• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Akame ga Kill! (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:57 am Reply with quote
The new OP song was great imo but the ED song felt a bit similar to the previous ED. Still wonderfully done in terms of animation quality though.

The latest episode was done right and adapted well imo. The spoiler[short fight so far is just a little preview of what's to come next week too. And poor poor Wave, he got blasted off Team Rocket style. I think by now, he also realized about Seryu's intentions. Out of all the members from Jeagers, I think Seryu will be the only member that Wave would not get along well.]

Good to see spoiler[Kurome this episode too. At any rate, I expect her to unleash the bulk of her abilities next time. Her Teigu is one of the most powerful in the series and you'll see why soon enough.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:00 am Reply with quote
Shikiari wrote:
While Kurome's Imperial Arm is rather impressive, I still think Night Raid hold the trump card in Najenda's Imperial Arm. We know nothing of it so far, so it's probably going to be something powerful.

Ummm... we know quite a bit about it. Considering that it's spoiler[one of their new teammates.] Or did you miss where they explicitly said that her Imperial Arm is spoiler[Susanoo]?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:48 am Reply with quote
Episode 15

New OP and ED, I think they are rather good.

And at this point, Seryu has become unredeemable. It was one thing that she might kill in the middle of combat against an enemy, but to spoiler[act like judge, jury and executioner to captured people only guilty of perhaps petty crimes]. She has totally lost any respect for real justice.

Anyway, it looks like the fights between the groups is going to happen, and from what we have seen from last season things can take surprising turns. With the sister's spoiler[power I have a feeling that she can make herself undead, or bring to life one of the Night Raid members who get killed].

Things look good.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:53 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Shikiari wrote:
While Kurome's Imperial Arm is rather impressive, I still think Night Raid hold the trump card in Najenda's Imperial Arm. We know nothing of it so far, so it's probably going to be something powerful.

Ummm... we know quite a bit about it. Considering that it's spoiler[one of their new teammates.] Or did you miss where they explicitly said that her Imperial Arm is spoiler[Susanoo]?

Ah sorry, I believe that's due to some confusion on my behalf. I always thought of spoiler[Susanoo as a living, breathing Imperial Arms] with effectively no owner. Hence Najenda would have her own personal one also.

Just to add in I'm with Lubbock, that when she 'lets her hair down', spoiler[Najenda] is pretty darn cute too.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:23 am Reply with quote
I wasn't that impressed with the new OP. I kind of like the old one better. But, episode 15 was pretty good. We got a good understanding of what Night Raid's overall strategy is going forward, we got some more development for Seryu and Tatsumi, and we saw the start of the battle with Bols and Kurome v Night Raid. Next episode should be a bit of a doozy.

I really liked the scene at the beginning with Seryu. We are getting a clear understanding now of just how far gone she is, and spoiler[even Wave recognizes that she's messed up and not really "good." I think we can probably expect that she will just become more and more depraved as time goes on. The only thing that I think could be a missed opportunity with her is that now that Dr. Stylish is dead, I don't think her physical appearance will become more warped to match her personality. That could have been a nice touch, if he kept "upgrading" her until she didn't really look human anymore.] But then again, maybe she will continue to have this "looks can be deceiving" cutesy moe effect and it might keep working until she meets her demise.

Before I move on to Tatsumi, I also wanted to say that I loved seeing Chelsea at work again too. To be honest, when I first saw her introduced I wasn't really sure how powerful her imperial arms would be, but it is actually probably one of the most powerful ones if you really think about it. spoiler[She assassinated a target and then when the Jaegers arrived on the scene to capture her, she turns into a cat and they have no idea she's there.] I would imagine that it would be incredibly hard to kill her. First of all, if she can change into any animal, it might be virtually impossible to know where she is at any given time. She could probably change into something very small like a fly or a mouse and there'd be no way to tell her apart from any other creature hanging about. Also, if she can change during battle it would almost certainly give her a significant advantage against anyone fighting her. (I could imagine her battling people kind of like Beast Boy from Teen Titans, and changing into whatever suited her current situation.) But also, spoiler[we saw Kurome summon a huge danger beast using her zombie sword. So then I wondered, what would stop Chelsea from changing into a huge danger beast?] Does her imperial arms give her the powers and/or abilities of whatever she changes into? If so, that would be a pretty kick ass imperial arms. One second she could be a mouse scurrying along undetected, and the next a giant dragon snapping your body in two.

In regard to Tatsumi, once again the show seems intent upon eliminating Leatherhead's criticisms hehehe Smile We had more than one part spoiler[where Tatsumi is talking about avoiding innocent deaths and was still struggling with the fact that he is a killer. Najenda had to explain the plan to him just so he would stop worrying about how many people would die. Then we saw him reaffirm his commitment to the cause, even though he wasn't so sure before if he could maintain the course.] As before, I've been pretty pleased with how they've been developing Tatsumi. He's not a weakling, but he's clearly not the strongest yet and is smart. He doesn't act recklessly like some MCs, but he also doesn't curl up in a fetal position and whimper while people are dying around him (ahem... Kaneki). At the same time, he is contemplative. He thinks carefully about his situation. He seems like a pretty ideal MC to me, but I do expect Leatherhead will continue to complain about him... Wink (prove me wrong!)

I am eager to see how the battle plays out next week. I think we have some understanding that someone is going to die, since someone has to die when imperial arms users battle. It's just a question of who. I noticed that the preview spoiler[showed Run as well though, so I am assuming he will be involved in this somehow as well. Since his imperial arm allows him to fly, maybe he could have been a trump card for the Jaegers? He could be flying overhead somewhere waiting to strike.]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
I think they've developed characters enough that now, when a fight happens, you really kind of dread it, regardless of who wins.

Amen to that. I'm kind of surprised the showdown is happening now. I thought they might drag it out a bit more.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I'm kind of surprised the showdown is happening now. I thought they might drag it out a bit more.

Without Esdeath it ain't the main event. Just the warm up.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:34 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Blood- wrote:
I'm kind of surprised the showdown is happening now. I thought they might drag it out a bit more.

Without Esdeath it ain't the main event. Just the warm up.

Somewhat, I agree with this but spoiler[Kurome] is incredible powerful and imo one of the strongest members of Jeagers.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:33 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Somewhat, I agree with this but spoiler[Kurome] is incredible powerful and imo one of the strongest members of Jeagers.

She's the only one to land a (glancing) blow on Esdeath when they first met at the conference room. She's probably #2 behind Esdeath.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:03 pm Reply with quote
So Night Raid vs Jaegers begins.
Who will live, who will die?
Can't wait for the net episode.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Episode 15

.........I have nothing to say. This episode was perfect in almost every way for the exact reasons Chibi mentioned. I was waiting for the moment Wave would finally say "Maybe the capital isn't all that cool" and I finally got it. Tatsumi displayed a reasonable reaction to the idea there would have to be sacrifices for the mission showing he still has some morality left.

I have no will to fight against giving Akame ga Kill credit anymore Crying or Very sad

.......But I'll find a way Evil or Very Mad
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:45 am Reply with quote
Episode 16:

Great episode overall with the action. Ah, spoiler[Kurome's puppets are quite something huh? And there's still one more left from that arsenal. Anyways, this fight is obviously going to continue until next time so it'll be interesting to see how it will be adapted.]

Susanno was awesome this episode though.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:29 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Sister vs sister]!
That huge danger beast sure was dangerous.
Jaegers were no joke either.
Damn, spoiler[they were pretty much wiping the floor with our guys].
Wow! that Susanoo is just amazing!
Oh... that ending... not good.
Ghost_Wheel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:25 pm Reply with quote
This was the first episode in quite a while I found really fun. Lots of action is always a plus for a show like this. My favorite part is probably spoiler[Najenda's fighting style. Gong bionic commando on your enemies is really cool and I kind of wish her arm was an imperial arms so she could have a bigger slice of action screentime.]

I also really liked that spoiler[dirty saxophone solo when Susanoo powered up.] Nice touch
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:19 pm Reply with quote
I will first say leatherhead proved me wrong. I will happily admit my wrongness Smile

Second, I really really loved episode 16. That was the action-packed battle royale that I'm sure a lot of people have been begging for.

One of the things that I definitely noticed and really liked was the fact that Night Raid was struggling quite a lot in this fight. This isn't one of those shows where the good guys get kicked around a little and then power up to their super attack and win. Instead, spoiler[Night Raid was really taking a lot of wounds and two of their members nearly died (also, that cliff hanger ending makes it seem like someone might die yet, but we will have to wait until next week to see if that is the case!) That was really great, and given that two members have already been killed, and the characters have been developed so well, the tension just feels so real in this show.] I really felt worried spoiler[when I saw Leone's arm get cut off.] The show has done a great job building up our attachment to these people.

Also, I was really surprised by just how powerful Kurome's corpse soldiers are. That massive danger beast she had under her control seemed like it was capable of taking on an entire army let alone just Night Raid... and its mega-blast was like one of those crazy powerful DBZ attacks that take out entire mountains. spoiler[Fortunately, Susanno is a serious badass himself so he was able to defeat it once Najenda powered him up Smile] That was a lot of fun to watch though, and they didn't seem to skimp at all on the animation budget for this battle.

spoiler[It's too bad if Bols dies in this battle. He was one of the bad guys who seemed like he had some conscience, but he still deserves it if he does bite the dust.]

I'm really eager to see how things play out next episode. This was definitely one of my favorite of the series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 24 of 35