what drives me up the wall. While I admit some of my points are nitpicking I don't think most of them are invalid simply because I'm not part of the target audience.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:38 pm Reply with quote
You are misunderstanding what I am saying. Of course people can legitimately criticize something even if it happens to be outside their own personal tastes. But you have to be careful if you are watching something outside your personal taste that you don't misidentify an element as "bad writing" JUST because it doesn't mesh with your sensibility.

An example of this is that you (and some others) don't like AgK!'s habit of juxtaposing serious content with goofy humour. It's fine to say, "that approach doesn't work for me." It's not fine (imo) to say, "that's just bad writing."
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:15 pm Reply with quote
It is like you don't believe in fate, leatherhead333. For him to join Night Raid the hands of fate showed him how dark the city was in a very personal, that for this to be a story of an innocent person to become an assassin required a dark situation and to go with the assassins.

It is a string of fate that pulls him and Esdeath together. He was denied access to the army, while she apparently quickly rose through it. If Tatsumi had managed to join the army and stay alive long enough it could be safe to say he may have joined her, how her way of treating her men may have benefited him. Although polar opposites, I wonder about similarities between them, that they both like looking for strong opponents from above and enjoy the fights.

Maybe more similarities with how both have attended the gravesites of fallen comrades. Perhaps going to be nothing, I kind of wonder if they are more similar than they might appear and only situation has made her different.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
You are misunderstanding what I am saying. Of course people can legitimately criticize something even if it happens to be outside their own personal tastes. But you have to be careful if you are watching something outside your personal taste that you don't misidentify an element as "bad writing" JUST because it doesn't mesh with your sensibility.

An example of this is that you (and some others) don't like AgK!'s habit of juxtaposing serious content with goofy humour. It's fine to say, "that approach doesn't work for me." It's not fine (imo) to say, "that's just bad writing."

But I've never said humor is what makes Akame ga Kill have bad writing. It's the way they set up the forms of conflict that I don't think are very well thought out and cheaply thrown in for convenience that make it's writing bad. Tatsumi meeting Esdeath is obviously going to greatly effect both characters making this an important plot development. So their meeting being played out as some comedic coincidence doesn't make the bad writing go away. The more you enjoy something the more you can ignore some of these things.

However that doesn't make the issues appear as if they were never there. You can't simply say the comedic tone makes these contrived situations disappear. Akame ga Kill regardless of what you think isn't all fun and games. The characters suffer, kill and have a thirst for vengeance. This isn't a "Look at those cool funny people kill those bastards!". There is emotional manipulation at play here with attempts at genuine character development. Even if Akame ga Kill wants to keep it's comedic tone dragging it into the mores serious parts of the story ruin any sense of credibility the situation might have had otherwise.

I mean shit just look at the paragraphs Chibi types about every episode here. For someone who enjoys the show I'd say he's also taking it seriously too. While it's nice he points out what he likes about it I really get the feeling that the writers didn't care enough to make their work as grand as some of the fans do.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:13 pm Reply with quote
The way Tatsumi and General Esdeath meet back up is not bad writing. That's just your narrow-minded view. Coincidences are not an example of bad writing. People who get hung up on that trivial shit are just unimaginative pedants. You remind me of your hero dtm42 who sneered that Infinite Stratos was "unrealistic" because no true military academy would allow a male and female to room together. Laughing
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:39 pm Reply with quote
How so? Are you telling me that a string of coincidences that are used to force a character to develop as quickly as possible, make a fighter look cooler or advance the story in an extreme fashion is an example of good writing?

You have your own criteria for this show in particular but I remember you having issues with the coincidence of both Kirito and Shino in SAO having similar problems which allowed for them to reach a mutual understanding quicker than they normally would have otherwise. I also had issues with that because making things SOOOO convenient for certain situations is just plain lazy writing. Now since you don't think Akame ga Kill takes itself seriously you obviously don't care about the issue here while in SAO you do since you feel that show DOES take itself seriously.

As one who is trying to take both shows at the same level I simply remain consistent with my own notions of what makes a poorly written coincidence and what doesn't. What's "unimaginative" here is the writing not me good sir Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 20 of 35