• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Akame ga Kill! (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:18 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Tatsumi rescue mission!]
Esdeath sure likes him, shame she's a psycho.
spoiler[Kurome looks like she living on borrowed time.]
That arena hosted one hell of a fight.
spoiler[Susanoo is always full of surprises, but so is Mine.
Tatsumi got rescued, but with a steep price.]

spoiler[MC deaths] keep piling up..
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:15 pm Reply with quote
This war of attrition is brutal. And I just don't see what is going to take Esdeath down no matter what. My guess is she won't be.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:40 pm Reply with quote
So much bullshit in this episode that made it more hilarious than sad (though still kind of sad I guess).

I already knew Mine's weapon was stupidly overpowered but the fact she can defeat one of thespoiler[ most powerful opponents in the ENTIRE capital BARELY implementing any strategy is still pretty stupid.] All I have to do is let myself get beat up and nearly die to win! Withspoiler[ Justice Girl] she had to at least work for it to win that fight but here she literally just spoiler[keeps getting owned and manages to win.] Not exactly the shows best fight.

Esdeath can now apparently spoiler[freeze time]. HOW or WHY she can do this is beyond me and probably won't ever be explained because the writers just wanted to give her a super OP powerup to prove how much she loves Tatsumi (gag). Or that might just be some wordplay joke "LOL she can freeze everything even spoiler[time] hyuk!".

That scene between them in the jail cell might have actually been nice if the two shared some decent chemistry. But since their relationship has been cringe worthly one sided the entire time I'm still not feeling anything for this couple. A real shame that the couple that did have some chemistry is now spoiler[gone.]

spoiler[Mine's death was............okay if not a bit cheesy.]

Does overloading her gunspoiler[ take a munch out of her life force or something? That would be my guess.]

Even if I disliked spoiler[Mine] at the start for what it's worth she IS the most developed character in the Night Raid aside from Tatsumi. So I can spoiler[actually see why people would be broken up about her death unlike everyone else who were only liked for their personality and not much else..]

The show was getting good at around the midway mark but now it's going right back downhill to the nonsensical gibberish that I originally took it for since they seem to be cramming an anime original ending into the mix now.
Crying or Very sad
Shikiari

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Okay... I'm refusing to believe that they killed 2/3 of my favourite characters within two weeks, so spoiler[Mine's] still alive... Right?... Right? Crying or Very sad

I don't know but the past two episodes have felt rather rushed. spoiler[Lubbock's death from last week] was kind of brushed under the carpet with just a few very small words and I bet the same will happen to spoiler[Mine]. Weren't they on the flying Manta? So why was Tatsumi running with her at the end? I'd assume the Manta would be faster, but I could be wrong.

Also didn't Najenda say that powering up Susanoo three times was Death for the owner, or is it three times in the same fight? Also Also Esdeath is overpowered and needs a raid group to take her out or Akatsuki. Razz

I'm guessing they are going for an original ending here as the spoiler[Manga is completely different compared to this episode]. (I had it spoilt for me Mad )
gedata

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:16 pm Reply with quote
It's cliche spoiler[death scenes] like this that make me wince, thanks Akame ga Kill. Idk man, the emotional content in this show always misses it's mark for me.

Last edited by gedata on Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:01 am Reply with quote
I wish they were able to continue this into another season, but I am assuming that it will end with this season's final episode. Some people are complaining that it seems rushed, but that's just a reality of a show that accomplishes much with a relatively short run time. For what it's worth, I think AgK has done a pretty great job with giving us just enough of each of these characters that we feel something when they die. Sure it would be nice if AgK could go through 50 episodes before MC deaths start stacking up, but as I said, they don't have that.

I would put this episode at somewhere just above average for the series. All of the major players got screen time and the battles were exciting. I enjoyed seeing Mine showing her strength again, spoiler[even if this was her swan song. There was also some solid atmospherics going on at the end with Mine dying in Tatsumi's arms while the sun sets. Certainly, it would be great to draw things out more between them, but it was still impactful given the time constraints.] Another thing I really liked about spoiler[the scene (other than the sun set, which was beautiful), was that Mine didn't play around any more. She just said "I love you." She knew she wouldn't have another chance. Some shows might not have given us that kind of closure, and it felt good.]

I think the main negative for the episode was spoiler[Susano. If this is the end of him, then it is unfortunate because his development was probably the lowest out of all the Night Raid members. He got a decent amount of interaction with Tatsumi and others, but his character wasn't fleshed out all that well. Since they only have a couple episodes left, I suppose there was no time to give us some backstory for him. That being said, I still found him to be an interesting character and would have liked to see more from him.]
Bugnin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:19 am Reply with quote
Nothing good happens when an anime goes off the reservation to write an original ending...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:17 am Reply with quote
Episode 21

Damn! Damn! Damn!
They spoiler[killed Mine]. We actually had an spoiler[alright romance where the lead was not with arguable female lead, so it was a relationship more of how they were] instead usual expectations. And spoiler[she was killed, protecting the guy she loved], that is not fair. From a story perspective, that was pretty good. If I had one complaint, I would have liked spoiler[to have seen the relationship between them], I want an OVA showing this, it has to happen because it was too off screen.

The hardest bit is really relating all the spoiler[deaths to Tatsumi]. First he lost his childhood friends, then he lost the person supporting him through overcoming that, and then his mentor. As things started to look good he lost the person who helped him get resolve, followed by someone who became a good buddy of his, spoiler[Susanoo had become someone he respected, and in the end he lost his girlfriend]. At this point, I think that the innocence in Tatsumi may be quite hardened, and I think that I know where this is heading. Esdeath is the last big obstacle, and only one person can deal with her, it is Tatsumi, he has lost too much to back down, he has the weight of many things on his back. Esdeath will have to find out that there is no way Tatsumi can care for her.

I know that they are doing their own thing with anime for a while now, and I don't give a damn. There has been nothing that feels like a sudden twist of pace where you can see that it is totally not right, it has kept to the themes and writing does not feel like it has deteriorated. But we also spoiler[lost two heroes this episode, so that is especially hard]. Added note as kind of annoyed that it sounded like spoiler[Esdeath was planning on faking the execution so there was a chance he could have survived].

I actually feel the urge to re-watch the series just to focus on some characters, to soak up the scenes better.
gedata

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:14 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I know that they are doing their own thing with anime for a while now, and I don't give a damn. There has been nothing that feels like a sudden twist of pace where you can see that it is totally not right, it has kept to the themes and writing does not feel like it has deteriorated.

I disagree, the end of the recent assassination arc noticeably left out a huge amount of material (noticed this even before I caught up on the series) so something certainly felt off there. I don't think the writing has deteriorated much either, but that's just because I never thought it was impressive in that regard in the 1st place (thoughts I'll wait till the show's over to expand upon). It's not particularly hard to keep true to the show's themes either since they were simplistic as hell to begin with.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:42 pm Reply with quote
gedata wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:
I know that they are doing their own thing with anime for a while now, and I don't give a damn. There has been nothing that feels like a sudden twist of pace where you can see that it is totally not right, it has kept to the themes and writing does not feel like it has deteriorated.

I disagree, the end of the recent assassination arc noticeably left out a huge amount of material (noticed this even before I caught up on the series) so something certainly felt off there. I don't think the writing has deteriorated much either, but that's just because I never thought it was impressive in that regard in the 1st place (thoughts I'll wait till the show's over to expand upon). It's not particularly hard to keep true to the show's themes either since they were simplistic as hell to begin with.

I don't read the manga. It doesn't feel like they are cutting out something. Maybe they didn't show Wave's fight against Night Raid that's about it. It doesn't matter if they don't follow the manga or cut out some part at this point.
Lain'sHairline

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:39 am Reply with quote
I watched all 21 episodes of this in a span of 2 days, kept my attention but in retrospect a lot quality control things were missing. In this respect it reminds me a lot of Fate Stay Night, yeah they're identical.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:02 am Reply with quote
Lain'sHairline wrote:
I watched all 21 episodes of this in a span of 2 days,

That is harsh bro, seeing so many characters die in a short time.
Lain'sHairline

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:40 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
That is harsh bro, seeing so many characters die in a short time.

The hardest was Chelsea, I KNEW Kurome was way too much for her to handle. Should've waited for backup!
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Episode 22:

Very predictable episode with the spoiler[episode's title. I was hoping the fight would of lasted longer but oh well. The part of the Danger Beast coming in didn't fit right either imo. Shame, it looks like by this point, Wave's role in this adaptation is really cut short. (unless the next episode suggests otherwise).]

Still, it looks like the empire is launching some spoiler[superweapon/Teigu....]

spoiler[RIP Kurome.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:03 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[Wonder who else is gonna die before the anime ends..
Kurome is pretty persistent considering her state.
Flashback to the 2 sisters' past offered some additional info.
Akame vs Kurome!
Didn't seem quite fair considering Kurome is not well.
It didn't feel right either..]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 31 of 35