• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Akame ga Kill! (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Don't forget, Esdeath believes in survival of the fittest.

If she were at this moment ordered to kill Tatsumi (while she doesn't know they are enemies and still loves him), I have little doubt that she would just kill whoever gave her that order, possibly even the emperor himself. As long as her core belief is "strong survive, weak perish," then might makes right.

I think the only reason she hasn't done such things in the past is that they don't benefit her. She doesn't seem to want to be a ruler, and she probably likes being a general out on the battlefield. So, she follows orders of the PM and emperor. But if they crossed her in some way, I have little doubt she would kill them with little hesitation.

It will be interesting to see how she reacts once she knows Tatsumi is her enemy, though. I could see her belief system taking over there as well. She'll essentially say "If I kill him, then he is weak and deserved to die. If he kills me, I was weak and deserved to die."
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:03 pm Reply with quote
The really interesting thing about Esdeath as a character is that I could imagine it going either way: obeying the command or killing the person who issued it and neither would surprise me. I would be able to trace back the rationale for either choice even though they are diametrically opposed.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:23 pm Reply with quote
I honestly believe that if Esdeath was ordered to kill Tatsumi, then she would do so without argument. She is an efficient killing machine that follows a code. The best we could hope for is for her to want Tatsumi to be stronger than her, so that she couldn't kill him.

If she is the weakest then she is willing to die, but the problem/ question arises if Tatsumi was to offer her mercy instead of killing her outright. Would she accept it or would she see it as weakness on his behalf? Esdeath was never taught that there is strength in sparing life, rather than taking it, so would it open her eyes?

It's all nonsensical speculation anyway as we know that when two Imperial Arms users duel, then one must die and it'll probably be Akame, not Tatsumi that faces her.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Shikiari wrote:
She is an efficient killing machine that follows a code.

But that's exactly what I am starting to doubt. It's funny, I first started to get this feeling when she told the Minister that the reason she rewards her troops is so that they will feel even more motivated to fight for her. I remember thinking at the time, "hmm, I wonder if she is being honest with herself, here." It almost seemed to me that she wanted to assure the Minister that she was, in fact, an efficient killing machine unburdened by any "softness" such as rewarding her troops for altruistic, as opposed to tactical, reasons.

Trying figure stuff out like this is what makes her fun to watch.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Just going to leave this hater comment here.

The camera sure loved to zoom in on Esdeath's bust huh? Should have just titled this episode "BEWBS IN YO FACE BITCH!"

So Esdeath can summon a giant meteor shaped iceberg? Cool

Btw have ALL the villains been drinking that demon beast blood? Because THAT would make sense of why they are all crazy for no reason.

I wonder how Tatsumi could possibly escape Esdeath this time?
(sees that Tatsumi escapes due to another shitty coincidence)

...................(eye twitch)

Now that that is out of the way I suppose i should make a constructive comment.

Esdeath's backstory left me sort of confused at first. I was sort of baffled that they didn't shohorn in some tragic sob story to justify her behavior. Color me impressed.

Even so it left me not really knowing what to think about her. Sure she was we born in a crazy environment but as her dad points out she quickly adapted to killing other living creatures like it was natural to her. I'm pretty certain that it surprised him as well. So in a sense she is a natural born fighter but it's disturbing how she made the transition from killing beasts to humans as if it didn't matter. Since she has always been like this I suppose now that she's working for the capital you could consider her a dog with rabies. Got to put the poor thing out of her misery.

ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Mogamet from Magi has been brought up previously, and he is pretty much the very essence of that villain type. (For the record, I really enjoyed Magi, but I am still not able to really buy into Mogamet's sob story, as sad as it was).

IIt's odd that you brought him up. If you think about it Esdeath and Mogamet share many similarities. Of course Mogamet had a far more tragic past but the essence of what they represent is practically the same.

A sincere and iron will to protect those who are close to them. Most villains don't really care about their henchmen as they are disposable tools. But Mogamet and Esdeath treat their loved ones with great care going to great lengths to see that they are happy. It's not fake either. It's entirely genuine. Which is something that isn't very often seen in villains. It's one of the reasons I liked her till we found out she is a psycho bitch.

Mogamet had great hatred towards humans just as Esdeath doesn't care for the weak. Mogamet treated humans as pigs because that's how his mind had shaped them out to be after suffering the darker side of society. Esdeath after living in a unforgiving survival of the fittest environment found pleasure in eliminating things and gaining power (even though you could argue she was practically born that way).

They are virtually the same when you think about it though in Esdeath's case it's going to be nearly impossible to redeem her given her mentality and track record. Mogamet never mindlessly killed humans even if he did hate them. He did have rather spoiler[cruel living conditions for the humans he was using as a sort of energy but some of them actually liked living there since they never had to work and could bum around all day.] Yes......he was a sympathetic villain. But he was more than that. He was just a generally nice guy who got a bad hand in life. You could say the same for Esdeath had she not been raised in the environment she was in. If she was going to change it would have had to have been early on in her young and impressionable years. The way I see it she is only working for the Capital because it allowed her to further express that "strong over weak" mentality by giving her the freedom to gain more power and protect those close to her (since the higher up in society you are the easier such a feat is).That is what makes her character unique. People like sympathetic villains because watching some hamy douchebag run the show is boring. And so far Esdeath is literally the only character that breaks that trend.

With that said I'd say she's............interesting.........don't misunderstand! It's not like I'm saying she's compelling or anything!

ChibiKangaroo wrote:

Maybe eventually some of its critics will start to recognize that.

Never Evil or Very Mad
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:00 am Reply with quote
Rather than doing another point by point argument in this particular instance, I am just going to posit that I think Leatherhead is enjoying this show MUCH more than he is letting on Smile You can play Devil's Advocate all you want my friend, but you seem to be having a good time analyzing the complexity of these characters Wink
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:09 am Reply with quote
Yeah, leatherhead333 is so tsundere with AgK!

"It's... it's not like I'm watching you because I like you or anything!"
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:37 am Reply with quote
so, did the new bad guys' booty call look like Hex from Jourmungand to anybody else?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:49 am Reply with quote
I didn't pick up on that, but the guy's cross-shaped scar did give me FMA flashbacks.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:34 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Rather than doing another point by point argument in this particular instance, I am just going to posit that I think Leatherhead is enjoying this show MUCH more than he is letting on Smile You can play Devil's Advocate all you want my friend, but you seem to be having a good time analyzing the complexity of these characters Wink

Shut up and argue with me damn it! Evil or Very Mad
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:05 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[Chelsea sure can be a b*tch sometimes..
Tatsumi got beat up again ROFL
Seryu is somewhat out of control again.
Someone should put her in her place soon.
Chelsea has a thing for Tatsumi ^^
So does Esdeath... talk about having competition.
Fan service beach day was nice for a change.
Jaegers vs Night Raid! Finally!!!
Damn, Akame's sis sure has a scary power.
Can't wait to see how it'll play out next time.]
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:21 pm Reply with quote
It would be hard to imagine a more specious reason to put all the girls in bikinis. If it was part of some "plan" it didn't seem to do anything.

I pretty much lost all sympathy for Seryu at this point. That thing with the bandits was pretty awful. I hope Tatsumi does her. I think Wave has become aware of her nature and I hope he survives somehow.

As always this anime delivers -- something of a surprise at any corner.

Things look pretty dam bad for Night Raid even though tspoiler[heir plan seemed to work.] I hate to wait a week to see what happens.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:31 pm Reply with quote
I think they've developed characters enough that now, when a fight happens, you really kind of dread it, regardless of who wins.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:27 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
It would be hard to imagine a more specious reason to put all the girls in bikinis. If it was part of some "plan" it didn't seem to do anything.

I pretty much lost all sympathy for Seryu at this point. That thing with the bandits was pretty awful. I hope Tatsumi does her. I think Wave has become aware of her nature and I hope he survives somehow.

As always this anime delivers -- something of a surprise at any corner.

Things look pretty dam bad for Night Raid even though tspoiler[heir plan seemed to work.] I hate to wait a week to see what happens.

Do they need any reason to put any females in bikini's? I thought the swimsuit episode was the natural progression of any anime series... Laughing

Personally I'm rooting for spoiler[Mine to "off" Seryu as revenge for Sheele]. But yes, someone needs to take her out and quickly. I would like to see Wave joining Night Raid at some point but I can't see it happening as long as Esdeath is in charge.

While Kurome's Imperial Arm is rather impressive, I still think Night Raid hold the trump card in Najenda's Imperial Arm. We know nothing of it so far, so it's probably going to be something powerful.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:30 pm Reply with quote
the new OP promises lots of fights. That's something I can get behind. just hope they don't all end too quickly
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 23 of 35