• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tokyo Ghoul (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jacquipuff

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:26 pm Reply with quote
There were so many well done scenes in this episode: Hinami spoiler[using her kagune], followed by her spoiler[crying how she misses her parents], both sides questioning each other, Touka's fight...and then at the end, just when it seems as though everything has wound down, spoiler[Touka takes off Mado's glove and sees the wedding ring, and realizes that she has just killed someone's husband/father.] So many emotions in one episode.

As for the origin of ghouls, I wouldn't really be surprised if it's never explained, but I'd be happy if it was. I'd imagine they'd be more likely to be some sort of human mutation, rather than a creation, since other than the need to eat human flesh and the kagune they seem virtually identical (identical enough that Kaneki's body didn't reject Rize's organs, at any rate).
LewisLe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:30 am Reply with quote
I just can't stop replaying the op! I even searched for the piano version on youtube.... am I alone here?
Lain'sHairline

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:47 am Reply with quote
LewisLe wrote:
I just can't stop replaying the op! I even searched for the piano version on youtube.... am I alone here?

I liked it for about a week and a half then trashed it.
thebeats42

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:12 am Reply with quote
LewisLe wrote:

I still like the opening. Has been on repeat for a while now xD
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:29 am Reply with quote
Well hello there, spoiler[Touka's lil bro.]

What surprised me was the amazing cast that came out in this episode! Tachibana, ItouKen, Kaji kyun, and more! Whoa~

That parrot cracked me up. Anime hyper
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:57 am Reply with quote
Episode 9:

Poor spoiler[Amon. I think he will get over Mado's death soon but it'll take awhile. I sense some battles coming soon. And also, we get to see some of Touka's flashbacks. Good to see Itori back I guess. I really wonder how this show will proceed with the remaining episodes though. It really feels like they are squeezing this into a single 1 cour.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:27 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Mado & Amon] history.
That spoiler[Amon] sure was naive at first.
Just like any newbie, I guess..
spoiler[Hinami] seems to be holding up well.
spoiler[Her & Touka roommates]. At least they won't feel as lonely.
spoiler[Ken got pickpocketed by some weird guy.
Amon got a new partner & a transfer.
Touka's childhood]
flashback was sweet.
Looks like spoiler[Touka's brother] is gonna visit next time.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Despite my previous skepticism on this show, I was actually loving this episode quite a lot until maybe the last 2 minutes or so. The emotional parts were much more subtle than in episode 8, and they felt more natural and less dramatized. The flashbacks were all pretty nice. Nothing felt overdone... until the last 2 minutes lol. spoiler[We got very quickly introduced to 2 new potential villains. The first guy seemed to come completely out of no-where, and the second (Touka's little brother) was brought in with one of those usual heavy-hand introductions of him licking blood off his arm after killing some people. Subtlety was thrown to the wind ;0]
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:34 pm Reply with quote
I'd say that's simply the case of the show being rushed. It bothered me how they were introduced as well but nothing game breaking.

Episode 9

This might be a long shot of a guess but could we assume that the spoiler[white haired girl and boy are Mado's Wife and child?] I think it would make sense since Touka still has been shaken by the fact she took their father away from them. Thespoiler[ kid] certainly had that spoiler[Mado vibe] about him as well. I mean seriously ANYONE who is the spoiler[son of freaking Mado] has to be a bit on the crazy side Razz. Touka meeting them seems like it's being heavily foreshadowed though I think that development might be a stretch depending spoiler[Mado's background] which we have yet to properly see.

Speaking of Mado I liked that flashback of him and Amon meeting. It pretty much shows why Amon eventually spoiler[became like he was now] not caring about Ghouls even if they appear innocent since they are very good at deceiving humans. It's been obvious to me that Amon was never really a heartless guy on the degree of Mado when it came to ghouls but I wish the flashback went on for a bit longer so they could properly show when Amon made the switch to being a dedicated Ghoul killer.
Jacquipuff

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Wow, lots of new things and new faces this episode. That creepy boy who spoiler[pickpocketed Kaneki], a woman who spoiler[is almost definitely related to Mado], some new CCG members, and a whole bunch of people, spoiler[including Touka's younger brother, who are all looking for Rize, which suggests that news of her death hasn't reached very far yet.] Is this show really going to be only 12 episodes? Because this seems like a lot of stuff to introduce with only 3 episodes to go...

Well, in spite of that, this was still another good episode. It was actually rather touching to see spoiler[how much Amon really cared about Mado. He might have been creepy, but I suppose even he couldn't have been all bad.] I also really liked spoiler[the short flashback to Touka's past. Such a happy family...I suppose it was probably the CCG who put an end to that.]
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:32 am Reply with quote
This week sure had me cringing. spoiler[Poor Kaneki...]
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:53 am Reply with quote

spoiler[Aogiri Tree made their move.
Clumsy Ken managed to knock put a guy by accident ROFL
Search for Rize is getting more intense and closer to the truth.
Ayato & Touka, brother & sister reunion.
It wasn't a happy one though..
Government guys were practically throwing a fit over Aogiri Tree.
Suzuya's little visit
Seems like they are looking for Rize and poor Kaneki smells just like her...
Ayato vs Touka. She's so weak compared to him.
Yamori/Jason kicked the shit out of Kaneki & kidnapped him too.
Aogiri Tree is the summary of the strongest ghouls.
Getting Kaneki back is gonna be nearly impossible.
Tsukiyama is back in the game too..]
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Lol, the pacing of this series is just dreadful. I am just hoping the show doesn't end on a big cliffhanger now that spoiler[CCG, Aogiri Tree, and the ghouls are on the move. Pray that Kaneki will be recused although it won't be easy at all.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lain'sHairline

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Lol guess I was the only one who thought this was the best episode yet. TG is full of pitfalls but I've taken to ignore them all to get some value out of this lemon.

Jason is my favorite ghoul, hahaha goes around putting his dick in the peanut butter, like a champ.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:29 am Reply with quote
More cringing this week. Poor, poor Kaneki........

What the heck are they going to do in the finale? Can't believe next week is the last episode already.

(Edit: Fixed typo.)

Last edited by crosswithyou on Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 15