• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tokyo Ghoul (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
One-Eye

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:45 pm Reply with quote
I don't know. I was overall happy with the first episode, but so far the show has been feeling a little choppy to me. I'm worried that its going to suffer from compression syndrome as they try to fit too many chapters into too few episodes. Is this supposed to be 12 episodes or 24-26? I'm willing to stick it out, but I am a little worried as far as what I've seen so far.
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:22 pm Reply with quote
It's definitely 1 cour going by this episode. This actually a condensed version of half another arc which was pushed to forefront.
dudebro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure why Okabe killed Daru like that. Maybe he didn't want to see him gain any more weight, and decided to put him out of his misery. Or maybe his chuunibyou got the best of him.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:47 am Reply with quote
I gotta say while this episode had it's moments it was easily the weakest episode we've gotta so far. It was completely dedicated to Tsukiyama's nightmare educing personality. What happened to those guys who were owning ghouls with suitcases? I can agree the focus has been a little shaky and the pacing issues are coming pretty strong. Though I suppose we did learn a few things like just how rare people like Kaneki are and that Ghouls detest the act of cannibalism (of each other). That makes me think there HAS to be a ghoul out there who is going to feast on other ghouls similar to spoiler[Trinity Blood where there were vampires who feast on the blood of other vampires]. As much as i love Kaneki this episode did make him look really dumb spoiler[falling for such an obvious trap.]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:19 am Reply with quote
I wish the show would hurry up and give Kaneki that kick-ass mask we see in the OP.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:43 am Reply with quote
^

I wonder if the white haired Kaneki in the end of the OP is his awoken form or something.
Nocturne123

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:56 pm Reply with quote
bleh. I really liked the first EP but its been kinda downhill from there. Im going to give it another episode and if it doesnt improve I think Im going to drop it.

I feel like the show kinda meandered for the last couple eps and the latest episode just kinda bothered me. Really didn't like the antagonist of this ep.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:28 am Reply with quote
Holy crap Touka was friggin' AWESOME in this week's episode. Got me feeling sorry for Nishiki too.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:08 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[Tsukiyama haunting Ken in his dreams LOL
I seem to be missing the part where Ken actually goes to school.
Did he quit or did they just skip that part of the story?
Yoriko's little visit to Touka's place was ROFL
I don't get why she would actually eat the food since it's disgusting to ghouls.
Maybe that shows how much she actually cares about her friend.
Guess Ken's training helped with Nishiki situation.
Shame they skipped the training part too.
I knew Ken wouldn't get rid of Tsukiyama that easily.
He conveniently used Kimi to trap him.
I wonder how is that guy so strong..
Didn't know ghouls can grow up. Interesting.
Can't wait to see Touka kick his ass next time!]
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:17 pm Reply with quote
They also skipped some other stuff. This pretty much implies the show will be a one cour at this point.

I did enjoy watching the action and OST though especially since spoiler[Gourmet is the main player in this arc. And despite the arc being rushed right now, I find his expressive speeches to be priceless to watch. I also feel a bit sorry for Nishiki in this episode after seeing more bits of his life.] The next episode should be epic if done right. I hope they won't skip any important parts.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jacquipuff

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I actually feel sorry for Nishiki now. I still don't like him much, but I dislike him less than I did. spoiler[He's never gonna get back to full strength at this rate, though.]

Tsukiyama continues to be over the top and ridiculous, but I'm still finding him really creepy.

Looks like next episode could be pretty cool.
dudebro

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:17 am Reply with quote
Kaneki is the master of making poor decisions. If he went to medical school he'd probably end up doing brain surgery with a spoon.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:12 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[Touka taught Tsukiyama a lesson.
Nishiki was persistent even in his state.
Guess he really cares for Kimi a lot.
Kimi managed to surprise Touka ^^
So the coffee shop got another employee.
For Nishiki it's definitely a change for the better.
So Hinami's dad was a ghoul too until he became collateral damage.
Wow! Doves vs Jason! Sweet weapons & fight.
Touka was feeling down for being soft.. what a weird reason.
Damn, in the end the rest of the family became a target too.
That felt kinda unfair.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:41 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

They were seriously able to spoiler[use child drawings to track them down]? What was the point of spoiler[going away from him if those guys were able to track them down so easily anyway]?

From a story point of view and seeing the spoiler[death flags I want her to end up losing both parents, but from a personal level I really hope that her mother survives].

Also the censoring early in the episode did not cover it up artistically, but made it really hard to watch or understand. And based on the roof scene the light should not have even been possible.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:47 am Reply with quote
The spoiler[death flags were waving a bit too hard] this episode. You could see things coming from ten miles away. I do think the drama at the very end of the episode was still captivating enough to create a proper cliffhanger, but the emotional aspect and tension in much of the rest of the episode felt way overdone. They really milked Hinami for all she's worth this episode, to the point that several scenes were excessive on the sentimentality.

So far, the Hinami character has functioned primarily as a device to show how sweet Kaneki is. This episode, spoiler[she was a device to show how ruthless and perhaps evil the ghoul investigators are.] There are hints of an aspirational character with her in the way that she is trying to learn to read despite not being able to go to school, but aside from that she seems very limited to the two devices mentioned above. That's probably why this episode didn't evoke much of a strong reaction from me. If I were a moe aficionado, maybe it would have been better, but I'm not. I suppose maybe that's really her main purpose in this show, to play to the moe otaku.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 15