• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Akame ga Kill! (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:58 am Reply with quote
Episode 3:

Decent episode. They added some spoiler[new content with Mein which basically means Tatsumi's life was in danger there, although comically of course.]

We see some of the other spoiler[Night Raiders' members abilities again and a mini date between Mein/Tatsumi this episode. I find Mein's voice still to be annoying though but her abilities to be interesting.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shikiari

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Pretty good episode.

I was right to like Mein. I was glad that she didn't completely slaughter spoiler[Tatsumi for accidentally seeing her changing] and then ignore him during the "mission", like many other shows. She may not have spoiler[acknowledged him as an assassin of their quality but atleast she saw him as another person.]

Not much else to say, except that spoiler[crazy guy at the end] was well... Crazy!
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:05 pm Reply with quote
I like spoiler[Incursio], looks cool!
spoiler[Tatsumi's first group battle.]
Our MC is growing up slowly ^^
Night Raid sure has no mercy..
When you consider the atrocities others do, I don't blame them.
So spoiler[Mine is Tatsumi's new teacher.
That was more of a shopping trip than anything else.
Damn, she has a violent personality!]

It's horrible what the government is doing to people.
spoiler[Mine's sniping was impressive.
Her life story was as tragic as expected.]

Tatsumi is fitting right in ^^
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Man, I am rilly loving this show. The humour, world and action is right up my alley. Glad this will be a 2-cours.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
humour, world and action is right up my alley.

Agree here. In spite of all the light hearted humor it really seems to be willing to have a real edge to it. There is no sugarcoating of the bad guys here. Victims lose their lives and are tortured, raped and robbed.

Normally I would think this is incongruous but for some reason it works for me here.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, it's starting to bore me now. Other thanspoiler[ the one girl begging for her life killed by the guy with the wires] it's nothing but one note ultra-villiany. Bad guys love killing because they're evil and that's pretty much it. Good guys have their little quirks but despite their statements of knowing that they're murderers and that there's nothing really good about that, the good guys are still "champions of JUSTICE" types. At this point I'll just keep track of this thread to see if it starts getting any actual depth, until it's cut from my queue.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:41 pm Reply with quote
I am having a lot of fun with this show. The mixture of comedy, action, and social commentary is really great. Episode 3 continued nicely on all three fronts.

Although I do often get a bit tired of the tsundere archetype, Mine doesn't seem to come across as annoying like many of them. Sure, she's not the most well developed character, but I like her enough so far.

I am also more than a little intrigued about exactly what this show wants to do with this social commentary angle. I think the concept of the "immoral 1%" is probably more relevant these days than in the past, with the worldwide impacts of the recession still being felt. We see it in Hollywood movies as well, with "The Purge" and "The Purge: Anarchy" hitting the theaters over the last year. Since this doesn't appear to be a particularly intellectually focused show, I doubt the issue will be explored that deeply and will mainly just provide us with a bunch of cartoonish villains, but that being said, I still feel like dealing with that subject in such an overt manner causes this show to stand out a bit.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:44 pm Reply with quote
It's not working for me very well. It's not that I object to blending comedy and dark and gritty drama, but their mixology skills are seriously lacking in the necessary finesse to pull it off.

You know how it's frustrating and annoying when some character is reading a book or letter that Will Reveal All, or a couple is closing in for The Kiss and at that very moment there's invariably a knock at the door, or someone barges in, or something blows up just before the payoff? That's how this feels to me, over and over and over again.

Every single time there's a moment where I should be feeling something, they cut me off with a lame joke before I can even start to process that feeling. So the comedy falls flat because I resent its intrusion instead of welcoming its relief, and the grit is lost because it never has a chance to penetrate more than skin deep. In a nutshell, their timing really sucks.

I'm not ready to drop it yet, but I don't know if I can hold out for two cour if they don't figure out how to combine these elements in a less ham-fisted manner.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Other thanspoiler[ the one girl begging for her life killed by the guy with the wires] it's nothing but one note ultra-villiany.

You did realize that the guy with the wires was one of the "good guys," right?
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:41 pm Reply with quote
??Confused??
Yes... which is why it's an exception. That's why I wrote "other than."
Jacquipuff

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:48 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I'm liking Mine more now, just needed to spend more screentime with her, like I hoped.

Bulat was awesome in action, just as I expected. All of them seem to have really cool weapons, actually. Looking forward to seeing what particular special abilities they all have.

And so we actually get to see that awful Prime Minister for the first time...basically the same kind of villain as the others we've seen so far (evil for evil's sake and all that), but the fact that he's the one directly controlling the child Emperor makes him worse. I'd say I look forward to him getting what's coming to him, but I doubt that'll be happening anytime soon.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:11 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

Mine improved a little, although I expected a little bit more heavy handed in terrible past. One part I found really interesting was showing that the good guys (assassins) spoiler[could show no mercy], that the guy had to spoiler[finish off the nice looking girl begging to let her live]. That is a good way to set itself apart.

And is the Prime minister spoiler[eating people]?
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:41 pm Reply with quote
If there’s anything that one can get out of Akame ga Kill every week that’s guaranteed, it’s the entertainment factor.

Sadly that’s all it’s ever going to be at this rate. None of Tatsumi’s developments feel remotely genuine, I don’t see a reason to get behind our heroes when their sadistic methods of killing are only justified because all the villains are “I’M SO EVIL!” and the characters don’t have any real defining depth to them.

This episode focused on Mine (the tsundere) who’s relationship with Tatsumi was easily predictable. This episode i was thinking spoiler[“alright when is Tatsumi going to save her which of course will raise her opinion of him in just one episode”.] And of course that exact thing ended up happening. But the way they did it lacked consistency. Someone tried to spoiler[sneak up on her before in the episode and failed.] Yeah she was aided by the scissors girl but she spoiler[still saw him coming.] But this episode she was suddenly completely oblivious to spoiler[the martial artist dude.] Given her experience i doubt she wouldn’t be spoiler[able to see him coming.] But of course they needed Tatsumi and her to bond as quickly as possible so we are expected to ignore that stuff. Not to mention I don’t understand why the guy didn’t just spoiler[pick up or throw Tatsumi which given his strength (he caught Tatsumi's sword swing so easily before) would have been a snap.]

The way they constantly gloss over every characters backstory makes me think they just want the audience to get the gist of their motivation but don’t want it to seem that important. So it’s basically just giving the very barebones to justify their behavior. Doing this doesn’t make me care about any of them. Just saying “some bad stuff happened so I joined a group of justice killers” isn’t good enough. It seems like they just want to focus on the silly battles instead of giving us a reason not to write these characters off as a bunch psychopaths that get off on killing.

In that regard I don’t feel Akame ga Kill is nearly mature enough to try to be tackling the themes it presents. It hinges on pure shock value of how cruel the world is which is supposed to make us get behind these bland characters as they make unnecessary jokes while cutting people up. Makes for a rather unsober series.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:10 am Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
I don’t see a reason to get behind our heroes when their sadistic methods of killing are only justified because all the villains are “I’M SO EVIL!” and the characters don’t have any real defining depth to them.

You don't need a reason. They are not heroes. They know they are committing murder. They all laughed when Tatsumi mentioned justice.

Quote:

But the way they did it lacked consistency. Someone tried to spoiler[sneak up on her before in the episode and failed.] Yeah she was aided by the scissors girl but she spoiler[still saw him coming.] But this episode she was suddenly completely oblivious to spoiler[the martial artist dude.] Given her experience i doubt she wouldn’t be spoiler[able to see him coming.]

Well the first batch of enemies were basically scrubs. The 5 guards all were trained under the strongest Imperial martial arts. Not to mention that guy was a former master.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:24 am Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:

Sadly that’s all it’s ever going to be at this rate. None of Tatsumi’s developments feel remotely genuine, I don’t see a reason to get behind our heroes when their sadistic methods of killing are only justified because all the villains are “I’M SO EVIL!” and the characters don’t have any real defining depth to them.

Right, did you see how evil that one spoiler[girl who was scared, had no muscles and lacked any malice on her face].
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 35