• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Soul Eater Not! (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:00 pm Reply with quote

Soul Eater Not! (TV)

Genres: action, comedy, supernatural

Plot Summary: Soul Eater Not! is a side-story to the main series, focusing on a freshman halberd named Tsugumi Harudori, who befriends two other meisters, Meme Tatane and Anya Hepburn. All three take part in the NOT (Normally Overcome Target) class at DWMA and learn to control their powers in order to overcome their difficulties to have a normal life, as opposed to the battle-oriented EAT (Especially Advanced Talent) class taken by Maka, Soul, and their companions.
----------------------------------

Episode 1: And it begins! Moka got a whole lot cuter. I'm surprisingly enjoying this more than I had thought with all the cuteness around. Those school uniforms seems a bit normal though. Still, it's a cute series so far.

Bones handles the production of this show so I expect a great deal from them. I think it has potential though and that OP song is catchy in a way. I mean, the way the main girl dances with the others....and such. The Soul Eater school and sun still remains intact so this takes place in the same setting. On another note, that class looks more fun than DWMA imo. Well, not easy but fun.

It was also nice to see spoiler[Death the Kid] imo in the first episode. He's my favorite in the show. As for spoiler[Maka, she made an impression for the students so I wonder how much more she will be an inspiration for Harudori at the school.] Some of the guys at that school are jerks though tbh :S
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:

It was also nice to see spoiler[Death the Kid] imo in the first episode.

WHAT.
Well, now I am forced to be a part of this.
Bolaum

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:43 pm Reply with quote
First episode: I enjoyed it but I have to watch it illegally since Funimation is not available in my country. I coulda sworn I hated Maka's new looking but now that I saw it in the anime she looks ok (tho I still prefer from the first Soul Eater) and Black Star looks so.....buffed haha. I loved the opening and I can't wait for more.

I've never watched any slice of life so if I enjoy SE:NOT I may consider looking for more stuffs like that.

Last edited by Bolaum on Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:53 pm Reply with quote
This is so on my To-Do list. Soul Eater was one of the best titles of its years.

It will be great to see the characters again and with Maka as a senpai no less.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:57 am Reply with quote
Well, it's nice seeing the world and characters from Soul Eater again. Maka is awesome in any incarnation, isn't she? That was a great intro!

About the actual show, I like Tsugumi a lot. She's a very relatable lead, and she's easy to root for. Meme and Anya are such cardboard Ditz and Rich Tsundere archetypes they almost suck all the goodwill I feel towards the show for Tsugumi's pleasant nature. If they can gain actual personalities, I'll be more interested.

It would also be a plus if this show can have a semblance of plot, even if it's episodic. I'm not expecting action, but, for example, the first episode really worked because it focused on Tsugumi's fears about going to a new school in a foreign country and controlling her powers. A basic focus like that will make this show a lot more interesting than "join a club, eat cake, crack jokes". (I don't watch many SOL shows, so if I'm way off, let me know, but that's my impression of most of them).
Clarste

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:29 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Meme and Anya are such cardboard Ditz and Rich Tsundere archetypes they almost suck all the goodwill I feel towards the show for Tsugumi's pleasant nature. If they can gain actual personalities, I'll be more interested.

I think this is an interesting criticism, because Soul Eater has always defined its characters by loud and crippling character flaws. Is Meme's inability to hold a thought in her head or Anya's always saying the opposite of what she means really that different from Kid's OCD or Black Star's megalomania? I think they're both exaggerated enough to fit in.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:40 am Reply with quote
Well I have seen the first several episodes of the original series, although I own the first 26. The reason I lost the urge to watch is that I just did not really feel a strong need to with how wacky it is.

Episode 1

But this feel much more grounded and will probably easier to watch, I am probably not going to get some things though. I am sure a bunch of you will tell me to finish the first series, but to be completely honest this first episode grabbed my attention much better than Soul Eater. I think the reason is that this felt like it eased its way from reality to the magic stuff, while the original just threw us into it with strange geometry. And on a shallow note I am probably more of a fan on the moe element.
Bolaum

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:11 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Well I have seen the first several episodes of the original series, although I own the first 26. The reason I lost the urge to watch is that I just did not really feel a strong need to with how wacky it is.

Episode 1

But this feel much more grounded and will probably easier to watch, I am probably not going to get some things though. I am sure a bunch of you will tell me to finish the first series, but to be completely honest this first episode grabbed my attention much better than Soul Eater. I think the reason is that this felt like it eased its way from reality to the magic stuff, while the original just threw us into it with strange geometry. And on a shallow note I am probably more of a fan on the moe element.

As far as I know SE:NO is mostly a world builder so you could watch the original after this one is over. Of course it's all up to you Razz
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:38 am Reply with quote
Clarste wrote:
I think this is an interesting criticism, because Soul Eater has always defined its characters by loud and crippling character flaws.

Absolutely 43x this. Of course almost every good story does this to some extent but the Soul Eater world allows these flaws to be the center of the story. And the required pairings even amplify this effect. Has there ever been anyone ever who hasn't said poor Tsubaki why is she paired with such an idiot? Or commiserated with Liz?

On another topic: Death city is in Nevada? I don't know why that is funny but it is.

So can two meisters share a weapon? It looks like that's where they are headed. We have a threesome in Kid/Liz/Patty but that's MWW. Would WMM work?
Clarste

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:46 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
On another topic: Death city is in Nevada? I don't know why that is funny but it is.

It's located in the middle of Death Valley. Obviously.
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Not too sure what to think of this show. Its not bad, I enjoyed it alright, but it is definitely different. I knew it was a slice of life spin-off, but I didn't expect it to be this drastic a change in style, in theme and art

I dont mind that it has a different approach really, but its weird to see this shounen, strange halloween world in a style that looks very KyoAni and realistic to me when it feels it should be more surreal and weird. We have our main character who is much more grounded in reality compared to the rest of the soul eater, then we see characters like Black Star showing up punching someone through a wall while being loud and brash. It feels like watching k-on, then all of a sudden Naruto jumps the window, rasengans a dude through the wall, and then proclaims how he'll be hokage while shouting "dattebayo!", yet he is still drawn and animated in the K-on style.

Its all incredibly jarring, and feels like it doesnt mix that well. Maybe Im too used to soul eater, maybe its cause the show isnt mixing the world well enough, maybe its a lil of both.

That said, I did enjoy watching it, characters are likable, it got a laugh outta me, and was entertaining. I'll stick with it for now
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:17 pm Reply with quote
This was decent but not much more, like someone said MC is great but other two girl are incredibly uninteresting/unoriginal (why does she even want to be friend with the airhead?). It's an interesting idea having the MC being a weapon rather than wielder, especially if there's multiple wielder, could be cool if the fight scene are well done and the two girl have different fighting style, I'm guessing that's why they made her an halbert. Oh and minus point for the obvious implied yuri without any actual yuri content in the series.

I didn't finish soul eater, the start was really interesting and the art style was awesome, but then it started doing the stuff I always hate in battle manga, introducing new concept mid series that really should have appeared earlier and discarding most of the interesting stuff about the setting in favor or becoming just another battle manga. This work should be able to avoid falling into these two pitfall, since they can't introduce new concept and it seems like it's going for a more slice of life approach.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:51 pm Reply with quote
It's cute-ish and it's wonderful to see the original cast in this nice, shiny style (highlights in the eyes-SAY WHAT lol)

.........but....I can't help but feel bitter that they chose to animate this moe slice of life psuedo-yuri manga over the rest of the Soul Eater manga like they damn well SHOULD.

.......sorry for my verbal bitterness. >_> But yeah. THAT pisses me off.

Anyway, I'm in agreement with all who say Tsugumi's a good MC...but the other two...need work. I'll follow it anyway.

Quote:
Is Meme's inability to hold a thought in her head or Anya's always saying the opposite of what she means really that different from Kid's OCD or Black Star's megalomania?

Eh.....kinda? For Kid and Star, those aren't their only traits. I feel this is more to them than that. But we also got 51 episodes with them...
Clarste

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Eh.....kinda? For Kid and Star, those aren't their only traits. I feel this is more to them than that. But we also got 51 episodes with them...

Exactly. They have room to grow, and these aren't terrible starting places.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

You might have forgotten but in the early episodes each of them were relentlessly dysfunctional. Over time they were allowed to develop those other traits and it didn't take 51 episodes to do so. I would expect them to follow the same pattern here. I hope so anyway.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9