• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tokyo Ghoul (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shikiari

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:20 pm Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
As much as i loved this episode I can definitely say it would have been better suited as last season's finale. No harm done though.

This and...
Quote:
Oh and Kaneki and his cheeky badassery makes me giggle like a school girl.

...this!

The new OP didn't really do anything for me if I'm being honest... Maybe it's a grower? Excellent episode, the action and animation was great whilst the plot is throwing up more unexpected surprises.
Roll on next week!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:34 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 1

You really can't expect someone to go through that and come out the same person, and he certainly has not come out the same. Although the fallout only being now in the second season makes it feel a bit too disconnected, kind of makes me think of Shakugan no Shana's last season which had a big problem.

The people who were supposedly bad outside of the obvious psychos also seem like they have more to them than we thought. It looks like this will be a different season at least.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Good eppie. Gawd, I love me them slick production values. I wish Kaneki would have been a bit more spoiler[understanding with Touka:

*drops bombshell, then leaves silently*]

...but he has had a tough night at the office, so I'll cut him some slack.

Anyway, good start to a series I had soured on a bit due to its torture revelry/lack of resolution in the finale of season 1.
Brett-Butler

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Has the new season been picked up for streaming in the UK? Wakanim had the stream for the first season but doesn't seem to have bothered with this one, and Funimation is only available in the US apparently.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:27 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Then again their weapons are made from the Kagune's of ghouls and I think only decently powerful ghouls have those in the first place so they might be tricky to get a hold of. Bleh just theory-crafting here. Hope there is some clarity on that though. The bullet proof vests don't exactly do much when ghouls can just impale them or shoot them with their Kagune's which have much more power than normal bullets.

I have no inside knowledge on it, but yeah, I would chalk it up to them likely being difficult to produce in quantity, and also probably dangerous to use. Even the "base" mode could still be risky for all we know, and without proper testing, they could cause more harm than good. It's kinda like saying to a modern soldier, "we have this new body armor that works by explosively flinging armor panels out to deflect shots, which could allow you to take just about any bullet or even a rocket launcher and survive it, buuuuut it might just implode your internal organs, we aren't sure, haven't done the proper testing yet. You want in?"
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:10 pm Reply with quote
season 2 should be alot better than season 1, atleast for me that is. I always love overpower bad ass main characters. hate weak MC.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 2:

Not much happening in terms of spoiler[action but we do get a re-introduction of the other main characters including Hinami and Amon. Now I wonder how Kaneki will be able to handle the responsibility, to be teamed up with those ghouls...]

spoiler[Touka seems to be a bit busy herself too.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Things went back to normal, more or less.
It was pretty quiet this time too.
More time was dedicated to investigators & the aftermath.
We didn't get to see much of Kaneki..
Next episode could offer more excitement.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:33 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 2

A few things spotted in the episode to think about. The doves mentioned in the past aspoiler[ big bad ghoul by the name of the Owl, and implication seems to be that it is the owner of the café]. We saw two other [spoiler]one-eyed ghouls, so we know that there are more like him[, maybe someone making more(/spoiler].

On another note I kind of miss the goofy bits that were at the end of episodes.

Last edited by DuskyPredator on Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:57 am Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 3:
Hmm, it was an alright episode. spoiler[Hinami looks adorable in those clothes while Hide has a meeting with Touka. I'm curious to see what other roles he'll play for this season. Hoping for the best.]

And as for impressions, spoiler[I think Gourmet made quite the presence there in the second half. Kaneki seems to be adapting well with Aogiri Tree though.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Making a move.
spoiler[One-eyed ghouls made an appearance.]
Looks like they have some interest in spoiler[Kaneki].
Touka getting the spoiler[college experience.]. sort of.
Things were pretty calm though.
Felt more like a preparation for something more.
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:27 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed the episode, but while this pacing is much more enjoyable for me, I have no goddamn idea how in only 9 episodes with this pacing is going to develop and conclude around 20 active characters right now with a few more still yet to be introduced Confused I hope this is not becoming over-ambitious to its own sake that it's going to end abruptly.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 3

More than someone spoiler[making more half ghouls out of people, the girls seemed to have the exact same power as Kaneki], which has me think they are actually spoiler[still using Rize's body]. I wonder if we will get some reveal that spoiler[Rize is still alive]? We have some focus on other characters, but not quite the emotional and psychological part that was making some parts of the first season so effective.

It would also appear that the girl spoiler[covered in bandages is probably the author we saw in this episode], which might mean something but I can't quite see what. If it was that he was a spoiler[fan of he author], then maybe that is something.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:03 am Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 4:

Finally, spoiler[business picked up this episode.]

I thought spoiler[Amon did a decent job fighting. Same with Mado. Not sure how I feel about Kaneki fighting although I do think his powers have gotten better control since he fought on-screen from season 1. The fight involving him was a bit fast though imo and I bet that hit he took directly to the stomach hurt like hell. Overall a good way to deliver after the buildup with this group against the investigators. Kaneki also took quite a beating.... but we'll see if he can get his payback next time.]
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:47 pm Reply with quote
A small part of spoiler[Amon's past got revealed.]
Guess you can never run far enough from a messed up past.
No wonder spoiler[he became an investigator.
Aogiri attack]
came at an interesting time.
That spoiler[ghoul prison] sure offered a whole bunch of interesting characters.
So the spoiler[halfling twins know Juzo... intriguing.
Kaneki proved once more that he's a weakling..]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 15