• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tokyo Ghoul (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:02 am Reply with quote
I agree the emotional manipulation was a bit ham-fisted this episode. However, despite the lack of a deft touch, it did succeed in tickling my sense of pathos, but my reaction would have been stronger had they done a better job with it.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
but my reaction would have been stronger had they done a better job with it.

With you there. On the list of tropes I hate is the one where the kit WILL NOT LISTEN while running and chanting "daddy daddy" or "mommy mommy" or some such and causing something horrible to happen. And they relied on it here. Phooey.

Actually, I thought Touka was quite pretty as well.

That Jason is bad news, but somehow I have ended up liking him more than those box carriers.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

That Jason is bad news, but somehow I have ended up liking him more than those box carriers.

Something to due with there demeanor of being more monstrous than Jason who simply was just acting like the Yakuza stereotype he resembled, both sides are bad news but Jason at least has the excuse that he is a man eating monster, the agents just seem to have already become as bad if not worst than the monsters they hunt.
batou37

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:29 pm Reply with quote
So has it been established yet whether or not the white haired character in the op is kaneki after some type of fundamental change in personality and demeanor? I only ask because i'm barely hanging with this show due to my intense dislike of how he is now. Touka is pretty much the only reason i'm still sticking with it as is. He just comes off as a very weak and ignorant MC to me. I can understand being shocked or surprised like he is when things happen to him at first, but it just seems even though he has been living in the "ghoul world" for a while now he simply refuses to accept how people truly are and what his situation is and it frustrates me to no end. The only good point I see in him is when he's helping people like Hinami with reading or his little talk through the door with touka in the latest ep.
OH&S

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:09 pm Reply with quote
^
This all depends on how the anime adapts it but there will be a huge payoff in regards to Kaneki's character and the appearance of the white haired individual in the OP. But your observations about Kaneki are correct as of now.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:25 am Reply with quote
Episode 7:

I want to give Hinami a hug. Becoming an spoiler[orphan isn't easy in this world. Anyways, we see more of time from the Dove's side as Mado goes on the attack again. I honestly think he is one of the best Ghoul Investigators in this entire series right now.]

The episode felt fast though. I like how spoiler[Kaneki finally put that mask] on. It's about damn time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:17 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[Hinami managed to get away.
Her mom wasn't so lucky.
It was a good thing Kaneki was in the vicinity.
If it wasn't for him, she be dead too.
Touka had the strongest reaction to the whole thing.
It was nice to see Doves got attacked for a change.
That older guy sure can dodge.
Was not surprised Touka did the attacking..
Guess it was too much for her to not do anything.
They showed us how the other side lives.
The younger half of the doves pair seems like a good guy.
Looks like they just think of ghouls are monsters & nothing else.
Finally, Kaneki is changing his image.
About time too.]
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:54 pm Reply with quote
I agree that Kaneki is kind of annoying to me right now. He is basically the typical whiny/emo male lead who is weak unless he totally loses it. That's one of the character types that I personally dislike, because their development seems to drag on forever. It's kind of similar to the reason I didn't really like Madoka as a character even though I loved the show, because she was mostly useless for the vast majority of the show.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:37 am Reply with quote
Finally, the mask is there.

I like how they tried reminding us (even if it was only for a few seconds) of the ghouls being man-eating monsters who kill people's parents and spouses through those bits and pieces on the investigators's side of things. Miyano's character aside, I though we were getting a bit too comfortable in that cafe with our sweet little bunch of likable ex-killers. Sure, that white haired lunatic should better be terminated some time soon for everyone's sake, but what did spoiler[the office worker Touka murdered] have to do with anything? He looked about as guilty as spoiler[Hinami's parents]. Way to go to get "revenge", girl.

With one side regarding the other as food and subhuman (subghoul, rather) and the other side regarding them as monsters incapable of genuine feelings (or rights), it's hard for me to pick the ghouls' side of things (which the show is obviously wanting us to at this point). I'm mostly observing, without getting emotionally engaged in any significant way.

I have no problem with Kaneki being weak and confused, at least he's showing things like loyalty and isn't completely passive.

I'd like to see more of the investigators' side of the picture, without white haired lunatic representing them as a bunch of evil nut jobs. He's really boring me at this point.

Last edited by Knoepfchen on Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:07 am Reply with quote
Episode 7

Investigators: Those Ghouls are spoiler[emotionless monsters who create orphans, and how dare one attack one of us, all we did lately was kill a mother and create an orphan. It was a good thing we were saved in partial by one of our guys playing on the emotions of the one that attacked us, surely was proof that Ghouls do not have emotions.]

I liked the new images for the ED, they were much more interesting.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:59 am Reply with quote
I love this show so much. I'm glad that the pacing is much more stable again because i was starting to get worried.

It’s great how all the characters acknowledge that what they are doing can easily be considered wrong while also seeing that the humans are also not wrong for wanting them gone. However when personal feelings come into play that’s when a characters maturity comes to light. I thought it was pretty selfish for Touka to try to spoiler[take revenge on those guys] because not only did shespoiler[ kill an innocent person] but she risked exposing all the ghouls at the cafe had spoiler[her mask broken.] But i liked what Kankei said. He can understand how Touka felt as well as understanding why the doves aren’t wrong in simply doing their job. However when people close to him get hurt that’s when he feels people aren’t wrong for wanting to do something about it. While this may sound harsh that’s actually how humans typically think. When you see someone die on the news do you rush off to demand the killer be found even though you don’t know them? Of course not. Now compare that to someone close to you dying like a husband or family member. You can bet your reaction is going to change.

She made her choice and now must take responsibility for it even though she knew it was wrong. Lucky that she had Kankei around to keep her from straying to far off the correct path. It’s a shame he couldn’t do anything during the spoiler[mother’s fight] but in hindsight if he had blindly charged in spoiler[him and the mothers daughter would have ended up dead.] Given that even spoiler[Touka couldn’t beat the guy] him rushing in there wouldn’t have changed a thing. Still can’t wait for him to give that crazy inspector what for.

Speaking of which Amon……..doesn’t really seem like a bad guy. In fact I’d say he’s an ideal person for this job. Heck even the crazy inspector obviously cares a great deal about him since he’s protected in both fights where he almost died. The two probably share a history together but I think there is more to their relationship that meets the eye. Amon didn’t like the idea of taking a spoiler[child away from her mother so I don’t think he’s as heartless as his inspector partner.] Sure I know that them being uncaring of ghouls makes complete sense for the dirty job they have to do but it’s nice to see Amon showing some development as a villain.

As you’ve seen from this series Ghouls will blend into society in order to lure humans into a false sense of security. Kankei experienced this first hand. So i don’t think it’s unreasonable for there to be a bit of a gap between treating them as they would normal humans. Because they aren’t. They pose a threat to humans just by being alive. And it’s not like they know that not all ghouls kill people to get their food (like the people at the cafe). Yeah it’s racism but it’s UNDERSTANDABLE racism. We can sympathize with ghouls because we are seeing their side of the story. What do you think humans see? The superficial surface. Ghouls eat people and are evil. That’s all they can see. But for the first time amon saw how messed up his job was when he came across this mother and daughter situation. They genuinely loved each other like normal human beings. Which served to mess with his trained state of mind to only see them as enemies. Hence why he is now determined to change the way things are so no more innocent people have to die.

We have been looking through the perspective of Ghouls the entire time while little has been shown on why humans hate ghouls. This episode shows why people come to misunderstandings about each race. As you can see spoiler[an innocent person was killed by a ghoul because she wanted revenge on the mother’s killers.] However spoiler[she took it out on the wrong people] (sure he was involved in the case but he wasn’t the one who did the deed) which served to contribute to further hatred people have for ghouls. Ghouls are NOT humans. That’s something we need to simply understand about this society. However that does not mean we cannot sympathize with them like we would normal people. Not all Ghouls are evil but all Ghouls have to eat humans in order to survive. As long as that is the case it is likely that they will never be properly accepted in society.

I know I’m kind of rambling now but I’d also like to point out how Kaneki’s naive character has contributed greatly to how he see’s the world. Because Kaneki is naive he as seen on many occasions how cruel, evil and manipulating Ghouls can be. This allows him to understand why humans fear ghouls. However upon witnessing the Doves spoiler[killing the mother] he can now see that they can be JUST as cruel, why Touka felt so strongly about taking revenge on them as well as knowing how it feels to not be able to do anything about the situation. Some people get annoyed with this kind of character but I think he fits PERFECTLY in this kind of tale.

I really like how the show tries to make humans and ghouls feelings on each other understandable. It's almost impossible to say who is right or wrong which is what I like to see.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:22 pm Reply with quote
^^ TG is turning out to be a pretty good exposition on the nature of bigotry.

The Doves think all ghouls are evil and sub-human so anything done to them no matter how awful it looks doesn't matter. Even to inoffensive mothers and children. (Pretty much how Nazis looked at the Jews).

The ghouls think all humans are nothing but food that is unfortunately too numerous and too powerful to dominate except in isolation.

And then there are the exceptions to the two above rules, which is where our story comes from.
Lain'sHairline

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:48 pm Reply with quote
That dove with the screwed up eyes is insufferable. A turnip head who blathers on and on and on, I hope he gets bisected soon.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:12 am Reply with quote
Episode 8:

The action was good this episode and it told a story on two fronts. I feel bad for spoiler[Mado though. He is actually one of my favorite Ghoul Investigators in this entire series. Shame....]

spoiler[Hinami] also shows a bit of herself as well. About time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:52 am Reply with quote

spoiler[Hinami missing.
Doves on the loose.
It's like just asking for trouble.
Of course the worts kind of trouble found them.
Kaneki decided to be a diversion.
He sucked at that.. was weak even against a relative newbie dove.
Touka was up against the old guy. Not an easy task.
It was nice to see Kaneki get serious after all those displays of weakness.
Hinami showed she can fight too!
This episode had a nice amount of action.
Finally, those doves are finished.
Well, at least the older one is done for.
The younger might return seeking revenge..]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 15