• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Terror in Resonance (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:26 pm Reply with quote
^I know I'm reading way too much into this, but if she spoiler[fainted from hunger...] Antigone chose spoiler[suicide over starving to death] in the cave. And as I doubt they will just spoiler[leave her lying there, they're probably going to take her in(to their "cave").] I'm clearly geeking out too much here, but...
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:37 pm Reply with quote
That bike scene was so beautiful. I need to get that OST when it comes out. I am still curious about Lisa's past especially in regards with her family. Oh well, she won't be able to go back to normal life anymore.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
That bike scene was so beautiful.

It sure seemed to me like 12 was pretty casual about letting the police see his face. And police cars these days have cameras all over them.

Yes, it does look like a break-out scene for Lisa.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:20 am Reply with quote
So, when Shibazaki said spoiler["you can't erase memories" did anyone else think that that might be the exact power they were setting up for 9 & 12? It would certainly explain why no one remembers their faces (besides Lisa, but I get the impression that 12 wants her to remember them). If they're going to have some kind of magic superpower, memory tampering isn't bad.]

Really enjoyed this episode, the music was especially lovely. Also, I'm not very familiar with mythology, so I really appreciate everyone's theories on the board.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4

Oh, so the place for the bomb this episode was spoiler[the underworld (internet), so naturally it going off was the release of information]. With spoiler[still no victims beyond the government], the goal is something that may be interesting.

And just as I was thinking that it was losing its sense of art, it had the bike scene with the music, my reaction echoes others in that it was beautiful. That was the excellent direction that captured me in the first episode.
shiranehito

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:23 am Reply with quote
This time it's very interesting that they don't terror people with physical damages, but more to a mental damage. I wonder if they wanted public to know that spoiler[their "friend of justice", the police, is hiding deep secrets from the public, so perhaps they're aiming distrust to government from people?] My guess is spoiler[the research facility was actually a government project they wanted the world to know]

This episode is really beautiful until Lisa spoiler[passed out like typical shoujo anime heroine, though justified since she was beaten up by the rain and running here and there for a whole day]
Jacquipuff

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:54 am Reply with quote
Gonna be unoriginal and reiterate what everyone's saying about the bike scene. Seeing spoiler[Lisa laugh] was really great.

Curious to see what will happen now that spoiler[that information has been leaked, and Lisa is actually with the boys.]

And I'm a big mythology fan, so I love the way they're weaving the story of Oedipus throughout this.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:49 am Reply with quote
I'm liking where this show is going so far. It's a slow burn thus far, not really a lot happening, especially since the first episode, but it more or less works. Interesting to see what will happen now that things really seem to be moving forward with Lisa spoiler[actually joining up with the boys.]
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:45 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
It's a slow burn thus far, not really a lot happening, especially since the first episode, but it more or less works.

* Breakneck raid and theft of plutonium from heavily guarded facility.
* Destruction of government skyscraper in 9/11-style collapse.
* Booby trap and detonation in Roppongi police station.
* Reinstatement of ostracized super detective.
* Insane mother.
* Hacking and cyber vandalism.
* Motorcycle chases.
* Intensely convoluted batman-vs-riddler contests based on real mythology.

Four episodes. Not a lot happening. Right.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:54 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
What post credit riddles? Funimation ends the stream with the credits. Looks interesting though.

The Japanese broadcasts end with live-action segments of Sphinx posting riddles from Japan Mensa. I guess they got dropped from the stream since Japanese knowledge is going to be a prerequisite for solving most of them. Also, it's apparently a contest of some sort; they promise a prize for people who submit correct answers within a week after broadcast. Hopefully, the prize does not explode.

Here's a video of the first segment. The post-credit sequence consisted of the first 20 seconds of this. Same deal for episode 2 and episode 3.

This week's riddle I haven't cracked yet:

What's the 20th number in the following sequence?

meiam

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:01 am Reply with quote
Wait wait wait wait, the cop have a sketch from the perpetrator that they can make from probably close to a hundreds of reliable testimony, they also know the person build and height from the video… and they just sit on that and don't release it to the public?! The tech department seems amazing at there job, but the detective are worthless! Even this episode, they think spoiler[they know the building with the bomb in it, so they decide to swarm the building with police officer when there's only a few minute before the bomb blow.. just sigh]

On a good note the music was more prominent this episode so that's pretty great.

So Lisa finally did something somewhat kinda relevant, shame that she also eat up half the show time when they could have done the same things by only showing the bike scene, it wasn't like I particularly needed to see her wander around.

Oh and final revelation thatspoiler[ they hacked into the police website and release the information to the public, at this point I think that was the worse action they could have taken, there so much proof and way they could easily find them, by releasing it to the public it means they'll be seen by people who aren't complete incompetent at there job, they should be caught in 2 day max now]. Rolling Eyes
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:38 pm Reply with quote
I thought the point they were trying to make with the picture was how little of an impression Nine left behind wherever he went. The sketch sort of looked vaguely like him, but it also looked like any generic anime high school boy. Twelve doesn't seem to get as much public exposure, maybe because his blending in and fading into the background isn't quite as natural as it is for Nine. People mentioned how some had already forgotten he had even worked there. Hard to judge from a sketch in an animated world, but it did not seem like the sketch was detailed enough to locate the real person.

Wasn't the police storming the place they thought spoiler[would be their hideout, not where they suspected the bomb to be located]?

As it doesn't seem that they're making up the next steps while they go, but know exactly what they are going to do in the next step, and the one after that, I think they actually fully intend to attract the attention of other groups than the police, and they seem to have a good idea of where things will lead them (Nine warning Twelve spoiler[not to get involved with anyone because things would get more painful in the end]). The intention behind the riddles seems to be not so much about playing the game who's smarter Death Note style, but about getting the intention of the police and public (very obvious after their move in the last episode) in order to take the next step, may it be spoiler[exposing some truth, getting revenge, having the real bad guys behind the curtain found out and arrested], whatever. Maybe they even need the help of the police in order to flush spoiler[their former captors] out in the open, who knows. They intentionally design their riddles solvable for the "right" people.

Personally, I don't think this will end at spoiler[exposing the truth about some secret experiments] and whatnot. Choosing Oedipus as the accompanying myth does not indicate justice or revenge as much as something a lot more grim and tragic. (And they couldn't just have gone with it because of the Sphinx riddles, right? That would be disappointing.) There seems to be a 1934 French retelling of the Oedipus story in which the sphinx asks him to kill her. I don't want to go there.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5:

spoiler[Five']s presence in this show already shocks and impresses me at the same time. Wow. I'm really curious what other goals she has planned. spoiler[Overall a good episode as we see a little glimpse of her past. That terrorist at the subway station was quite something. We will probably find out her motives soon.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:41 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[As expected 9 & 12 don't get along in their opinion about Lisa.
OMG! No wonder! Lisa is a walking disaster.
Another bomb has been planted & riddle given.
Shibazaki is a clever one, but even he has trouble with higher-ups.
That signal block messed up things.
Their past is coming to haunt them.
Things should become even more interesting from now on.]
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Soooooospoiler[ higher up in the government really went and ordered that the bomb not be removed in a densely packed train even knowing that some people in the police knew where the bomb was… cause you know that happens, guess next we'll find that the "smart" detective doesn't even bother coming out to the media with that information, cause you know, the illuminati would send the lizard man after him of something.] Rolling Eyes

spoiler[I'm kinda glad 5 is coming in and the show seems to be shifting from a death note style investigation to a more shonen like show, cause this was getting embarrassing. ]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 25